Paperwork to Import Rifles into South Africa

I wouldn't do it that way. I get mine weeks or even several months before leaving. Just asking for trouble if they're too busy to help. Or the right person isn't there.
Bruce
I was told you “have” to get another one the day of departure, they are registering that they left the country on that day.

I was told you “have” to get another one the day of departure, they are registering that they left the country on that day.
@Rell, don't know what you heard or was told, but @gillettehunter is correct. You wait until your day of departure to try and have your 4457 issued, you for sure will miss your plane. You do this weeks or a month or so ahead.

What is the process to take your own rifles to Africa without a meet & greet or pre approved form SAPS form ?
The process can be this: Two $100 dollar bills. Do the pre-approved and save yourself those two C notes.

That's your 4457. Most customs offices seem to want to examine the rifle. In Wyoming we have exactly one customs office. He is a hunter and is fine if you email or fax him the make, model, caliber and serial number on your rifle. About a week later my 4457 shows up in the mailbox.
Bruce
You are EXTREMELY fortunate. He would be on my Christmas card list for sure. Of the ones I have to deal with one seems put out to breathe and probably anti-gun. It’s nearly a 2 hour drive for me to their office, a day off work to go and even if you call and say you’re coming a particular day and time to get your form signed and stamped, they’ll basically tell you “if we’re here”.

Reactions: CJW

You only need one 4457. It has to be signed and dated by customs in the year you are traveling. I did mine mid January for April trip.

@Rell Whoever you are getting your info from is no friend of yours. Everything you have posted as to what to do to carry a rifle to South Africa is wrong.

Within the past year is the worst I have ever heard. If it were the day of I wouldn't have been flying with firearms this past January since I started flying at 4 AM, arriving at the airport at 2AM. Anchorage Customs is closed at that time. I had mine done a month plus prior, so a different calendar year, with no issue when I went through Jo-burg. And yes, I used a service, in my case through Afton Safari Lodge. It was fast and painless both directions.

Not sure of your arrival date i.e. 10-1 in Africa seeing that your rifle is "coming" next week.

Just a side question;
using a 4457 to show the equipment is owned. What if a rifle was gifted to the PH and not brought back out after the hunt?

My meet and greet guy just shook his head last month as we were leaving the police station at JNB because an American hunter was voicing his anger at the police for taking their time with clearing his rifles. He whispered to me as we went out the door: "that guy will be lucky if he sees his guns while he is in Africa"

OK, looks like there is a need for understanding...

US Customs for 4457 - Certificate of Registration for Personal Effects Taken Abroad

From a US Customs perspective, as its name implies, US CBP Form 4457 has nothing to do with rifles, per se. It serves to document WHEN YOU RETURN TO THE US that your rifle(s) was/were not acquired abroad, and that you do not need to pay import tariff on it/them.

From an African police perspective, where licensing of individual firearms is required, most African police forces interpret the Form 4457 as a US permit / registration of your firearm(s). This is why one is needed to file for a temporary import permit such as SAPS 520 in South Africa or ZIMRA FR 20 in Zimbabwe.

Note that in the upper right corner of the 4457 there is an expiration date. South Africa Police Services (SAPS) require a "non-expired" 4457, which means that you essentially have to renew your 4457 every two years, even if you bring the same rifle(s) several years in a row.

1633730989088.png

By definition, a US CBP agent MUST verify the serial number of the rifle(s) listed.

SAPS 520 in South Africa or ZIMRA FR 20 in Zimbabwe, etc.

These are temporary import permit and rifle registrations that are only valid for the duration of the hunt. This is why to obtain them a letter of invitation by the outfitter is required, stating dates of arrival and departure.

YOU WILL NOT BE ALLOWED TO LEAVE THE COUNTRY if on departure you do not return the form AND you do not have possession of the rifle(s) listed. This is to prevent illegal importation of firearms that would become unregistered firearms, such as a client gifting a firearms to a PH.

It is possible to gift a firearms to a PH but the amount of paperwork required (import license, transfer permit, registration, etc.) is daunting to the point that it is all but practically impossible, especially in a matter of days at the end of a safari.

I hope this helps understanding what is what :)

As to process...

The $150 you will spend to get a SAPS 520 filed ahead of time and pre-approved, AND a VIP welcome at international arrivals where a local will handle everything for you, is indeed likely one of the best $150 you can spend on the entire safari. Folks at Rifle Permits (http://riflepermits.com/), Afton Safari Lodge (https://www.aftonsafarilodge.com/permits/) etc. will be happy to handle this for you. All you need to do is stand back and smile. Entering into a debate with SAPS at the airport is one of the best way I can imagine to transform an easy formality into a terminal stress test...

Because it is highly advisable to get a pre-approved SAPS 520, it follows that a form 4457 must be obtained prior to applying for the SAPS 520. As emphasized by other AM members, it is wise to get the 4457 and apply for the SAPS 520 at least several weeks, or preferable 2 months, in advance.

A complete file for a pre-approved SAPS 520 (South Africa) includes:
  1. Completed SAP 520 Form (signed in 2 places on page 6)
  2. Color copy of Passport pages 2 & 3
  3. Complete Flight Itinerary including return flights
  4. Non expired US Customs Form 4457 signed and stamped by a US CBP agent
  5. Invitation letter from your Outfitter, including arrival and departure dates.
It is a wise decision to carry with you two spare sets of all the above (one in your rifle case, in case it is inspected in your absence) and one in your luggage.

It is debatable whether notarizing of the copies of passport and 4457 is actually required, but it cannot hurt...

Last edited:
Just a side question;
using a 4457 to show the equipment is owned. What if a rifle was gifted to the PH and not brought back out after the hunt?
You would be getting into the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR). Google it then prepare for serious reading.

Thanks for the info. It is clear the good ole days are gone.
Reading old safari stories can lead one to think things are still that simple. From reading this thread it is clear one could cause much trouble from feeling kind hearted after a great hunt, assuming the PH or manager allowed a generosity they shouldn't.

Thanks for the info. It is clear the good ole days are gone.
Reading old safari stories can lead one to think things are still that simple. From reading this thread it is clear one could cause much trouble from feeling kind hearted after a great hunt, assuming the PH or manager allowed a generosity they shouldn't.
The good old days of the last few years are gone too. The only constant in Africa is change.

Reactions: CJW
If I don’t get my new rifle in time to get the pre approved SAPS it is my understanding that I can still use the service and do the permit when I arrive and they can assist .

You would need to talk to the folks at Rifle Permits on that question.

What I would do if I was you is to just use one of the outfitters rifles. Then you don't have to worry about having to sight in a new rifle, it sounds like you are trying to cut things a little bit too thin for a out of country hunt.

I know it’s cutting it close but I have a Heym Express in 416 Rigby on the way and I really want to use it. If it doesn’t work out the PH has a Heym 470 double I can use. I have a Cape buffalo hunt in July I can use the 416 on if I can’t get things worked out for this trip.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deo

Latest profile posts

gunslinger1971 wrote on Gray Fox's profile.
Do you still have the Browning 1895 and do you want to sell it? I'm might be interested. If so please let me know and do you have any pictures?

Steve in Missouri
[redacted]
Redfishga1 wrote on gearguywb's profile.
I would be interested in the ruger if the other guy is not.
Bartbux wrote on franzfmdavis's profile.
Btw…this was Kuche….had a great time.
Sorry to see your troubles on pricing.

Happy to call you and talk about experience…I’m also a Minnesota guy.