Perfect Rifle for Eland and Lion

I am in the planning phase for a return to Africa.

On my first trip, I used a 416 Remington for Buffalo, zebra and kudu as well a a 308 for smaller plains game.

The two animals that I especially want to hunt in the future are eland and Lion.

I have a Steyr SM12 in 9.3x62 that I have with loads featuring a 250 grain Barnes TSX that chronograph 2700 fps.

I feel like this should be about perfect, I have a friend who has killed 17 cape buffalo with his 9.3 guns. 14 of them with the 250 grain tsx.

What do people here with experience on eland and lion consider ideal in terms of cartridge and bullets.

I have a Model 70 Alaskan in 375 H&H as well as a Merkel double in 470 along with my 416 and 9.3 x62.

But the questions are:

What cartridge and bullet is ideal for lion?

What cartridge and bullet is ideal for eland?

Is anything perfect for both?
I took my lion with my 470 DR and my Eland with my 404 Jeffery. 375-416 seems perfect. To me it is really more about the bullet. I used Barnes TSX on both

There is no more “ideal” cartridge for both lion & eland than a .375 H&H. That said, your 9.3 is about as close to ideal as you get without being a .375. No animal shot with either cartridge will know the difference.

A 300 grain Bearclaw is about as close to a perfect bullet for both as you can shoot, followed closely by a Partition or A Frame. Of course, there are so many good cartridge and bullet combinations that it’s hard to go really wrong between .338-.416.

For my money, a .375 H&H pushing a 300 grain Bearclaw is the most ‘perfect’ option of all.

My friend @JHT, used a 375 with 300 grain Bear Claws for his big bodied leopard recently.

He said he will use a softer bullet on cats going forward. He did have excellent results on two Buffalo bulls on the same hunt with 400 grain bear claws in 416.

My friend @JHT, used a 375 with 300 grain Bear Claws for his big bodied leopard recently.

He said he will use a softer bullet on cats going forward. He did have excellent results on two Buffalo bulls on the same hunt with 400 grain bear claws in 416.
A Bearclaw is softer than an A Frame up-front, but probably a bit tougher than a Partition. I shot a lion with a 400 grain Bearclaw from my .416 and had perfect performance, big hole and the lion died within 20 yards. Shot 2 leopards with 225 grain Bearclaws from my .338 and both died very quickly with large holes. I’ve only shot those 3 cats with Bearclaws, but can’t think of any bullet I’d rather have for either lion or leopard. And they’re also great for eland and buffalo based on my personal experience with them. I’ve shot 4 buffalo with 400 grain Bearclaws and each died quickly; and just used the 300 grain .375 Bearclaws on Lord Derby Eland and Roan and they performed splendidly on those large antelope.

Remember, a big lion is three times the size of a leopard. I wouldn’t go too soft. I used 300 grain A-Frame in my 375 H&H on lion and PG without an issue. I wouldn’t hesitate to use a 270 grain bullet either.

Anything 300WM and up for both. What gun is more sentimental to you?

Cats are very thin skinned. Is your lion over bait, or a tracking hunt in RSA? If it’s a tracking hunt I’d suggest the 9.3 or 375 in case you get a charge. If it’s a bait hunt (wild lion) then the 375 since you’ll likely be in a blind and have a rest.

Eland is more about quality bullet selection and shot placement. I personally lean more 9.3 or 375 here compared to the Lion. There’s a chance you’ll need to penetrate a lot further and there’s more mass.

I would go .375 H&H for both.

Lion 1.jpeg
Lion 2.jpeg
Lion 3.jpeg
I highly recommend a .375 Holland & Holland Magnum, loaded with 300Gr lead cored soft points (which must expand fast but still be capable of holding together until they have penetrated through the tyre-rubber like hardened chest muscles of an adrenaline fueled lion).

Based upon what's available on the current market, my favorite lion bullets would have to be:
-Wim Degol TM Round Lion
- Hornady Dangerous Game eXpanding Bonded
- Northfork Percussion Point

These bullets will be perfectly suited for both lion AND eland.

Calibers below .375 bore are not permitted for lion hunting in many African countries. So far as my knowledge goes:
Zimbabwe permits use of the 9.3mm calibers
Cameroon permits use of the 3.54 calibers
Zambia permits use of the .300 calibers (for lion & leopard but the other dangerous game mandate a minimum bore size of .375

I'm taking my 458Lott, I'll let you know how it goes.

Guess I should add, using NF 450 softs at 2350fps.
Sounds like enough gun to me! I briefly considered taking my Lott this fall for the same but will probably take a R8 with 416 barrel and another smaller barrel...300 win mag probably. I'm tired of dragging my full size Tuff Pak all over creation.

As noted, shot placement is the critical parameter. I took my Eland with a 300 Win Mag 200gr Trophy Bonded Bear Claw. Slight quartering away shot. Bullet went in just behind the shoulder blade and was recovered under the skin at the point of the shoulder on the opposite side. The Eland took a few steps and expired. I did not feel the need for anything more powerful.

That being said, I scheduled a combination Leopard/Crocodile hunt with the same PH. I asked if I should bring my 416 Rigby for the Crocodile and he said the 300 Win would be fine for both but suggested Nosler partitions for the Leopard and Barns TSX for the Crocodile. It turned out the TSX broke the spine of the Crocodile for an instant kill.

All of the above being said, I would think 9.3 would be quite adequate for Eland. As for Lion, I defer to those who have hunted Lion.

Sounds like enough gun to me! I briefly considered taking my Lott this fall for the same but will probably take a R8 with 416 barrel and another smaller barrel...300 win mag probably. I'm tired of dragging my full size Tuff Pak all over creation.
Mine is a R8 also, like you want to pack as light as possible.

I did mine with a Parker &Hale 9.3x62 shooting off the shelf 286gr softs. Killed them both and gemsbok, zebra, wildebeest…..…375 HH works just as well.

I also have a Brno ZKK 602 in 458 Lott but have more confidence in my shooting ability with smaller rifles. The Lott is a handful.

I do shoot well with my 470 double, it weighs 11 pounds and has a recoil reducing weight in the stock.

It has a 1 moa Trijicon TMR but prefer a scoped bolt action for lion. Have other plans for the double later.

My friend tells me to just take my 416. I shoot it well and have three one shot kills with the rifle.

Including a 160 yard shot at a kudu. I already have a supply of 400 grain partitions for the 416.

But the 416 is not ideal if I get a long shot at eland so it would be just used for lion and a second rifle for plains game including eland.

I also have a Brno ZKK 602 in 458 Lott but have more confidence in my shooting ability with smaller rifles. The Lott is a handful.

I do shoot well with my 470 double, it weighs 11 pounds and has a recoil reducing weight in the stock.

It has a 1 moa Trijicon TMR but prefer a scoped bolt action for lion. Have other plans for the double later.

My friend tells me to just take my 416. I shoot it well and have three one shot kills with the rifle.

Including a 160 yard shot at a kudu. I already have a supply of 400 grain partitions for the 416.

But the 416 is not ideal if I get a long shot at eland so it would be just used for lion and a second rifle for plains game including eland.
I’m guessing your lion is on the Kalahari so you’ll likely have the opportunity to track your eland. With that said, it’s not super thick so your 416 should be fine distance wise. Even if you have to push it to 200yds it’s a significantly bigger target than your kudu with a significantly larger vital area.

Might be fun and meaningful to kill your entire Big 5 with a single rifle.

Why not stick with what recipe you have the 416 Rem if you are confident and shooting it well don't change anything.

If you really want another reason to buy another rifle I would opt for the 375 H&H just to make it legal everywhere.

The 9.3 will work but might be an issue on legal minimums on lion.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CorineWhit

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

expoB wrote on Ontario Hunter's profile.
Total con artist! Bradley Joseph Clemens!
expoB wrote on Ontario Hunter's profile.
Regarding Senga Senga. Brad Clemens. Do your research with him. He owes people money…took deposits, no hunt! Two words, for anyone who wants to hire him…..background check. His character shows and this character follows every aspect of his life. Not to be trusted at all!
Grandpa Moose wrote on Ontario Hunter's profile.
Thanks for the advice/help. Hope the kids get a good plug from my mis post. Rain like crazy here
swag05 wrote on Inline6's profile.
Is the Americas still available? Does it have wheels? I am interested
matt2H wrote on matt vejar's profile.
Hey there Matt - i would love to understand some more about your bringing trophies home from South Africa in your checked luggage. My PH is holding onto a bushbuck euro and flatskin for me - and i am due back in South Africa in just over a week. He does have the export permit provided by the taxidermist for me. When you have a moment - could we go through the EDC Form and App? Looking forward to hearing from you.