AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Hunted
us mexico alaska south africa
My wife has really sensitive skin anybody had experience with permethrin treated clothes irritating skin?

You can always take bug spray such as OFF, take a product with Deet and leave over there the PH will appreciate it.

You’re asking the wrong question…where are you going to hunt when? If April-August pretty much anyplace but Zambia and Tanzania my experience has been the need for insect protection is overstated big time. The only insects on all my safaris have been Mopani Bees that don’t sting but are a nuisance. If it was me don’t do anything to her clothes and take Skin So Soft insect creams if needed. If you are going to Tanzania or Zambia she is in trouble anyway given Tsetse flies are a way of life and permitrin is a help but not a cure. Several people get a rash from the previous soaked clothes. The only way to find out is to take a shirt, soak in the insecticide let your wife wear on a 3 mile walk in the sun…if no reaction she is good to go if a reaction now you know. Africa is no place to find this out for the first time when you can find out here. I think it’s awesome that she hunts with you!!!!

Pyrethrum is very effective against ticks and mosquitoes but not on tsetse flies. Once applied to clothes it should last numerous washings. I have read on this forum of people having a reaction but this seemed to occur when too strong a dilution was used. Buy the premixed spray, make sure clothes have dried for a day before using and try a test run and see if there is a reaction. A few years ago my pants were covered in pepper ticks but I never received a bite. Good luck.

You’re asking the wrong question…where are you going to hunt when? If April-August pretty much anyplace but Zambia and Tanzania my experience has been the need for insect protection is overstated big time. The only insects on all my safaris have been Mopani Bees that don’t sting but are a nuisance. If it was me don’t do anything to her clothes and take Skin So Soft insect creams if needed. If you are going to Tanzania or Zambia she is in trouble anyway given Tsetse flies are a way of life and permitrin is a help but not a cure. Several people get a rash from the previous soaked clothes. The only way to find out is to take a shirt, soak in the insecticide let your wife wear on a 3 mile walk in the sun…if no reaction she is good to go if a reaction now you know. Africa is no place to find this out for the first time when you can find out here. I think it’s awesome that she hunts with you!!!!
Mosquitoes are really overstated but not ticks in South Africa. The worst ticks I’ve seen have been in May in Limpopo. Areas that burn every year or get well below freezing generally don’t have the ticks, so I’ve seen very few ticks outside private land in South Africa except a few on game.

I used to use it quite regularly when I belonged to a archery club where chiggers were prevalent. I was concerned with skin reaction since I have pretty sensitive skin, and the can said to avoid contact with the spray on your skin. One day a gentleman came through one of our shoots who had a background in chemistry. He told me that it was a synthetic similar to chrysanthemum, and there was generally no danger with skin contact, only that it was not effective if put on skin. I rarely had time to put it on my clothes before arriving at the club. I would pull my pants cuffs up, spray my socks and the pants at the bottom, then around my waist. It was very effective at keeping chiggers at bay.

I use sawyer brand permethrin every year during spring turkey season, and throughout the summer. Never had a reaction myself, can't speak to what others may experience.

I suggest doing a pair of socks, waiting several days and washing once.
Then wear all day to see.

Last June in Limpoppo, two of the PHs in camp picked off a few ticks every night. They are immune to Tic Bite Fever, btw. I had none thanks to Sawyer Permethrin.

Never had a reaction to my treated clothes. However I found out when in Limpopo that the 30% deet irritated my ears and neck. Only used it once and could not wait ti get back to the lodge and wash up. Never had problems with bugs in August . Did see ticks on animals and in the dirt. Got bite more when got back in the states. Try before you go.

My wife and I have used Sawyer’s brand to treat our clothing worn in South Africa and Tanzania. We found it to be VERY effective to repel and kill ticks on contact with no adverse side effects to us.

We applied Ben’s repellent to our skin and found it worked well to repel Tse Tse flies. Our companions went without and got bitten frequently until we loaned them some for the reminder of the safari.

Last edited:
Reactions to any chemicals follow a normal distribution (bell curve). There are the 95% who fall within 2 standard deviations of the mean who suffer mild to unpleasant reactions; then there are those in the bottom 2.5% who have no reaction; and those in the upper 2.5% who have bad reactions.

Find out before you leave which group she's in. @NW James chemist acquaintance was quite right. Pyrethrin flowers are in the chrysanthemum family, both similar to nasturtiums.

never an issue. Spray it on the outside of your clothes as directed, don't soak. The liquid is just the delivery system so the effective ingredients largely stay outside. Use picaradin on exposed skin. have fun.

My wife and daughter both have fairly sensitive skin - think certain detergents, bandage adhesives, etc. They also get big welts instantly from mosquito bites, and sometimes tick bites can be visible for weeks on them...

Neither have had any adverse reactions to permethrin, and we soak our clothes to make sure spots arent missed by spraying, then let them drip dry. We're strong believers in permethrin.

Ann and I soaked our clothes, let them hang dry, then wore them around locally to see if either of us had a reaction. Neither of us did. But, it didn't help with any exposed skin the tsetse flies found! ;-)

Never had issue with skin sensitivity. Used to treat clothes many times.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KathleenNe

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Smo1127 wrote on duckfish's profile.
Neen doing Zelle or Venmo with other members, let me know if good for you and Ill give you my info. Im semding other orders out tomorrow so if paid today ill ship tomorrow
cwpayton wrote on Trogon's profile.
Hey trogon thanks for the shipping trophys info, so this being my first time shipping ,did you hire a firm here in the states to handle the import or was that an African firm, I would be happy with a cost around 3000+.
JG26Irish_2 wrote on 9412765's profile.
RE: Interarms Whitworth 375HH f/sale f/$850. If still available, I will buy it. I am in KY can do a face to face deal. My e-mail is:

kent.warco.llc@gmail.com or PM me here. Cell is: 606-923-3162

Your 5 hrs f/me. You travel to OH w/work. If you can be at Cincinnati, OH that 1/2 way. I can travel most days but Friday afternoons are best. Let's set up a date/time/location to meet up.
thriller wrote on Sue Tidwell's profile.
Just finished your book (audio) and ordered a hardback for my Library. You did a wonderful job explaining the way conservation works in Africa, and my wife is interested in reading your book now. Thank you for your work.
Bluecyclone wrote on LES7's profile.
Hello there,
Could you tell me if your model 70 has two recoil lugs? I have heard some of the super express rifles had one, while the safari express has two.
Thank you.
Brant.