Planned Adventures

How good is the whitetail hunting in Saskatchewan?
Deer densities are lower but they’ve got huge bodies and some really nice chocolate racks

Two “adventures” this year.

Did one regular trip to Mindanao Philippines in May to visit friends and family. Good trip if I don’t count the nightmare of international travel. Some beach time, some mountain time and some diving time. The best part… no out-of-state license plates and no tourists :)

Regular DIY fishing trip to SW AK set for August.

Africa not in the crystal ball that I can see.

Always hunting in S Texas for deer in the fall but more of a fishing year for me. Just got back from a great trip offshore in Venice, La. 20+ lb snapper, yellow fin tuna and a smoker 220 lb swordfish. Headed to Alaska later in the summer for some offshore,salmon and fly out river fishing. Looking at Spain, Italy for next hunting trip but Africa still tops the list for the next adventure.

Kill every damned army worm that is eating my rice!
August 2025 RSA focus on some beasts, black and blue wildebeast, red hartebeest and tsessebe. Taking my daughter and son in law to Africa for the first time. Hopefully they will fall in love with it as my wife and I have done.
Nice...I took my daughter and son in law 10 years ago right after they got married. Now they are taking me back this year to celebrate their 10th anniversary! Hopefully it turns out as well for you in the future!

August 2024: Mixed trophy and cull hunt in Limpopo with Tsala Safaris

Fall 2024: Whitetail deer in NC (both crossbow and rifle) on public land and perhaps in KY on my brother-in-law's farm for bigger bucks.

November 2024: Family trip to Panhandle of Florida with wife's siblings and their spouses. Might go out fishing one day. Definitely will be testing different Key Lime pies.

2025: Would love to hunt Namibia for gemsbuck. Nothing set up yet.

Oct - Jan 2024/25, deer in Georgia
Nov 2024, South Dakota for pheasant, deer (white tail or mule), turkey and some walleye fishing
Jun 2025, South Africa, Eastern Cape for buffalo, kudu, and depending how my wallet is, a few more animals. :)
2026, Alaska if I get tags for moose and maybe bear with @Tundra Tiger.

July 2025 East Cape for Buffalo and plains game as time and money permit. My wife wants to come so a night or two added for a photo park where she can see elephants and kitties, rhino etc

Drew a cow elk archery tag (Utah) so will add an additional multi season spike elk tag. Did not get any deer tags this year. Also drew doe antelope rifle tag which will replenish the jerky supply.

November upland birds in Idaho. Local conditions also excellent so will run my dogs hard all fall. Four species of grouse, chukars, Hungarian partridge, pheasants, dove.
Hope to draw a swan tag or take some friends if they do. Always with the trout and waterfowl!

July 2025 East Cape for Buffalo and plains game as time and money permit. My wife wants to come so a night or two added for a photo park where she can see elephants and kitties, rhino etc

Drew a cow elk archery tag (Utah) so will add an additional multi season spike elk tag. Did not get any deer tags this year. Also drew doe antelope rifle tag which will replenish the jerky supply.

November upland birds in Idaho. Local conditions also excellent so will run my dogs hard all fall. Four species of grouse, chukars, Hungarian partridge, pheasants, dove.
Hope to draw a swan tag or take some friends if they do. Always with the trout and waterfowl!

Who are you hunting with in the Cape? I'm going back with Game 4 Africa. I believe I got the last buffalo special Wik had. We are also planning on spending a couple of days in Cape Town playing tourist. My wife is also coming along this time.

How good is the whitetail hunting in Saskatchewan?
I booked through WTA this is my first trip up there. Me and a couple of buddies we will be at Northway Outfitters Lodge.
I'll give a report after I get home

Premium Colorado archery elk for my brother Sep 24

Wife and sister in law Colorado Muledeer
Nov 24

As many days possible of duck/goose hunting
Sep24-Jan25

Nwke Botswana March 25

(Hopefully) Eastern Cape July 26

Two “adventures” this year.

Did one regular trip to Mindanao Philippines in May to visit friends and family. Good trip if I don’t count the nightmare of international travel. Some beach time, some mountain time and some diving time. The best part… no out-of-state license plates and no tourists :)

Regular DIY fishing trip to SW AK set for August.

Africa not in the crystal ball that I can see.
Some pics-
First group- Mindanao, Philippines. The real "adventure" however was keeping up with and managing our newest "stray" we just gathered up... with full guardianship- a 2 1/2 year old... Oh my!! :):)

0-12.jpeg

0-2.jpeg

IMG_0900.jpg

Phil Lem. scuba 1.jpg

0-9.jpeg

Screen Shot 2024-07-06 at 9.33.55 PM.png

Second Group- various pics from SW Alaska, less than a month from now. Been fishing these same areas for last 18 years or so.

0-7.jpeg

0-8.jpeg

0-6.jpeg

0-13.jpeg

@fourfive8 ... What part of SW Alaska?

Revised, for me....

Early August: maybe a fall bear hunt near home.

Early September: a moose hunt with a young friend, hoping to get him his first bug game animal.

Late September: goat hunt on Kodiak.

***Possible local caribou hunt if I draw a tag.

2025: RSA plains game hunt in June, hopefully overlapping PARA45. I had hoped to do a lion hunt but some upheaval on the home front is likely going to put a hold on that.

@fourfive8 ... What part of SW Alaska?
Fair question. Being a USFWS PIO, you would know many areas there. :)
Since 1977, I have regularly visited, hunted and fished in most all parts of AK. I've had friends and relatives scattered all over the state. Except for a few legally required guided hunts, I go DIY. Looking at the current, astronomically high pricing of many hunts or even fishing trips, I won't be partaking any those adventures ever again. Some of the guided lodge/fishing trips at $12-14K for 6 day fishing is only for either the well healed or the "one and done bucket listers" with money. I have rotated among several areas for fishing in SW AK for years now.... way down the Peninsula fishing little known waters, out of Bethel over on the other side of the hill from Dilingham :), near Iguigig on the Kvichak, somewhere on the Naknek or based out of King Salmon or something out of Dillingham or on the Nushagak. I have never partaken in one of the expensive lodge-based trips or fly outs into the Wood-Tikchik or chain of lakes- plenty of other areas for unique fishing and exploring. But, I do like to try new areas and see new "scenery". This year going back to one I've tried before specifically after sea-lice-fresh Cohos on the Nushagak plus a one day fly out if conditions allow. Looking back, I think my favorite fishing through all the years and all the areas has been swinging a big fly for 30 inch plus rainbows on the Kvichak with a close second being plastic beads for large char or rainbows during the sockeye spawn in one of the smaller "spawning" streams. I have my honey holes but no info forthcoming ;)

@fourfive8 ... Thank you for that sir!

We have some great DIY destinations for fishing, floating, and hunting. But I do admit to bias for around DLG. My favorite float is the Ongivinuk River. Phenomenal scenery, oodles of great campsites, not open to commercial outfitters, and fish: sooo many Dollies, salmon, and 20+ inch grayling.

I am with you on what outfitters charge. It is amazing to me how many people come here but somehow think Africa is too much. :oops:

If you are ever in Dillingham a meal at the diner is on me.

@fourfive8 ... Thank you for that sir!

We have some great DIY destinations for fishing, floating, and hunting. But I do admit to bias for around DLG. My favorite float is the Ongivinuk River. Phenomenal scenery, oodles of great campsites, not open to commercial outfitters, and fish: sooo many Dollies, salmon, and 20+ inch grayling.

I am with you on what outfitters charge. It is amazing to me how many people come here but somehow think Africa is too much. :oops:

If you are ever in Dillingham a meal at the diner is on me.

Thank you for the very kind offer! If I have my AK diners straight, you can see into the front window of the diner from the back window of your office building... ;)

IIRC, pretty good hamburgers and shakes there :)

Thank you for the very kind offer! If I have my AK diners straight, you can see into the front window of the diner from the back window of your office building... ;)

IIRC, pretty good hamburgers and shakes there :)

Yes!!!! Bayside Diner. We also have a great restaurant by the harbor.

Meal's on me good sir.

I have a semi self guided hunt in March 25 in a West African country for Dwarf Buff (if permit is available) Red River Hog, Hyena & some small stuff, I will disclose where on my return.

Been trying for 4yrs now & something keeps happening there, elections go crazy, government take overs & riots but I don’t care this time, even if Airport is on fire & folks being beheaded in the streets, I’m going !!

Yes!!!! Bayside Diner. We also have a great restaurant by the harbor.

Meal's on me good sir.
Memory like an ele ;) I think I could find my way (or crawl) blindfolded between Eddie's and the Sockeye in King Salmon also :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NorbertoBr

Latest profile posts

I hunted elephant with Luke Samaris in 2005. It was my fourth safari and I tell you he is a fine gentleman the best. I got the opportunity to meet Patty Curtis, although never hunted with him but enjoyed our conversation around our tent in the Selous. Very sad for a tough guy to leave this world the way he did. Let’s pray the murderers are caught. I hope to see Luke in Nashville.
RLP wrote on professor's profile.
Good morning. I am a Ruger fan myself. Have you sold to anyone on the site before? How old is the ammo?

RLP
We have been very busy hunting! Lots of pictures and videos in process!

Grandpa Moose wrote on Ontario Hunter's profile.
Thanks for the advice/help. Hope the kids get a good plug from my mis post. Rain like crazy here