Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
nra
Hunted
USA,Canada,RSA
I am in the planning phase for a return to Africa.

On my first trip, I used a 416 Remington for Buffalo, zebra and kudu as well a a 308 for smaller plains game.

The two animals that I especially want to hunt in the future are eland and Lion.

I have a Steyr SM12 in 9.3x62 that I have with loads featuring a 250 grain Barnes TSX that chronograph 2700 fps.

I feel like this should be about perfect, I have a friend who has killed 17 cape buffalo with his 9.3 guns. 14 of them with the 250 grain tsx.

What do people here with experience on eland and lion consider ideal in terms of cartridge and bullets.

I have a Model 70 Alaskan in 375 H&H as well as a Merkel double in 470 along with my 416 and 9.3 x62.

But the questions are:

What cartridge and bullet is ideal for lion?

What cartridge and bullet is ideal for eland?

Is anything perfect for both?

I’d take the 375 H&H. I shot a Cape Cow Buffalo and a Lioness with a 375 H&H and Barnes Vortex 300 grs TSX factory ammo. No problem at all with either critter.

They are all great calibers. Would agree with the above. The 375HH would be the best balance and choice for both of the species you seek. The 470 would put a big dent on either of those but definitely not required.

As always your comfort shooting these calibers and shot placement will matter the most. I've seen instances where some have big bore doubles but couldn't shoot them (accurately)!

A 375H&H scoped bolt action. The 9.3 would work just as well, but with the 375H&H you are 100% sure to clear all legal minimums in existence for the hunting of dangerous game.

I shot my eland with a .300 Wby and have seen many hunted perfectly well with a .308. That said, the ideal in my mind would be in the .338 or .375 class. They’re big, tough critters, but like everything else they die if you hit them in the vitals. A good bullet that will go through the shoulder without blowing up is more important than the caliber.

For lion, .300 to .338 can do the job, and there’s something to be said about high velocity and its effect on the nervous system, but overall I think .375 is better. There’s more leeway if everything doesn’t go perfectly. When you’re on the ground with them, even towed artillery might seem too small.

So, for the two, it’s about impossible to top the .375. I’d favor a TSX or other monolithic for the eland, and something like the A-frame for the cat, but either type of bullet would work for both. I’d go with whatever your gun shoots best.

I have no experience with lion but have shot quite a few Eland, and all I can say is Eland are very large tough animals. I put a 350gr barnes solid into one last year from a 416 Rigby through ribs and into offside should bones, bullet didn't exit, it was 125 yard shot. I had solids in my gun only because I was stalking a grysbok but came upon an eland herd. That give you some idea of bone density, and overall mass of the chest cavity. I am in agreement with most on here, 375 is minimum for dangerous game, my logic tells me to carry a 375, 416, 0r 404 all the time, period, especially if any of the big nasty's are on the menu. I only like to travel with one rifle as well.

All that being said, a 9.3 is a great caliber and I'm sure would work, but this is a debate we have on here all the time. I personally prefer to carry a larger rifle than probably needed as I just feel that a larger hole is better LOL. I've never been attracted to trying to kill big stuff with as small a caliber as possible.

The thing is, my loads in my 9.3 are pretty much identical to the 375 H&H.

I get 2700 fps with a 250 grain tsx.

And the 9.3 is lighter to carry and holds 4 in the magazine. So the rifle is quicker handling and goes bang 5 times if things go badly.

So I feel it is perfect for eland. The question really is about lion.

If I’m going to take two rifles, I’ll probably take my 416 since the 9.3 and 375 are so close together.

I could take my 375 and a 300 magnum for gemsbuck and bushbuck that I hope to take on the same trip.

So which rifle for lion/eland and which for other plains game is really what I’m pondering.

I’m partial to the 9,3, plenty of thump, a lot of great bullets, and the extra rounds in the mag is a plus.

One PH told me he liked clients to use a 30/06 with good bullets because people are more likely to place their shots well with them.

So lots of different opinions from three different PHs that I know.

At the end of the day, I’ll most likely pick the 9.3 or 375.

Probably should take the one that I shoot best with off shooting sticks. Since a well placed first shot is nearly everything.

Not knowing any more details about your hunt I'm going to concur with most everyone else, the 375 H&H.

Going to see if I can find some 375 ammo with 300 grain Nosler Partitions. I have 300 grain TSX and have killed enough hogs with them to be very confident in their ability to immobilize quickly.

But a Partition is supposed to be the gold standard on big cats.

I am in the planning phase for a return to Africa.

On my first trip, I used a 416 Remington for Buffalo, zebra and kudu as well a a 308 for smaller plains game.

The two animals that I especially want to hunt in the future are eland and Lion.

I have a Steyr SM12 in 9.3x62 that I have with loads featuring a 250 grain Barnes TSX that chronograph 2700 fps.

I feel like this should be about perfect, I have a friend who has killed 17 cape buffalo with his 9.3 guns. 14 of them with the 250 grain tsx.

What do people here with experience on eland and lion consider ideal in terms of cartridge and bullets.

I have a Model 70 Alaskan in 375 H&H as well as a Merkel double in 470 along with my 416 and 9.3 x62.

But the questions are:

What cartridge and bullet is ideal for lion?

What cartridge and bullet is ideal for eland?

Is anything perfect for both?

Your 9.3 is ideal

I think the question is more about bullet than it is about caliber. I would use a very good soft (not mono metal) and use your favorite caliber that is legal. For me that would be the 375 or 416. I will be doing the same this fall on lion.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GuillermoC

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

expoB wrote on Ontario Hunter's profile.
Total con artist! Bradley Joseph Clemens!
expoB wrote on Ontario Hunter's profile.
Regarding Senga Senga. Brad Clemens. Do your research with him. He owes people money…took deposits, no hunt! Two words, for anyone who wants to hire him…..background check. His character shows and this character follows every aspect of his life. Not to be trusted at all!
Grandpa Moose wrote on Ontario Hunter's profile.
Thanks for the advice/help. Hope the kids get a good plug from my mis post. Rain like crazy here
swag05 wrote on Inline6's profile.
Is the Americas still available? Does it have wheels? I am interested
matt2H wrote on matt vejar's profile.
Hey there Matt - i would love to understand some more about your bringing trophies home from South Africa in your checked luggage. My PH is holding onto a bushbuck euro and flatskin for me - and i am due back in South Africa in just over a week. He does have the export permit provided by the taxidermist for me. When you have a moment - could we go through the EDC Form and App? Looking forward to hearing from you.