partitions for dangerous game

Ryan suggested that we do our own testing to determine which bullet to use for certain game..

I was on a bullet testing team 10 years ago that did just that to pick from a dozen or so .458 bullets which ones we would use on frontal brain shots on elephant. Test was a 50 yard shot at a suspended 5/8 inch thick steel plate. Only two bullets shot through the plate.
The actual shooting in Africa proved the test worked- the North Fork 450 grain FPS and the Punch brass bullet at 2150 fps shot through the brain, head and into the body and had to be cut out.
The Kodiak 450 grain bullet at 2150 fps stunned a bull, but did not penetrate the brain. The Kodiak proved very effective on Cape buff , shooting through on all but the full length body shots.
I'm assuming w/ that V you're talking 458 Win Mag. It's also not recommended by most for DG. I had one. Traded up to .416 (2,450 fps). Did you repeat that testing with a 458 Lott (2,350 fps w/ a 500 gr, likely 2450 w/ a 450-Big Difference!)?

I'm a fan of partitions for most game, but this 375 gave us major concern. If it would have been a buff instead of a Blue Wildebeest, we would have likely been out $8k. First shot mad an odd sound at impact, distinct but different thud. Figured out why after sending another to put the animal down. No obstruction between us and the animal. Lead residue was found in the bottom cavity.

Bullet was recovered key holed on the exterior of the hide with 3m-4mm partial penetration. That said, many animals have dropped to 1 shot for us with partitions...but I am using something else this June for my buff.

1644253110404.png

1644253122802.png

1644253147402.png

that seems more like a bullet stability issue than necessarily a bullet failure
Possible. Was factory loaded Federal. Another 160+ cartridges from that same lot had no other witnessed failures, mostly paper/steel. That said, a bullet missing its bottom core and keyholed on an animal is a bad situation. Just one example of a failure, but I have dozens of examples of successes from the NP.

CW,
I agree with your bullet weight premise and took my .338 Win Mag to Africa using Winchester Fail Safe 230 grain bullets. All one shot kills, even on a BIG Eland Bull- he just stood and expired where was shot. It took 12 men to load he dead carcass into the bed of a pickup.

BUT, fast forward to a SE Colorado elk hunt and a 6X6 bull my guide called in to about 110 yards. My .338 was loaded with Winchester 210 Noslers when the elk saw me and made a run for it. The scope showed only a Texas heart shot so I went for it and connected with the left ham. My guide asked If I hit the bull and I said yes, but it will take a few minutes for him to die.

We slowly walked/stalked out across 100 yards of open ground and into a thin stand of trees where we found the bull breathing his last. Another shot put an end to him.
52050_600x400.jpg

Though we never found the bullet, it had passed through the ham, guts and made a mess of the lungs.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have shot a number of bull elk with 7mm 160 gr. Nosler Partitions. Mostly side-on shots through the chest. They did open rapidly, but kept their cores, and were usually found under the hide on the opposite side. None of these elk ran more than about 50 - 75 yards, most going down much sooner.

I would NOT use them on thick-skinned game, but would use them for PG... possible exception of eland or zebra.

If I recall the story correctly John Nosler designed the bullet around a 300 H&H after a different bullet failed on a moose hunt. 180 or 200, I don’t remember. Moose aren’t particularly dangerous…except for the cow with a calf while walking your dog.

They do lose a lot of the front.

Exactly!
I shot a large black bear a few years ago with a 180gr Nosler partition out of an '06. Close shot, broadside and the bullet broke both shoulders, complete penetration. The bear was a spring bear that weighed just under 500 pounds. While perhaps marginal for the thick skinned DG its certainly tough enough for any thin skinned game.

They do lose a lot of the front.

This was recovered in a black bear
View attachment 451387

I would argue that bullet performed EXACTLY as intended and designed. Mr. Nosler wanted a bullet that didn't just blow up into a bunch of smaller pieces. He wanted the rear partition to hold together and continue plowing on thru the animal.

From my experiences, the few NPs I've actually recovered performed exactly the same. And they were recovered under the skin on the off side.

But for DG, there are indeed better choices in my opinion. Having said that, the A-Frame is essentially a bonded NP.

I would argue that bullet performed EXACTLY as intended and designed. Mr. Nosler wanted a bullet that didn't just blow up into a bunch of smaller pieces. He wanted the rear partition to hold together and continue plowing on thru the animal.

From my experiences, the few NPs I've actually recovered performed exactly the same. And they were recovered under the skin on the off side.

But for DG, there are indeed better choices in my opinion. Having said that, the A-Frame is essentially a bonded NP.
Yes you are correct, it was designed to stay together enough to get the penetration needed. And great technology for its time. Its still is in a sense due to cost. This one was recovered against the skin on the opposite side of the shot. But like you and others have mentioned, there are better choices. I would not want any of the bullet to fragment at all on an animal like buffalo.

Since it was brought in this thread, two types of bullet ability to consider- 1) flying though air 2) flying through various types of tissue like thick hide, bone, low density lung, high density muscle, high density wet fodder, etc.

@TTundra, thanks for posting! Bullet hitting side ways? Hope that doesn't happen on a buff is right! That definitely is instability through the air before getting to the target. I see reasonable land marks on the bullet shank-- any chance it was a semi squib load or unintentionally low velocity? That needs sorting out!

Looks like the rear section popped out like a cork as the whole bullet shank was pressurized during deformation of impact. Wild things can also happen to bullets because of inertia- especially with a regular non bonded bullet jackets shucking the core during the path through the media. Many times if lead core bullets (especially non bonded ones) turn around during passage through a wet tough media, the jacket will be found shallower in the wound channel with the lead core or portions thereof found deeper.

Last edited:
I did shoot a buff many years ago with a 300 gr 375 H&H partition, about 60 yd shot as he crossed the only opening. He ran into Zims thick jesse, a follow up and a 300 gr solid ended him. Never found either bullet.

That was many years ago, today with the plethora of new designed and better weight retention bullets I would pic another choice. I do wish Nosler would design a newer partition bonded and with over 90% retention. I am a Nosler guy.

MB

well than how does a partition compare to say a woodleigh weldcore instead of trophy bonded bare claw or a-frame. all very proven bullets in their own right though.

Last edited:
@TTundra, Question- what cartridge, bullet weight, rifle, muzzle velocity and twist rate of the rifle used on that wildebeest? Still trying to wrap my brain around that instability. Was that a 375 Win big bore lever per chance?

@TTundra, Question- what cartridge, bullet weight, rifle, muzzle velocity and twist rate of the rifle used on that wildebeest? Still trying to wrap my brain around that instability. Was that a 375 Win big bore lever per chance?
never would have thought if it was a 375 Winchester.

CW, thanks for asking, but
No we were not shooting .458 win mag rifles for the bullet tests.

I mentioned only the bullet and velocity because where it came from matters not to the terminal ballistics. The target game cares not if it was shot with an old single shot from Sears or an English DR.

Also, the dead game cares not about the brand or velocity of the deadly bullet ---
Dead game = mission accomplished.

BTW, the ele was taken at 20 yards, the leopard at 20 yards, and the buff from 10 to 50 yards. Shooting was done by an experienced PH who had taken same type game before. His skill and experience added a lot to understanding the results.

375H&H 300 gr (factory Federal loaded). Never chrono'd it, but its 'advertised' at 2440 fps, so maybe 2375ish in reality. Barrel length is 24" (just shy I think). Not 100% on the twist rate, but I would bet 1-12, factory barrel.

We pondered it greatly that whole trip. Kept thinking it must of hit something, but open terrain without even a grass blade being tall enough to interfere. It did hit only 2" or so from POA as well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
88clbcare

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

HerbJohnson wrote on Triathlete3's profile.
If you have an email, I would love to be able to chat with you about J.P.H. Prohunt. My email address is [redacted]. Thanks.
Another Wildebees cull shot this morning!
We are doing a cull hunt this week!

Hyde Hunter wrote on Ontario Hunter's profile.
which East Cape Taxidermist are you referring to? I had Lauriston do my work not real happy with them. oh thanks for the advise on the mount hangers a few months ago. Jim
jimbo1972 wrote on Bwaybuilder's profile.
Great to do business with