Paperwork While traveling to SA

MarkinMI

Reaction score
Member of
NRA Life, MBGHA Life, TNWBH Life, many other organizations and sportsmman's clubs.
Hunted
USA (Michigan, Iowa, Texas, Alaska)
My son and I are headed to SA 18 August for our first safari, 10-day PG hunt w/Matwetwe Safaris. It's been a long time in the making, and I've learned a TON on this great forum, thanks to all who make it such a wealth of info!
Question: SAPS 5520 form, CBP 4457, invite letter...do all of these doc's stay on your person, or should any be packed w/the rifles in the locked gun case, locked ammo case...?
Appreciate any and all feedback.

Thanks,

Mark

The SAPS520 is your firearms license while in RSA. Keep a copy with your firearms. The likelihood of being asked for it is remote.
The other stuff I store in a safe place so they are not lost.

Contact one of the rifle permit companies in SA. The easiest is to do the pre-approval process. I got mine done in a week and that may still be possible. Check with Rifle Permits, Afton House, etc.

These services help shorten the wait time at SAPS office.

Are you having a service pre approve your SAP's 520 form? If not I highly suggest that you do, just to alleviate the headaches of it.

I never placed anything inside of my rifle case other than my rifle and a few odds and ends. My passport stays in my shirt pocket 24/7 until I reach the lodge. I keep notarized copies of it in a manila envelope in my carry on along with a copy of my SAP's 520 that hasn't been approved, also a copy on my letter of invite.

Once at the lodge my passport and other papers are locked in the provided safe and or my rifle case. You carry your approved SAP's 520 with your whenever you have your rifle with you. I also have one of the notarized copies of my passport with me.

Is your son under the age of 18? If so you will need a copy of his birth certificate and possible permission from the non traveling parent to enter South Africa.

HH

Is your son under the age of 18? If so you will need a copy of his birth certificate and possible permission from the non traveling parent to enter South Africa.

HH
I think that changed a few years ago.

1723141677262.png

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
APSMollie

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

1000009202.jpg
1000009102.jpg
1000008936.jpg
1000008850.jpg
1000008747.jpg
It's been a great Safari here in Zambia with Mbizi Safaris so far!! Heading out to the Kafue Flats tomorrow for Lechwe
3 Wake Ups and South Africa Bound!
SETH RINGER wrote on Altitude sickness's profile.
I'LL TAKE THE BOOKS IF THEY ARE NOT SOLD. NO ?? ASKED