Planning for Mozambique

Hunted with Kambako Safaris in Niassa game reserve with Derren Ellerman and his trackers of 18 years Crispen and Kattele. Report in AH. Contact Jumbo Moore and he’ll line you out. I cannot give a higher recommendation to the camp and staff. Have hunted Zim Lake Kariba and Tanzania Selous. Nothing compares to the camp,quality and quantity of game. It is the Royals Royce of tracking buffalo and eland. Kambako controls blocks B and C which gives close to 2.5 million acres of true wilderness. If Derren is unavailable then Ryan Cliffe and Paul can handle the PH duties. PM me if the report gets your interest up!!!

Thanks again for your very helpful answers.

It seems that I might have to change my whole trip to another destination...
The foreign administration has released a high travel warning for parts of Mozambique which makes many things quite more complicated including transport of weapons, health insurance,...
I have no idea how long this warnings will be valid...

Sometimes you lose and sometimes the others win... so maybe let's try South Africa or Namibia first...

I had a great Safari with Kwalata and Jaco in 2021. Jaco and team are great! Joe his lead tracker is fantastic. The camp and logistics are first rate. I will be back this year for another double buffalo hunt. My write up from 2021 is on AH. The buffalo hunting is some of the best in africa! PM me if I can help in anyway.

I think the State Department has been issuing warnings about every African country at one time or another, I know there has been off and on problems in the north of Mozambique, unless it’s terrorism once out of the cities your pretty safe. Most likely your outfitter will keep you advised and have a backup plan. They don’t want trouble for themselves anymore than you do.

Hunted with Kambako Safaris in Niassa game reserve with Derren Ellerman and his trackers of 18 years Crispen and Kattele. Report in AH. Contact Jumbo Moore and he’ll line you out. I cannot give a higher recommendation to the camp and staff. Have hunted Zim Lake Kariba and Tanzania Selous. Nothing compares to the camp,quality and quantity of game. It is the Royals Royce of tracking buffalo and eland. Kambako controls blocks B and C which gives close to 2.5 million acres of true wilderness. If Derren is unavailable then Ryan Cliffe and Paul can handle the PH duties. PM me if the report gets your interest up!!!
Kambako has Block B, now called L8. They used to do something with Block A, now called L9 - I think Kwalata operate in there now? I stand to be corrected.
Kambako has no access to Block C, or L7, as its now called. The safari company in L7/Block C has been operating there for 23 years.

Thanks again for your very helpful answers.

It seems that I might have to change my whole trip to another destination...
The foreign administration has released a high travel warning for parts of Mozambique which makes many things quite more complicated including transport of weapons, health insurance,...
I have no idea how long this warnings will be valid...

Sometimes you lose and sometimes the others win... so maybe let's try South Africa or Namibia first...

Like @Hunt anything, in my 2 trips to Mozambique I regret that I didn't shoot a Bohor Reedbuck or any of the Tiny Ten. I only brought home a Roosevelt Sable and a Leopard...

View attachment 528933View attachment 528934
The composition of your sable photo is one of the best I have seen. Fantastic animal and fantastic inselberg. Well done to you Sir.

Last edited by a moderator:
To me that’s part of the beauty of safari, you always see something to wet the appetite for future hunts! And I have a healthy appetite!
Me too!

Kambako has Block B, now called L8. They used to do something with Block A, now called L9 - I think Kwalata operate in there now? I stand to be corrected.
Kambako has no access to Block C, or L7, as its now called. The safari company in L7/Block C has been operating there for 23 years.
What are the other blocks now called? I’ve been confused on this for a while. Who are the operators of these blocks?

They say it is the best place to get some of the Tiny Ten.
That is great to hear! Headed to Niassa for my first trip this SEP and (beside buffalo) I intend to focus on wildebeest, and tiny ten. Really HAD little interest in much else...Some of these comments (like Jaco saying "can not pass up" Lichtenstein Hartebeest) making me reassess my plan/budget.

Lichtenstein hartebeest is a good call, I was offered one in 2014 that hadn’t been claimed on quota. I shot a beautiful bull with about 10 minutes of light left on the last day. It was a stalk I will never forget. Just me and a tracker, it took about 45 minutes for the PH to show up so William and I were able to quietly talk in a mix of Fanagalo and Portuguese that I had picked up over the safari. I was able to thank him for all of his hard work and that is a time I will cherish forever!

That is great to hear! Headed to Niassa for my first trip this SEP and (beside buffalo) I intend to focus on wildebeest, and tiny ten. Really HAD little interest in much else...Some of these comments (like Jaco saying "can not pass up" Lichtenstein Hartebeest) making me reassess my plan/budget.
Who are you hunting with in Niassa (the province or the Reserve proper)? The Niassa Wildebeest is a beauty - it knocks the socks off any other Wildebeest. Be prepared for your plan to change when you see your first Niassa Eland - they are incredible. The Lichtenstein's is a worthy trophy too and pretty numerous (especially in the centre and west of the Reserve). Someone before me said that Niassa is the Rolls Royce of Buffalo and Eland hunting and I concur wholeheartedly. Enjoy!

If you want to maximize your opportunity on spiral horned game while also having quality buffalo, you may wish to consider Mokore’s Coutada 9 concession. They have Kudu, Nyala, Eland, Bushbuck all available as well as Roosevelt Sable, reedbuck, Lichtenstein Hartebeest, excellent warthogs and some other game. I’ll be hunting there late Oct/early Nov of ‘24.
I went to Coutada 9 with Western Safaris last year. I think the concession is run by three operators working together.

I second the comments on here. It is a truly amazing place. Really well run, fantastic people, the community projects were fantastic and the hunting was amazing.

I have thought about Coutada 9 every few hours since. It is a breathtaking place. Also felt totally safe. The local villages were friendly relaxed places.

Who are you hunting with in Niassa (the province or the Reserve proper)? The Niassa Wildebeest is a beauty - it knocks the socks off any other Wildebeest. Be prepared for your plan to change when you see your first Niassa Eland - they are incredible. The Lichtenstein's is a worthy trophy too and pretty numerous (especially in the centre and west of the Reserve). Someone before me said that Niassa is the Rolls Royce of Buffalo and Eland hunting and I concur wholeheartedly. Enjoy!
L8 Kambako. Buffalo was really the only thing I cared about, but as I learn about each new animal I find I end up interested in hunting them...I just need to somehow make more time and money for all of them now. I also agree those Niassa Wildebeest are beautiful. I have been trying to figure out how best to handle the trophy, to best preserve its uniqueness.

I would take this recommendation with a grain of salt. Jaco has his interests in line and not yours. Just look the threads on here to see how many other hunters he has disappointed. Lies, breaking the hunter/outfitter contract, witholding information from customers until they arrive in camp and many many other examples.
I’m leaving Saturday for my 6th hunt with Jaco and 2nd in Niassa. Don’t know where you are getting your information but I can assure you Jaco and his team are top notch. Just check this thread. You may want to think before trying to slander someone you don’t have experience with.

I leave in 3 weeks for my second hunt with Jaco in Niassa. Jaco is a fantastic PH who always works hard to give his clients the best experience. He has a great team. I could not recommend him enough to anyone interested in hunting in Moz.. You have to wonder why someone would repeatedly post negative things anywhere he can without presenting any facts.

Hey

This topic may already have been discussed, but:

The plans for a possible hunt in Mozambique next year are getting serious.

Of course the first (and most important) species is a buffalo, but beside that - any recommendations from your side which plains game should be considered?
Any species "you have to go for, when you are already in Mozambique"?
(Well, I am not talking about Impalas or Warthogs of course...)

Your help is appreciated :)
I am hunting with @tsala in Moz for a leopard in 25. They have opened a new area. Highly recommend giving them a shout out. Outstanding outfitter and family!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
quniwofei581

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

JG26Irish_2 wrote on WISafariHunter's profile.
About Lon's Elephant hunts w/Tokoloshe? I hear Lon is battling cancer? What is his long term prognosis? I am already booked to hunt Africa in 2024 2025. Might consider 2026 for another African hunt. I want to hunt a more wild open region devoid of civilization. Concern is the risk that I book f/2026 then find poor Lon has passed on? Does Lon have any assistance to carry on the business in his absence?
Life is Short live it how you want...
jgraco33 wrote on 85lc's profile.
Is your 22HP still available? If so have the original case?
tacklers wrote on ianevans's profile.
Hi Ian, I'm contemplating my first outing, leaving UK via Dubai to Africa, taking rifles as you did.

I presume it went okay for you, would you have done anything differently? Cheers, Richard East Sussex