Perfect Rifle for Eland and Lion

I personally know people who have had the Speer bullet fail to exit on deer and hogs.

Speaking of hogs, I have a Boarbuster trap. In it, I have trapped and killed more than 350 hogs in the last 4 years.

This has given me the opportunity to test a lot of bullets on real critters.

Have not shot one with my 9.3 yet but will get to it.

But I have shot them with my 375 H&H.

I have used a bunch of different bullets, Woodleigh Hydros, Bear Claws and Barnes TSX to name a few of the premiums.

I have used 235 grain TSX bullets at 2700 fps as well as 300 grain TSX bullets at 2500.

The TSX bullets at this velocity kill like a lightening strike. They just do.
I think you’ll be pleasantly surprised at what a fine pig killer the 9,3 is.

As there is so much experience and wisdom combined in this thread, may I also ask a big cat (especially leopard but lion also) related question:

Do you think the 300gr Norma Oryx is a good choice in .375 H&H for the cats?

Thanks in advance and sorry for misleading the original thread...

I can report the the Noth Fork 450s going 2350 in the 458Lott performed extremely well. On my lion the fist shot was broadside, that was a clean pass through. He ran forward and to my left around a bush. Before he got to the other side, was able to get a quartering away shot in him. The bullet hit ahead of his rear leg and broke the offside shoulder. Unfortunately the bullet was not recovered. I would say it had close to 4' penetration. Heart and lungs were mush.

Eland...well my little guy was on fire making some really good shots. I let him take my Eland. It was way smaller than my 458Lott, hahaha.

I'll have a report and let the fun begin.

I think a 338 mag is ideal for eland and lion. Good penetrative and a little extra velocity hopefully some shock on the lion. Anything from 300 win mag to 375 h&h will do the job. Larger calibres mean more recoil and less accurate shots.

...Larger calibres mean more recoil and less accurate shots.
I tend to disagree with that statement. If someone is accurate with their smaller caliber rifles, they would be just as accurate (especially first shot) with the rest if they practice and know their rifles.

These shots here were accurate.

As far as the OP goes, all of the suggestions from 9.3 and up make sense. However, if he is going to RSA for his lion hunt I'd recommend the .470 double. The lion might have worn out the drugs and he could have a charge situation. :unsure:

For the record I'll use a .450-400NE for my lion in Zambia next year and will be using .500NE for bait (buffalo, hippo etc.).

I would go with a 375 H&H for lion and eland. Great all around caliber. I’d want something a bit bigger for shooting bait such as hippo, buff, etc….

Minimum is a 308/30-06 according to many PH,s and I agree but would prefer a 9,3x62 or 338 and a 375 would certainly be a good choice..

Minimum is a 308/30-06 according to many PH,s and I agree but would prefer a 9,3x62 or 338 and a 375 would certainly be a good choice..
30-06 is not legal in zim but 300 win mag is. Eland and lion are in the same category here in zim. Most old pros say that a bit of extra velocity helps with the cats but doesn't make much difference on the eland. I filmed a big bull eland drop with one shot from a 30 06 in Moz. It then took 2 more 3006 and a couple of 470 NE before it stopped wriggling. I would be happy with a 3006 or 308 but I guess I would follow the rules especially on the lion. Africa is not a place to play with authorities.I am in agreement with you with a little tweak- 300 win mag to 375 h&h. And as I said before, 338 is probably the sweet spot.

416 Rigby with bearclaws or aframes....sorted....you will be surprised how big a male lion actually is.....especially when fully upright not lazing around
You are right, a big male is bigger than you think. I was once in a Hilux with the top cut off and 3 big males were fighting within 5 -30 m of me. Loud, huge and damn fast.

What would you thoughts be on 338 mag ?

You are right, a big male is bigger than you think. I was once in a Hilux with the top cut off and 3 big males were fighting within 5 -30 m of me. Loud, huge and damn fast.

What would you thoughts be on 338 mag ?

Never used one but should imagine be good....lion can be killed easily with even 275 in right place....know someone using his rigby 275 got 2 with one shot....had eaten one of his staff and were perfectly lined up behind each other...he never intended to shoot both, but just happened the bullet penetrated think skull of first one and broke neck of other one ....but the rigby 416 gives bit better comfort feeling....shot one with 300 win mag...ran short distance and dropped mid stride....but plenty of videos and happenings where bigger calibres haven't stopped them...so as usual nothing is guaranteed in hunting....

Never used one but should imagine be good....lion can be killed easily with even 275 in right place....know someone using his rigby 275 got 2 with one shot....had eaten one of his staff and were perfectly lined up behind each other...he never intended to shoot both, but just happened the bullet penetrated think skull of first one and broke neck of other one ....but the rigby 416 gives bit better comfort feeling....shot one with 300 win mag...ran short distance and dropped mid stride....but plenty of videos and happenings where bigger calibres haven't stopped them...so as usual nothing is guaranteed in hunting....
Most PHs seem to agree faster bullets are better on the cats. As you say, a bullet in the right place is all that counts.

A PH friend of mine told me about his teams experience 2 or 3 days after it happened. He had a lion come to bait right at dusk. He said to the client can you see it, if you can, take the shot. So she fired and hit it to far back. Turns out she couldn't see it well enough to see the front leg or place the shot. They tracked it for 3 days. Eventually another hunter saw it and radioed so they rushed there with dogs. They then were running after the dogs and it jumped up at a distance of a couple of metres. The dog owner, another PH was mauled, broken arm, and the lion got away before everyone arrived and while they were attending to the injury. More tracking and they eventually caught up and dispatched the lion with a 375 at a couple of hundred metres. Don't know what calibre for the first shot but I don't suppose it matters much.

I am in the planning phase for a return to Africa.

On my first trip, I used a 416 Remington for Buffalo, zebra and kudu as well a a 308 for smaller plains game.

The two animals that I especially want to hunt in the future are eland and Lion.

I have a Steyr SM12 in 9.3x62 that I have with loads featuring a 250 grain Barnes TSX that chronograph 2700 fps.

I feel like this should be about perfect, I have a friend who has killed 17 cape buffalo with his 9.3 guns. 14 of them with the 250 grain tsx.

What do people here with experience on eland and lion consider ideal in terms of cartridge and bullets.

I have a Model 70 Alaskan in 375 H&H as well as a Merkel double in 470 along with my 416 and 9.3 x62.

But the questions are:

What cartridge and bullet is ideal for lion?

What cartridge and bullet is ideal for eland?

Is anything perfect for both?
9.3 x 62 would be a great cartridge, but I think .375 H&H would be better. The .375 H&H is the most versatile cartridge in the world, but it is not ideal for much, with the exception of Lion/Eland/Large Bear, and maybe moose. I used a 260 grain Nosler accubond - Lion dropped like a pill of bricks - got my eland with an 8x68S believe I was using woodleigh's at the time

This is what the inside of my lioness looked like after being shot with a 375 H&H, 300 grs TSX Vortex factory ammo. My PH gave me the green light when I asked about this ammo, and it worked fine for me.

Lioness.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
There's a whopping ~100 ft lbs of difference between a 250 gr at 2700 fps and 300 gr at 2500 fps (both are over 4k ft-lbs/5400 J). The only thing you're giving up on with a 250 gr is SD, and I don't imagine that's much of a deal at all for a lion.

I think every kid in Africa raised in a hunting family shot Lion, elephant and buffalo with a 30-06, ask about any PH...I would not hesitate if it were necessary...the 9,3x62 properly loaded at 2600 fps with a 286 gr premium bullet kills buff and Lion as well as a 375 and Ive seen it used on elephant..Either is a good choice...

9.3x74R(where legal) double or 375 H&H Flanged Magnum......preferably in O/U configuration.....

New calibers....500/416 NE or 416 Rigby Nr. 2

Its been said, to suggest a 9.3x62 or even a 30-06 with proper bullets is not Lion and eland capable reflexes on ones shooting capability. I have to agree with that..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JereBrass

Latest profile posts

HerbJohnson wrote on Triathlete3's profile.
If you have an email, I would love to be able to chat with you about J.P.H. Prohunt. My email address is [redacted]. Thanks.
Another Wildebees cull shot this morning!
We are doing a cull hunt this week!

Hyde Hunter wrote on Ontario Hunter's profile.
which East Cape Taxidermist are you referring to? I had Lauriston do my work not real happy with them. oh thanks for the advise on the mount hangers a few months ago. Jim
jimbo1972 wrote on Bwaybuilder's profile.
Great to do business with