Perfect Safari or Tropical Hunting Shirt

When lowering the rifle?
exactly

It's more of a thing for us lefties. For most shirts with a single pocket, the pocket is over the left breast.

Another vote for poncho, try em and you will love it

I’m including 2 shirts I wear all the time. camo may be out but the 1st is a great base layer and it has thumb holes to keep the sleeves down and a hood. The second is from 511 tactical and includes pen, light, or glasses holders on the sleeves, multiple outside pockets and inside pockets as well.
IMG_1796.jpeg
IMG_1797.jpeg

exactly

It's more of a thing for us lefties. For most shirts with a single pocket, the pocket is over the left breast.
Yea find chest pockets that you can’t button or zip closed all but worthless anyway.

Stuff would always be falling out. I don’t own a hunting shirt with a open top chest pocket and never would.

And I never even considered the rifle butt thing so even more reason to hate the idea

exactly

Boyt harness makes lefty shirts. It has a shoulder pad on the left shoulder and right breast has button pocket and shell loops. Long tails too which is essential for me being 6,4”. I have one long sleeve (with the tab and button for holding roller) and one short sleeve and they are my favorite field shirts hands down.

Boyt harness makes lefty shirts. It has a shoulder pad on the left shoulder and right breast has button pocket and shell loops. Long tails too which is essential for me being 6,4”. I have one long sleeve (with the tab and button for holding roller) and one short sleeve and they are my favorite field shirts hands down.
Yeah, I'm 6'6", totally get that.

XLT fits me in length, but is snug
2XL usually fits length (not always) and across my shoulders and chest
2XLT just swallows me

A pretty tough and durable shirt that lasts for years and comes in either 190 gramm or 145 gramm cotton with large pockets held down by velcro are the Serengeti, made by Ruggedwear in South africa.
I have personally used both in olive for manyt many years.

I'm hosting a dove hunt today at my place in SC where it will be 93 degress with a heat index of 99. Humidity will be about 50% and no shade. Poncho shirts are the way to go.

When I was in Zim (September '21) they were great as well. No problem with the "laundry" service. They were perfect tracking buff and fishing on the Zambezi.

SClawyer, I have a Poncho brand shirt. Wouldn’t the synthetic material be noisy on final stalking approach through thick brush and thorns

A pretty tough and durable shirt that lasts for years and comes in either 190 gramm or 145 gramm cotton with large pockets held down by velcro are the Serengeti, made by Ruggedwear in South africa.
I have personally used both in olive for manyt many years.
I have these in both weights. I was amazed how cool the heavyweight version is. Really good shirts and not too expensive

Depending on what country you are hunting in Africa, your clothing is usually washed each day and "ironed".

Cotton hold up well when it is "ironed", I do not think the synthetic clothing would do the same.

You see the ironing of washed clothing, is so that the water born bugs are killed.

So, your point being that you hunt in Texas and Florida and you do not have the ironing part to overcome and you are able to wear synthetic clothing.

Thanks for that. I had no idea. Sounds like they're not exactly washing in potable water, eh?

pockets definitely need button-able flaps. nice to be able to put stuff in them, very convenient, but open-top pockets, at least for me, are a good place to snag the toe of the butt stock.
I have finally sided with Boyt shirts. I think I have tried them all and I seem to always come back to them. Cool in the heat with vents yet warm versus synthetics when cold. Just me…although not used one of the few left with shell pockets. I like them so much I bought three left hand versions even though I am right hand

Exactly what I wear!

SClawyer, I have a Poncho brand shirt. Wouldn’t the synthetic material be noisy on final stalking approach through thick brush and thorns
Theyre not noisy at all to me. Just as quiet as my cotton tag shirts (which I also like).

I've spent more than my share of time in the elements.
Heat, cold, flight suit, camo, wetsuit... ever had calluses INSIDE your lips from a snorkel or regulator? Had sand rub your body hair off like you shaved it?

Not saying I'm an expert on gear matters but I'm really really surprised to see so many championing straight cotton.

Honest question- have you guys tried blends and synthetics? Wicking, antimicrobial, UPF, etc. Some really nice stuff out there.

For Texas and Florida I typically have a skin tight long sleeve stretchy upf50 (columbia) as a base ( plus a rimmed tilley hat for sun as i'm a paleface) and add nylon, flannel, goretex, or even Cordura for cold, wind, rain, or thorns.

Cotton holds water, sticks to skin, and never seems to dry.

is there a bit of fashion over function going on ?
I had to laugh reading the first part. I can remember wiping myself down with the old Vaseline gauze pads when I knew we would be hitting salt marshes and mangrove swamps.

I think there is a lot of fashion and love of the classics going on. I know there is for me when I am hunting. Especially since I will be hunting under much more civil conditions than when I really needed high tech kit. When hunting, I am generally in cotton/cotton blends and/or wool/wool blends.

The most high-tech clothing I use now is the 5.11 clothing. Their shorts and pants are almost indestructible. For my walks and farm visits here in Colombia, I wear a wicking/UPF long sleeve shirt and 5.11 pants or shirts.

Safe hunting

“They're not noisy at all to me. Just as quiet as my cotton tag shirts (which I also like).”

That’s great to hear. Because they are great shirts. Wick moisture well.

I just bought a used, like new Boyt $26

IMG_1415.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
I think there is a lot of fashion and love of the classics going on. I know there is for me when I am hunting. Especially since I will be hunting under much more civil conditions than when I really needed high tech kit. When hunting, I am generally in cotton/cotton blends and/or wool/wool blends.

The most high-tech clothing I use now is the 5.11 clothing. Their shorts and pants are almost indestructible. For my walks and farm visits here in Colombia, I wear a wicking/UPF long sleeve shirt and 5.11 pants or shirts.

^^ This ^^

Everything is situation dependent... When hunting in most parts of Southern Africa, during periods that most US and European hunters travel there, temperatures are pretty mild (certainly not excessively cold or hot.. although there have been days Ive sweated more than I anticipated or got a bit chilly and wished I had another layer on), rain is highly improbable, etc.. Love of the classics can be applied without a lot of discomfort (or no discomfort at all).. you dont NEED kydex.. leather will do.. you dont NEED high tech clothing materials.. cotton and other natural fabrics will do just fine.. you dont NEED a $400 pair of super high tech boots.. any $59 set of hiking boots will get the job done, etc..

Move that conversation to hunting ducks on the coast of kodiak island in late November.. and things change dramatically (as I learned the hard way).. it is very easy to get very cold and very wet very quickly.. to the point of being dangerous... It is certainly in your best interest to have the warmest, driest, lightest attire you can afford.. and its probably a good idea to have fire starting capability, emergency first aid gear, and a host of other things with you as well..

Or.. decide you want to hunt bongo in the congo mid African summer.. or Ibex in pakistan in the fall.. etc.. different situation.. and very different requirements..

but for a typical PG hunt in Namibia, South Africa, Zambia, Botswana, etc during the typical time of year that most foreign hunters do those types of hunts in those locations.. pretty much anything can work, and work well within reason.. .

I have seen people hunting (successfully) in cotton t-shirts and shorts with hiking boots.. guys in $200 "safari" shirts and custom safari pants with russell boots that cost more than the rest of their clothing combined, etc.. and everything in between... Im pretty sure what shirt, pants, or shoes they were wearing had minimal impact at most on their success rate, and only probably marginal impact on their overall comfort level (I'd guess the guys in the $9 cotton t-shirts were the most comfortable as long as it was a warm day)...

And then there is Mama. Her lucky shirt is a long sleeve black tshirt that says “Hoochie Mama Huntress” that she pairs with 5.11 pants and ostrich Courtney’s or camo tennis shoes.

Safe hunting

I usually just wear T shirts it’s nice to have a heavier shirt to start out with.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wilhelmdup

Latest profile posts

NYAMAZANA SAFARIS wrote on majorsafari's profile.
Trail cam image is of a cat we never took .. it’s not a great image but I can assure you it’s a very big cat . Other photo is of my client with his cat this year .

IMG_3426.jpeg
IMG_2910.jpeg
thokau wrote on Just a dude in BC's profile.
Hallo, ein Freund von mir lebt auf einer Farm in den Rocky Mountains.
Leider kam es dort in den letzten Wochen zu Bränden.
Hoffe es geht dir gut!?