Pelican replacement foam

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-03-26 at 8.05.25 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-03-26 at 8.05.25 AM.png
    957.6 KB · Views: 57
Wow thanks for all the responses!! I appreciate it!! I'll definitely be looking into cobra and the place in Carolina. Thanks guys!!

In general there are 3 types of foam used for this.

1. PE Foam (Polyethylene Foam) - IMO the best and most durable foam for holding firearms. It's of a closed cell design and highly resistant to chemicals and moisture. Most companies who do custom foam cases use this type for these reasons.

2. Ester-Foam (Polyurethane Foam) - This is what normally comes in a Pelican case, same as their "pluck-n-pull" foam. It has smaller cells than the the PE Foam and is of an open cell design. I find this important in the event you will be in a wet environment, it will hold moisture. Moisture and firearms are not a good combination when there are better options available.

3. EVA foam (Ethylene-Vinyl Acetate Copolymer Foam) - This is more of a padding, not normally used for firearms. Typically it's what is used for floor mats in a gym or making padding for a bicycle seat. It is a closed cell design, so it will resist water absorption.

I would highly recommend using PE Foam and it can be found on Amazon. I found this in about 10 seconds of searching for only $65. It can be cut down to your specifications easily. YouTube videos abound on how to do this.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B015JRXH1...Ae4a&ref_=sbx_be_s_sparkle_td_asin_0_img&th=1

There are also custom foam builders out there like My Case Builder and GunFoam.com for a real professional look and color options as well.
Thank you!!

I also replaced the bottom foam with 3 thinner layers and it enabled me to cut the middle layer of that and put my taken apart shooting sticks, 2 slings, and a set of tall bipods. I will take some pictures tomorrow, but currently that case is packed up for a trip to the shooting range with my nephew tomorrow
That's a cool idea, I was kinda thinking the same thing because I keep finding 2" foam and not a lot of 1.75" . A little rearranging of the layers and I should be good. Thank you!

I also replaced the bottom foam with 3 thinner layers and it enabled me to cut the middle layer of that and put my taken apart shooting sticks, 2 slings, and a set of tall bipods. I will take some pictures tomorrow,
Here are some pictures of what I done. I replaced the bottom piece of foam with three 1/2" pieces. One uncut piece on the bottom, then the middle piece I cut out for my shooting sticks, a bipod and a sling. Then another piece on top of that to cover it all and protect the guns that are cut into what was the bottom piece of foam.
gun case 3.jpg
gun case 2.jpg
gun case 1.jpg

While it was not with these rifles this worked on a trip to Africa as well, just replaced the bipod with another sling and used the original center piece of foam for the other two rifles. You could do the same thing with the top piece if you wanted, but for air travel with two rifles you start pushing weight limits with much more than this.

Here are some pictures of what I done. I replaced the bottom piece of foam with three 1/2" pieces. One uncut piece on the bottom, then the middle piece I cut out for my shooting sticks, a bipod and a sling. Then another piece on top of that to cover it all and protect the guns that are cut into what was the bottom piece of foam.View attachment 459195View attachment 459196View attachment 459197
While it was not with these rifles this worked on a trip to Africa as well, just replaced the bipod with another sling and used the original center piece of foam for the other two rifles. You could do the same thing with the top piece if you wanted, but for air travel with two rifles you start pushing weight limits with much more than this.
Very nice!

I have purchased from Cobra foam a couple of times and have found they have the best prices and good customer service

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MichaelBen

Latest profile posts

jimbo1972 wrote on Bwaybuilder's profile.
Great to do business with
Grz63 wrote on Cecil Hammonds's profile.
Greetings from Clermont -ferrand !!
We 'll visit Livingstone / Vic Falls for 3 days and 2 nights. Back to Mapcha by car, back to WDH with Airlink (grab my rifles and belongings) and the same day back to Frankfurt.
What do you mind from your own experience ? and your wife .? Did she appreciate ?
We already hunted Namibia in 2022, May for PG near Outjo for 8 days. Great country.
Thank you for your advises.
Philippe
Hello Cecil
I am Philippe from Center of France. I plan to hunt Zambezi with Zana Botes in 2026, Oct after a couple of days for PG in Namibia in his lodge. I will be with my wife. She is not really a huntress and we promised to go visit Vic Falls. I imagine to go to Caprivi by car , hunt there 7 days (for buff) and go by car to Vic falls (PH will bring back my rifle) . sorry I am required to write 2 messages
buckstix wrote on magnum308's profile.
yes ..please send me a copy ... buckstix@aol.com