Perfect Rifle for Eland and Lion

Here is a pic of my eland with the 9.3 double. 300gr Aframe.

Will let you know about 9.3 double vs lion in October.

double9.3.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Your 9.3X62 is perfect, but I think you could choose a better bullet for both lion and eland.

What bullet do you suggest for Lion and Eland in the 9.3x62?

I would like to find a supply of 250 grain Accbonds but have been unable to do so.

If I go heavier than 250 grain, velocity falls off decreasing shock on the lion and trajectory on the eland.

If I go lighter, sectional density suffers which could affect penetration adversely.

So what works better that is available than a 250 grain Barnes TSX at 2700 fps?

My friend has killed more than a dozen cape buffalo with this load with perfect results so it has been proven in my circle of friends

I would like to find a supply of 250 grain Accbonds but have been unable to do so.

If I go heavier than 250 grain, velocity falls off decreasing shock on the lion and trajectory on the eland.

If I go lighter, sectional density suffers which could affect penetration adversely.

My friend has killed more than a dozen cape buffalo with this load with perfect results so it has been proven in my circle of friends
The ideal bullet for Buffalo is not the ideal bullet for lion and Eland. I would be more inclined to use a simple cup and core 286 bullet readily available from.several companies, over the TSX... particularly on the lion, but also the Eland. On both of those a Partition is probably the best all around choice... quicker expansion with more immediate shock and more than sufficient penetration. I believe it will kill faster than the TSX on an equal shot on both species.

The cup and core bullets that I found in stock and for sale are in 9.3 are:

286 grain hornady
285 grain privi
270 grain speer hot core

There are reports online of all three of them failing to exit on whitetail deer.

No thanks.

I pretty much lost faith in most cup and core bullets when I discovered premium control expansion bullets.

Your mileage may vary.

That TSX load will work fine.

A big eland can often weigh more than a buffalo. What works for one will do a number on the other. TSX, TBBC, Accubond, A-Frame, type bullets are all excellent choices.

The lion is much thinner skinned and doesn’t have the same thick bone mass. Therefore is doesn’t require as good a bullet. Now cost wise, they’re more so I’m still inclined to use a premium projectile. Not saying you can’t use one, but a cup and core design like a Corelokt would be adequate in most situations. Lions are bigger than Leopards but on my Leopard hunt the PH I hunted with suggested CoreLokts or Partitions over something like an A-Frame.

Hendershots shows 250 gr Accubonds available in 9.3x62. $100/box.

I have yet to take anything with my 9.3x62. However, I did do some bullet testing with the 286gr Swift, 270gr Speer and 250gr TTSX. The 250gr TTSX penetrated the most.
IMG_0953.jpeg

The Speer looks pretty beat up.Not surprised the 250 grain Barnes penetrated the deepest with the highest retaining weight percentage.

9.3 x 62 will work splendidly for eland and lion. I took my lion and 5 eland with my .375H&H, but that is only because that's the gun I have, again, 9.3x62 is plenty of gun for what you are wanting to hunt.

I was thinking of using the 270gr Speer on deer. I think that and practice are all they’re good for. Definitely not a lion or eland.

The only 286 gr hornady that I’ve ever recovered from a bison I shot in the back of the head. Never recovered any from any whitetail, sheep, axis deer, fallow, bison chest shots, wild boar. They whistle through, don’t tear up a lot of meat and leave an impressive exit wound. I think I’d still opt for Swift A frames on Lion. Just my .02 cents.

I have yet to take anything with my 9.3x62. However, I did do some bullet testing with the 286gr Swift, 270gr Speer and 250gr TTSX. The 250gr TTSX penetrated the most.
View attachment 618511
Really goes to show importance of bonded bullets for reliable performance. Heavy for caliber and moderate velocity doesn’t mean a bullet will hold up on heavy bone. Glad that Speer wasn’t used on a buffalo.

The Speer looks pretty beat up.Not surprised the 250 grain Barnes penetrated the deepest with the highest retaining weight percentage.
People get so hung up on penetration as the most effective metric... it is not. You need "sufficient" penetration, after that you want rapid expansion and tissue damage. If these were animals for your freezer, where saving edible meat is a priority, my opinion would be different. As for 9.3 C&C bullets not peneteating whitetail deer, I call BS, except in very unusual circumstances, such as very reduced loads or shooing front to back... but even there I have seen them penetrate the full length of large whitetail bucks, and zip through large bull moose. I have been using them for close to half a century in .35, 9.3 and .375.. Your high weight retention TSX bullet is the wrong design for lion and Eland if you desire to be "most" effective. I am sure they will work, but not as effectively or as "immediately" as softer choices. The Partition is a happy medium between the C&C and mono/bonded groupings... it is likely your best bet for lion and eland.
The talk around these parts regarding DG bullets has inserted a definite "skew" regarding bullet design and effectiveness.

I was thinking of using the 270gr Speer on deer. I think that and practice are all they’re good for. Definitely not a lion or eland.
I can't tell you how many big bears and moose I have seen cleanly and impressively taken with the Speer 9.3mm 270 HC and .375 235 HC bullets. On eland and lion I would choose the Partition over them, for the extra insurance built into the design, but I have no doubt that the Speer would work out, and in the case of lion, I would choose the Hot-Cor over the TSX every time, if those were the only options.

Really goes to show importance of bonded bullets for reliable performance. Heavy for caliber and moderate velocity doesn’t mean a bullet will hold up on heavy bone. Glad that Speer wasn’t used on a buffalo.
Nobody is talking about using the Speer on buffalo... that would be foolish. But the Speer would work just fine on cats and PG.

I personally know people who have had the Speer bullet fail to exit on deer and hogs.

Speaking of hogs, I have a Boarbuster trap. In it, I have trapped and killed more than 350 hogs in the last 4 years.

This has given me the opportunity to test a lot of bullets on real critters.

Have not shot one with my 9.3 yet but will get to it.

But I have shot them with my 375 H&H.

I have used a bunch of different bullets, Woodleigh Hydros, Bear Claws and Barnes TSX to name a few of the premiums.

I have used 235 grain TSX bullets at 2700 fps as well as 300 grain TSX bullets at 2500.

The TSX bullets at this velocity kill like a lightening strike. They just do.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JanieE2464

Latest profile posts

Longfeather1 wrote on Cmwkwarrwn's profile.
Hello Clark
Thanks for the interest in my rifle. If you want to discuss it further you can email me direct at [redacted] or call my cell number [redacted].
Look forward to talking with you.
Regards,
Jack Kramer
quacker attacker wrote on JMV375's profile.
Hello, My wife and I hunted with Marius 2 years ago. He fit us into his schedule after a different outfitter "bailed" on us. He was always very good with communications and although we didn't end up meeting him personally, he called us multiple times during our hunt to make sure things were going well. We were very happy with him.
TERMINATOR wrote on Cuthberto's profile.
Reach out to the guys at Epic Outdoors.

They will steer you right for landowner tags and outfitters that have them.

I have held a membership with them for years and they are an invaluable resource.

Way better that asking random people on the internet...WAY better

Raskolnikov743 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
Skydiver386,

Did you ever find your 30-06 CZ550? I own a fairly solid conditioned one, if you wanted to talk.

[redacted]