Perfect Safari or Tropical Hunting Shirt

I have finally sided with Boyt shirts. I think I have tried them all and I seem to always come back to them. Cool in the heat with vents yet warm versus synthetics when cold. Just me…although not used one of the few left with shell pockets. I like them so much I bought three left hand versions even though I am right hand
The shooting pad is useless anyway. to get my size, I had to buy the left hand version which is fine...my PH's just look at me funny to see a right handed guy shooting wearing a left hand shirt...LMAO!!!

The shooting pad is useless anyway. to get my size, I had to buy the left hand version which is fine...my PH's just look at me funny to see a right handed guy shooting wearing a left hand shirt...LMAO!!!
Just tell them you decided to try and make the hunt more challenging by trying to shoot right handed on this safari.
:LOL: :LOL:

Safe hunting

I would really like a Safari shirt to have button down pockets that a passport would actually fit in. So far I’ve not owned a Safari shirt that would work.

I have a shirt that I got from the old Mossy Oak store that has a zipper pocket underneath the left breast pocket that my passport fits in perfectly. I wear it on travel days and can wear it hunting if my bags are misplaced as it is lightweight and olive drab.

e9a19e9fd4e8f16a3317b28b3429fede.jpg

Game Guard, Ex Officio. Synthetics dry fast. Hunting starts 9/1 in deep south Texas and continues thru February. Am generally in a olive tshirt,shorts and snake boots until mid November, Not unusual to have 100 degree temps while hunting, cotton gets wet and stays wet. Both of the mentioned companies use synthetics, previously cotton and have migrated away over performance in the heat. Simms also sells their fishing shirts in earthy colors as well as camo.

i had a similar issue with shirts so i mickey moused my own and it worked great.
ll bean long sleeved canvas shirt.
Then i purchased two bottles of RIT dye (one dark brown and one dark green)
mixed the dyes on hot water per directions. 1/4c brown and 1/2 c green. It approximates olive drab. Then i fixed the dye with RIT dye fixative.
Anyway it fit the bill. And it comes in well under your budget. Two button up breast pockets and all.

I haven't seen Poncho mentioned yet, I've heard nothing but great things about them and see them worn often in filmed African hunts.
Poncho shirts and kuiu mesa vented is pretty much all I wear everyday now. Hunting or not

I don’t understand the seemingly widespread love of cotton clothing for outdoor and athletic endeavors. It’s super slow drying after getting wet with sweat, rain, etc. It’s useless for retaining warmth in cold weather. It retains body odor more than any other fabric. What is good about it? Its “breathability?” That’s way overrated.

Modern synthetics dry very fast, don’t retain odors, can retain warm well in cold weather (depending on how it’s made), and can provide excellent sun protection (again, depending on the particulars of the fabric).

Merino wool is even better than synthetics in many situations and better than cotton in almost every situation. (Excluding dress and casual shirts for business/leisure/ casual wear, which we’re not talking about here.). Merino is lightweight and cooler than cotton and most synthetics in hot weather. It’s way warmer than cotton and most synthetics in cold weather. It doesn’t “feel” wet until it’s really soaked because it’s hollow fibers wick moisture from your body. Best of all, merino doesn’t absorb odors. I sweat more than anyone I know (as my son says, “you sweat when you read, Dad”) and I can wear a merino t-shirt for several days in very hot weather with it remaining odor-free the entire time. It also drys much faster than cotton (though not as fast as synthetics).

If you want buttons and pockets, get a high-performance synthetic fabric. If you don’t need those, wear merino t-shirts with short or long sleeves.

To each his own; I've yet to encounter a synthetic shirt which was comfortable in hot weather or during strenuous physical activity. I agree with you regarding wool (weather dependent of course). Haven't seen the merino wool t-shirts and will need to check that out.

I find that synthetic shirts feel slimy, very off-putting. The most comfortable shirts I have are the Westley Richards safari ones in brushed Italian cotton. They are a bit thicker and therefore warm, but great for a cool morning. I also don't lile a limp floppy shirt, the WR ones keep their form well.

Graghopper - solar dry - long lasting. Comfortable and wash and dry very quick.

My take on shirts. I still like cotton for most things. Cotton shirts and trousers do not make as much noise when going thru the bush, synthetics make a scratching sound as they are man made fibers. Bare skin makes no noise either, you just suffer scratches and bites. if you are that close to something with terrific hearing it could make a difference. My fifty cents worth, as two cents is worth spit these days.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JorgeGirdl

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

expoB wrote on Ontario Hunter's profile.
Total con artist! Bradley Joseph Clemens!
expoB wrote on Ontario Hunter's profile.
Regarding Senga Senga. Brad Clemens. Do your research with him. He owes people money…took deposits, no hunt! Two words, for anyone who wants to hire him…..background check. His character shows and this character follows every aspect of his life. Not to be trusted at all!
Grandpa Moose wrote on Ontario Hunter's profile.
Thanks for the advice/help. Hope the kids get a good plug from my mis post. Rain like crazy here
swag05 wrote on Inline6's profile.
Is the Americas still available? Does it have wheels? I am interested
matt2H wrote on matt vejar's profile.
Hey there Matt - i would love to understand some more about your bringing trophies home from South Africa in your checked luggage. My PH is holding onto a bushbuck euro and flatskin for me - and i am due back in South Africa in just over a week. He does have the export permit provided by the taxidermist for me. When you have a moment - could we go through the EDC Form and App? Looking forward to hearing from you.