Outdoor Cooking/Grilling/Braai Area

Josh P

Bronze supporter
AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Hunted
United States, Canada
There's a good deal of crossover between hunting and cooking, obviously. What does everyone like for dedicated outdoor cooking areas, be it a simple grill or a standalone Summer kitchen? An upcoming project is open ended at this point and I should start some back-of-the-napkin planning. Water and electricity are both available, so non-remote friendly ideas are welcome as well. Feel free to show off your favorite hardware or builds. Can't wait to get cooking.

In Australia we use a lot of gas burners for our Barbecue or BBQ cookers. I like a whole flat plate steel sheet for cooking some come with cast iron plates and some are cast iron grills.
Having running water and a sink in the outside cooking area is a bonus. Power is good for lighting and music.
What 374er said above makes sense. Some form of smoker, Weber or Big Green Egg makes sense.
I would like a has smoker so I can smoke my small goods and sausage but also just use it as an outdoor oven to roast in if needed..

We enjoy cooking outside as much as possible.
There is power to the island and plenty of storage. We run a DCS grill, Primos Oval smoker, verticle offset smoker and the newest addition being a pizza oven. I am extending the island and the oven will then sit inline with the other components.
If your a bit handy with building you can do it all yourself. The granite countertop I outsourced.

Screenshot_20230620-190520.png

Last edited by a moderator:
If your a bit handy with building you can do it all yourself. The granite countertop I outsourced.
That's the plan, to DIY as much as is reasonable. I genuinely enjoy cooking, and outdoor space to prepare from the garden and game will get a lot of use.

I have a handmade pizza oven, Bradley smoker with a Santa Maria style grill and a gas bbq along with a single burner for odds and ends. Love my set up.

IMG_2104.jpeg
IMG_7835.jpeg

I cheat, I cook on a RecTeq pellet grill. It was worth every dime.

Yep.

I let the wife talk me into a Traeger…

I have to admit.. I was reluctant… and didn’t want to spend almost triple what a really well made charcoal grill would cost (I’ve always preferred cooking over hardwood or charcoal)…

After the first couple of cooks, I was completely sold…

I’m a pellet grill guy for life now

My buddy and I came back from Africa full of ideas for braai inspired setups. I love how they're so simple but functional. The little fireboxes that make hardwood coals are particularly ingenious.

Still in the planning phase as far as that, but I'm a Weber kettle guy. Have a 30+ year old one my father in law gave to me when he replaced it, still going strong. It's simple and super versatile and doesn't cost as much as a kudu shoulder mount ;)

I just realized half my photos from SA that are not hunting related are braais in various configurations. :)

20230412_183000.jpg
20230414_165306.jpg
20230414_202836.jpg
20230415_095256.jpg
20230416_142035.jpg
20230416_185155.jpg
20230417_195836.jpg

This gets me excited for cooking. Those are handy configurations.
Yeah again, I like simple, versatile and functional. I'm still trying to decide how elaborate I'd like to get and how much I actually want to spend.

I will go a different direction, for two reasons. 1) Most of you have the larger, more permanent fixtures covered. 2) I don't have anything like that yet. :p

So, on a much more basic level... my "grill" in the yard, when I want bacon, steak, s'mores, or coffee.

And the beach in front of my remote cabin, when I want the same.

I also have a little butane stove that fits in my pocket that I've had for something more than a decade, that gets those duties when I am hunting.

56232367_10219320175294595_3153763475788922880_o.jpg

IMG_3497.JPG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carltonulced

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

John A Flaws wrote on Horbs's profile.
500 schuler magazine.jpg
500 schuler bore.jpg
500 and 425 rifles.jpg
500 and 425 magaizne.jpg
cwpayton wrote on Goat416's profile.
Goat416 welcome to the forum ,youve got some great pics and Im sure trophy's
ghay wrote on professor's profile.
Hello,
Would you consider selling just the Barnes 235's and 250g TTSX's?
Hunt27 wrote on Tra3's profile.
Spain, i booked through a consultant, i book almost everything through him now and he's done me right. his contact 724 986 7206 if interested and he will have more info to share,
I hunted elephant with Luke Samaris in 2005. It was my fourth safari and I tell you he is a fine gentleman the best. I got the opportunity to meet Patty Curtis, although never hunted with him but enjoyed our conversation around our tent in the Selous. Very sad for a tough guy to leave this world the way he did. Let’s pray the murderers are caught. I hope to see Luke in Nashville.