PH/Outfitters/experienced hunters- Cape Buffalo 2026

RLP

AH member
Reaction score
Member of
NRA
Hunted
USA- NY, Pennsylvania, NJ, Maryland, Connecticut, Manie, Florida, Texas, California, Arizona
Looking to book/plan my first Cape Buffalo hunt for 2026. My interest is leaning away from South Africa and a resort style camp. Camping in a tent will be fine. Mozambique, Zimbabwe, Tanzania and Botswana (or somewhere else you recommend) all are on the table in no particular order. Unfortunately, cost will be a consideration, but travel time and hunting time will not be restrictive.

The focus on the hunt must be a cape buffalo or two- males, no females, the older the better. Other game interest me Sable, wildebeest and warthog, but the full focus must be on a quality buf hunt.

Thank you in advance for providing your advice and thoughts...

Roger

Looking to book/plan my first Cape Buffalo hunt for 2026. My interest is leaning away from South Africa and a resort style camp. Camping in a tent will be fine. Mozambique, Zimbabwe, Tanzania and Botswana (or somewhere else you recommend) all are on the table in no particular order. Unfortunately, cost will be a consideration, but travel time and hunting time will not be restrictive.

The focus on the hunt must be a cape buffalo or two- males, no females, the older the better. Other game interest me Sable, wildebeest and warthog, but the full focus must be on a quality buf hunt.

Thank you in advance for providing your advice and thoughts...

Roger

I'd recommend Zim. High quality PHs I've known or used would be this shortlist:

Vaughan Whitehead Wilson
Garth Adams
John Sharp
Peter Barnard

The latter two are very experienced PHs in their 50s to late 60s. They have a strong book built over a lifetime so you'll pay more and they have fewer openings. The first two are more affordable because they are in their late-30s or early-40s launching with younger companies. Nonetheless, many people here have hunted wild dangerous game with all of the above.

Sable and Buffalo are doable, but not frequently in the same regions of Zim. Mozambique is probably best known for that combo hunt.

None of them advertise much, you won't find them running banner ads or engaging much on forums.

Reactions: RLP
I’ve hunted with charlton McCallum Safaris twice in Dande East and Dande North/Safari area in Zambezi valley. Highly recommend. You’ll get on buffalo daily but it will be a pure tracking hunt. Both have good sable numbers as well. I wouldn’t expect to see any buffalo from the vehicle. Whoever you pick I’d tell you to only look at full time outfitters in the country you are hunting not outfitters from neighboring countries selling the occasional hunt in that area. I think you’ll find Zimbabwe is the best combination of price and experience.

I'd recommend Zim. High quality PHs I've known or used would be this shortlist:

Vaughan Whitehead Wilson
Garth Adams
John Sharp
Peter Barnard

The latter two are very experienced PHs in their 50s to late 60s. They have a strong book built over a lifetime so you'll pay more and they have fewer openings. The first two are more affordable because they are in their late-30s or early-40s launching with younger companies. Nonetheless, many people here have hunted wild dangerous game with all of the above.

Sable and Buffalo are doable, but not frequently in the same regions of Zim. Mozambique is probably best known for that combo hunt.

None of them advertise much, you won't find them running banner ads or engaging much on forums.
Thank you for the information. Do you have their contact information? Do you know if they are on here?

Roger

Thank you for the information. Do you have their contact information? Do you know if they are on here?

Roger

none of them are, RLP. I'll send you a PM with their whatsapp details and you can follow up with them. You can certainly post a thread on AH before you book with any operator asking for a reference check to verify the quality of the operators. This board is invaluable for verifying character and competency.

I’ve hunted with charlton McCallum Safaris twice in Dande East and Dande North/Safari area in Zambezi valley. Highly recommend. You’ll get on buffalo daily but it will be a pure tracking hunt. Both have good sable numbers as well. I wouldn’t expect to see any buffalo from the vehicle. Whoever you pick I’d tell you to only look at full time outfitters in the country you are hunting not outfitters from neighboring countries selling the occasional hunt in that area. I think you’ll find Zimbabwe is the best combination of price and experience.

Roger

Roger
You can do a search on google and they will come up first result. There are not many Zimbabwe outfitters represented on AH just 3 sponsors mbalabala, tokoloshe, and Nyamazana. Mbalabala hunts Makuti. I’d hunt with them if I was choosing a Zimbabwe outfitter on this site to hunt with. Most offers here are South Africans selling hunts in Zimbabwe.

Most offers here are South Africans selling hunts in Zimbabwe.

I sure hope that's not true, because its illegal for a South African PH or Operator to conduct hunts in Zimbabwe...you'd never get the trophies and you'd probably get thrown in jail. If that's true, someone would be wise to check with the Zimbabwe Hunters and Guides Association to verify the citizenship and good standing of the Zim PH before booking a hunt!

I sure hope that's not true, because its illegal for a South African PH or Operator to conduct hunts in Zimbabwe...you'd never get the trophies and you'd probably get thrown in jail. If that's true, someone would be wise to check with the Zimbabwe Hunters and Guides Association to verify the citizenship and good standing of the Zim PH before booking a hunt!
It’s legal when they go through a Zimbabwe PH, but in my opinion the better Zimbabwe PHs and better areas don’t need a South African outfitter to market hunts for them as their own areas.

I can highly recommend Tsala Safaris, they have a large concession in Mozambique. I hunted with them in SA in June and I will be going back with them in 2026 or 2027!

@RLP I will be hunting with @ndumo HUNTING SAFARIS, a AH sponsor, for cape buffalo in 2025. They hunt in the Caprivi area of Namibia. Take a look at their website. True safari type camps in the Zambezi region.

Also, occasionally a cancellation hunt comes up with one of the AH sponsors. Keep a look out for those.

lots of good sponsor outfitters here that can help you out.
Start with the Resouces Tab at the top of the page, and pull down to Outfitters. You will have lots of info to sort through.
Planning is all part of the fun!

You can do a search on google and they will come up first result. There are not many Zimbabwe outfitters represented on AH just 3 sponsors mbalabala, tokoloshe, and Nyamazana. Mbalabala hunts Makuti. I’d hunt with them if I was choosing a Zimbabwe outfitter on this site to hunt with. Most offers here are South Africans selling hunts in Zimbabwe.
So interesting, thank you.

I would recommend Zimbabwe or Zambia. If Sable is important, Zambia may be the better choice.

Dande with CMS is fantastic for buffalo, but PG are limited. I have heard great things about Nyakasanga and hope to hunt it in the future.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ronny98M01

Latest profile posts

Ryanelson wrote on Sturgeondrjb's profile.
I wanted to know if you minded answering a dew questions on 45-70 in africa
HerbJohnson wrote on Triathlete3's profile.
If you have an email, I would love to be able to chat with you about J.P.H. Prohunt. My email address is [redacted]. Thanks.
Another Wildebees cull shot this morning!
We are doing a cull hunt this week!

Hyde Hunter wrote on Ontario Hunter's profile.
which East Cape Taxidermist are you referring to? I had Lauriston do my work not real happy with them. oh thanks for the advise on the mount hangers a few months ago. Jim