Outfitter communications

Rellik

Reaction score
Member of
NRA Life
Hunted
MT,WY,AK,SD, KS, TX
Like many on this forum, I dreamt of hunting in Africa since I was old enough to read about it. I am closing out my fifth decade of life on this earth and that 1st African hunt is now close to reality. At least I think it is. Sorry in advance for the lack of specifics, but I don't want to raise any flags if there is nothing to be concerned about.

I joined this forum, did some research, decided where I wanted to go and chose a well established outfitter for a South African PG hunt. I sent the email with my intent to book, provided a two month window of dates that could work for me and and received a prompt answer back. The outfitter recommended dates that fit in the window, and I then cleared those dates with my employer. I then contacted the outfitter, confirmed the dates and ask for next steps to ensure my booking. I offered to pay a deposit but received no response on that point, only that I was "booked" and a recommendation to use a specific well known travel service to book my flights and arrange for rifle transport. I followed that advice, booked my flights and then contacted the outfitter once again, told him of my flight arrangements and again, asked for next steps. Other than a cordial " we will do our best" response, I have received no other guidance or communication from them. I don't need a babysitter in the process , I just feel like should have received more detailed information from them regarding my hunt. The hunt is 5 1/2 months away and I certainly don't want to ring alarm bells if there is no immediate cause for concern. What I am experiencing may be completely normal.

So, what should I expect in terms of communication and within what timeline? I am aware of the requirements like the 4457 and SAPS520 but there there must be some sort of paperwork, liability agreement, etc. that needs to completed with the outfitter, or at least something more formal than an email confirmation of booked dates.
I am interested to hear from those of you have have booked multiple hunts and what your experiences have been with regard to communications from your outfitter.
Thank you

Not normal. You should have a contract and deposit or daily rates paid by now. It may all be fine however.

I agree with Philip it's not normal but I know this time of year everybody is usually busy prepping for the marketing season in the states and it can get busy. If a deposit is not asked, don't pay it. You benefit more to keep it in your pocket until you have a hunting contract or invitation to hunt letter or anything else to confirm your booking is confirmed and solid.

For a South African Outfitter, there is no excuse in poor communications. Different story for someone that are from countries not as developed as South Africa such as Zimbabwe, Zambia, Mozambique and to an extent, certain parts of Namibia.
If you are not comfortable, move on.

They’ve pretty much covered it with their comments. You should have a contract by now, but a number of operators are still hunting and busy so perhaps it’s as simple as that. But, if he’s simply been too busy then ask him to confirm that and get an approximate time that you’ll have your contract and invitation to hunt letter. Also details on when a deposit is expected and where to make it.

Once you get to 90 days I’d expect everything to fall into place and if you don’t see that happening I’d start being concerned. At that point I’d want an explanation for why paperwork and deposits aren’t being addressed.

If you’re not comfortable, you have a little time to find another company to hunt with; but I wouldn’t drag my feet too long.

Do you have their WhatsApp contact info? If not, I would start using that channel for comms. You could reach out for a status update and ask when they would like to complete the paperwork.

I think good comms are very important and I stress that to people asking me for advice. I have recommended outfitters for the main reason that they ARE good communicators...thus everything will be worked out in the end. For those who aren't good at comms, it can put stress before, during or after a hunt. I know operators aren't able to answer quickly every little thing and newbies to Africa have a ton of questions. That's part of the value of this forum; we can answer some questions and help set expectations.

I will say that outfitters/operators/PHs who have good soft skills have a real advantage in today's market. Those who are surly, difficult, etc create stress for hunters. I know which one creates better memories with my time and $.

I have always had good communication with South African outfitters with only one exception but that was 10 years ago. As @Green Chile mentioned, it seems many South African outfitters prefer WhatsApp.

I agree with @Green Chile. Begin a WhatsApp conversation with them.

They could still be busy hunting..... and email seems to be the slowest and least reliable form of communication for outfitters on the African continent.

Regardless, they should provide you with a form of payment for deposit and confirming your dates.

What everyone else said except that you are the customer and an outfitter needs to make you feel reasonably comfortable that those dates are in fact held. After contacting them through WhatsApp if you don't feel better about it than book with one of the other 2 million great SA Outfitters of which only a modest amount are on this site. Feel free to reach out through PM if you need any suggestions.

HH

Not normal. You should have a contract and deposit or daily rates paid by now. It may all be fine however.
I agree with @Philip Glass not normal. It could be they are just busy with their hunts and are swamped. If it was me I would reach out via phone no messages…if no response I would move on. There are just other fantastic outfitters that will gladly meet your needs

You received good advice already, but I second a lot of what was said. I see no excuse for a South African outfitter not communicating, cell service and WiFi is available nearly everywhere, but try with WhatsApp. At minimum they should have sent you a 1 page contract to sign and a deposit schedule. If they are busy hunting, I’d at least expect a short note saying they’d get back to you as soon as possible with a client who has committed to book. How long have you been without communication from them? It might be nothing, but they may have also shifted priorities divorce, money problems, lawsuits, different business ventures, things happen. I’d check with recent references. If you don’t get a good feeling move on to a different outfitter. You have nothing invested in this trip yet. Flights and vacation dates can get moved.

Also, it’s difficult to give good advice without knowing the outfitter’s name, but I think you are making the right choice withholding it publicly. If everything is good and you decide to keep hunt, it would only start things off on a bad note.

I realize you don’t want to name the outfitter but if we knew who they are chances are that someone on the forum would know something about them.

I realize you don’t want to name the outfitter but if we knew who they are chances are that someone on the forum would know something about them.
Searching hunt reports and sending some PMs might be a good option to get information too

Searching hunt reports and sending some PMs might be a good option to get information too
+1 to Fox's comments...search the forum to see if others have hunted with that company and send some PMs to learn of their experience...if you haven't already done that in your research.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PenelopeDx

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

akriet wrote on Tom Leoni's profile.
Hello Tom: I saw your post about having 11 Iphisi's for sale. I have been thinking about one. I am also located in Virginia. Do you have photos of the availables to share? My email is [redacted]

Thanks and regards,

Andy
Natural Bridge, Virginia
TAG SAFARI wrote on mvalden's profile.
Wishing you a Happy Birthday!