Overnight Harare

Flipper Dude

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hey fellas. I’ll be coming off a hunt in late September with D&Y @ Chewore S. Wife will accompany me. Thought we’d have a leisurely morning on drive out day before the 7 hour drive and then overnight in Harare before catching Airlink flight and beginning the long return trip home. Looking for someplace nice she can recoup at. Ideas?

Thanks

I stayed somewhere last year. I’ll try to come up with the name. It was ok. Nothing to write home about.

We kind of got dumped off there. I was a bit disappointed we couldn’t line up a fancy dinner and nicer place to stay. We ate at the hotel restaurant and it was very meh. Being in a new city and not being able to see much about it was frustrating.

Hopefully folks here have some solid suggestions for you.

I stayed at Amanzi lodge last time. I believe that’s where my outfitter made reservations for me again before and after hunt next month. It was very nice, but food was too fancy for me.

“It was very nice, but food was too fancy for me.”

She likes fancy. Thanks

Very nice. I had looked at that earlier, but good to hear real world feedback. Thanks guys

Looked it up. We stayed at Cresta Lodge. Like I said, it was fine, but wouldn’t be my first choice.

Hey fellas. I’ll be coming off a hunt in late September with D&Y @ Chewore S. Wife will accompany me. Thought we’d have a leisurely morning on drive out day before the 7 hour drive and then overnight in Harare before catching Airlink flight and beginning the long return trip home. Looking for someplace nice she can recoup at. Ideas?

Thanks

I’ve stayed at Amanzi half dozen times coming and going; including multiple days. Charlton McCallum use them for clients as they do a good job and are in proximity to their offices.

I like the restaurant as they can cater to special requests (I have some food allergies and never an issue).

Their rooms are “themed” to different countries. Try and book “Kenya” suite; its a chalet by itself and has some really cool decor.

“Egypt“ is by the enterance gate and across the tennis court from the main lodge/restaurant/bar/sitting areas; maybe my least favorite?

Zanzibar and Seychelles are more in the gardens and have nice outdoors areas.

I’ve stayed at Amanzi half dozen times coming and going; including multiple days. Charlton McCallum use them for clients as they do a good job and are in proximity to their offices.

I like the restaurant as they can cater to special requests (I have some food allergies and never an issue).

Their rooms are “themed” to different countries. Try and book “Kenya” suite; its a chalet by itself and has some really cool decor.

“Egypt“ is by the enterance gate and across the tennis court from the main lodge/restaurant/bar/sitting areas; maybe my least favorite?

Zanzibar and Seychelles are more in the gardens and have nice outdoors areas.
Do they offer any airport transportation?

Do they offer any airport transportation?
I have not used them for airport transport; but have had them arrange for a car/driver for me.

Thats pretty typical for my trips; I get the front desk to arrange for trustworthy service and it’s always been relative inexpensive. J’Berg,Windhoek,Harare.

Usually craft market/curios/gun store/book store/taxidermist along those lines.

I see more and dont get involved with car rentals or finding my way around inside the cities in short time frames driving myself.

Just back from Amanzi Lodge after a trip without CMS, Amanzi was really nice and I would be more than happy to take my wife to stay there. Food was excellent and the staff and owner were very friendly. We were collected and dropped off at the airport by Amanzi staff

A little dated but another option in Harare is Ballantyne’s Lodge. Wife and I stayed there in June 2021 during the COVID mess. No complaints, place was nice and food was quite good. We even stored some of our excess baggage there before our Zambezi River cruise.

IMG_8969.jpeg

We really enjoyed our stay at Amanzi.

Amanzi is a good lodge. They will be able to organise an airport shuttle or local taxi for driving around sight seeing. Plenty of nice restaurants around that area with good food if you want something other than their in house restaurant. Mozambik is just up the road, great peri peri chicken and a bit more family than Amanzi. Bishops Mistress is round the corner and very good, a bit more upscale food.

Thanks

One must-go in Harare is the Tin Shed. It's the indoor/outdoor bar that every PH hangs out at. Great piri piri chicken and domestic beers. I'd ask your PH if he could arrange a local buddy PH of his to take you there for dinner.

As to lodging, I've only stayed in homes in Harare (Banff house in Bulawayo is my usual haunts). I do know the old Hilton that was nationalized by Mugabe is now called Rainbow Towers. I think that's the best hotel in Harare, but I'd check with the locals on that one before I booked.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JimmieWool

Latest profile posts

thriller wrote on Sue Tidwell's profile.
Just finished your book (audio) and ordered a hardback for my Library. You did a wonderful job explaining the way conservation works in Africa, and my wife is interested in reading your book now. Thank you for your work.
Bluecyclone wrote on LES7's profile.
Hello there,
Could you tell me if your model 70 has two recoil lugs? I have heard some of the super express rifles had one, while the safari express has two.
Thank you.
Brant.
Saddlemaker wrote on Drexel64742's profile.
Hi Drexel, Would like to purchase your brass , Would a business check be fine?
overunderranger wrote on Stamp Collector's profile.
I'm interested in the 28 gauge Ruger, if you still have it.
Tanner wrote on gearguywb's profile.
I’m blown away the rifle hasn’t sold. I will take it!