Planning Help: Safari & Rail Trip Combo

BourbonTrail

AH legend
Joined
Jan 25, 2021
Messages
2,731
Reaction score
8,734
Media
17
Hunting reports
Africa
2
Hunted
USA (AZ, KY, MO, NM, VA), RSA
After SCI, wife wants to go on Rovos Rail for the Pretoria to Vic Falls route. I’m adding on a hunt, and ~10k/7days is my target for daily rates and trophy fees. Preferred timeframe is August 2026, could do September.

I think hunting in Zim would be awesome, but I don’t think I can swing it on the allotted budget/schedule. Also, I have read that Zim isn’t the best for observers. Maybe RSA or Bots for PG?

Questions:
- Rail before or after the hunt?
- Pretoria to Vic Falls or Vic Falls to Pretoria?
- Given the budget, where to hunt?
- Should I take a rifle or use a camp gun?
 
I have done the Rovos twice - Vic Falls to Pretoria in 2019 and CT to Pretoria in 2017.

I have also hunted Zimbabwe once in 2023.

I hunted at Mokore in the Save Conservancy which is nearly on the opposite end of Zim from Vic falls, but I think my wife would have been happy and comfortable relaxing at the camp. No AC, wifi was limited and no pool, but beautiful lodges and views.

Happy to discuss further but to answer your actual questions:

I would do rail after the hunt - you may be seated near someone new at every meal on the train so you will have plenty to talk about after the hunt. Plus I would prefer to end my trip on a nice relaxing train voyage.

Vic Falls to Pretoria is what we did so we could catch an immediate flight home from JNB. Our train was delayed due to tracks overheating and I saw this week there was an accident on this route so it’s probably not a great idea to fly out the same day the train is scheduled to arrive, but we didn’t end up having any issues.

I would hunt Zim again but I have no comparison as it’s the only place I’ve hunted in Africa. Budget wise it should work for you depending on the number of PG you want.

I used a camp gun, as I had no choice due to living overseas at the time.
 
I would also suggest Rail after the hunt with a bit of logitics if you want to bring your rifle and use it in South Africa you could leave it safe in Pretoria ofrJohannesburg at a gun delaer shop for safe keeping an pick it back up after the rail on the way to OR Tambo.

I would suggest hunting Limpopo this time on an area close to Zim or Botswana border next to the mighty Limpopo river.
 
I agree with hunting first and then the train. It sounds like such a neat experience. It would depend on Rovos and their rules for carrying firearms on the train. If they do then I don't think there would be a problem. There are so many options for a hunt it would be hard to make a recommendation. Budget? Does your wife go in the hunt or stay in camp? Is there a main animal on your wish list? Buffalo?
I've always wanted to take my wife, hunt Matetsi, and then tour Victoria Falls after the hunt. Someday.
 
Sounds like an awesome trip.

Hunting then Rail.Relax after hunting trip
Hunt in Limpopo with a few nice things to do for non hunters and camps are usually very comfortable.
Pretoria easy few hours drive from most Limpopo hunting areas.
Pretoria to Vic Falls.
Most flights from Vic Falls into JHB leave around noon and arrive early enough for United and Delta later that evening back to the US.
Use a camp gun or there safe storage facilities close to Johannesburg International.

Rouan
 
Thanks for the feedback.

We end up settling on the following:
  • Fly into Joburg
  • 5 day hunt in Limpopo
    • Using camp gun
    • Sable, Zebra, Impala, Warthog is the plan
  • 4 day rail from Pretoria to Vic Falls
  • 4 days split Vic Falls / Livingstone
  • Fly back from Livingstone airport
Should be fun.
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,275
Messages
1,570,309
Members
168,869
Latest member
NevilleHer
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

curt672 wrote on Robmill70's profile.
So What's the story on the 340 ??? thanks Curt
rdog wrote on Bob Nelson 35Whelen's profile.
Bob i was at Rebel gun works last Friday they had once fired 25/20 brass in their up stairs section , how are the knees going?
hunted So Africa 4 times and more to come
 
Top