Options for 35 Whelen-9.3x62

AI version? Oh please! We dont need no stinking AI version!! Just need some Uncle Bob Whelen sauce, now we're talking WHELEN time!! Yeeehaaaaaaaaa!!:love:
@sestoppelman
Shake and bake baby shake and bake.
Bob

I have some new loads worked up for my Ruger No.1 to try, using AA2700 powder. There was some at the LGS the other day so I bought a can to try in several guns.

What makes calibers outlive others or stay useful and popular?
Maybe the Whelen is backing the wrong performance ballpark, going after the high velocity .338 WM like performance, very American in its thinking.
While the 9.3 plays to the slow and heavy is better crowd.
Why get a Whelen when the 30's and .338's cover the fast scenarios so well?
The 9.3 doesnt need to reach out at 2900fps but rather hammer anything close by with 286gr of goodness.
The difference is noticable in large bushveld game. The 9.3 fills a niche while the Whelen just does what others do, this is why you still find rifles in 9.3x62 and .338 WinMag , but nothing in .35 Whelen.
I want a .338 WM

Maybe the Whelen is backing the wrong performance ballpark, going after the high velocity .338 WM like performance, very American in its thinking.
The 9.3 doesnt need to reach out at 2900fps but rather hammer anything close by with 286gr of goodness.
The difference is noticable in large bushveld game. The 9.3 fills a niche while the Whelen just does what others do, this is why you still find rifles in 9.3x62 and .338 WinMag , but nothing in .35 Whelen.
I want a .338 WM
I have both! I can get a bit more speed with top loads out of my Win mag than the Whelen, but not a whole lot really.
In my late model 70 Winchester Alaskan recoil is quite manageable, with its soft pad. Its a super rifle all in all, and CRF.
My current Whelen, and I have had more than a few over the years, is a Ruger No.1-S medium, 24 inch barrel, shoots great, plan to keep this one.
Previous owner added a black spacer and a Pachy Decelerator pad to it so @AZDAVE would probably approve of its long LOP, almost too long for me but not quite.

Variety is the spice of life!

@frhunter13
Te AI Whelen is a pain in the arse and a waste of good projectiles when fire forming. For the slight gain in performance it is not worth the hassle. I have the standard and the AI and the standard when loaded properly is fine.
I load the 220gn Atomic 29s (similar to the TSX) at just under 2,900fps chronoed 12 feet from the muzzle. Just have to find something bigger than fallow deer to try it on.

Why do you load to such a short overall length. The standard COAL is 3.34". I can load to 3.4" OAL..
The Whelen has a fairly long throat so unless you have short mah long throat syndrome I don't understand the short lenght.
Load out longer enables you to put more COAL on the fire and is usually more accurate.
Bob
Bob. Receiver is VZ 24 Mauser. 3.23 was 8x57JS max coal. She will run 3.34 but barely. I would rather avoid possible hang ups when it counts. She is sub MOA anyhows.
as for the 338, I turned mine into a 375/338 Chatfield Taylor. More better! That one is a Real thumper and runs 3.34 no problems.

I want a .338 WM
The Whelen is useful and popular. Also does whatever the 9.3 does. If you want to go magnum, the 338 is a mini compared to a real magnum. Has good ballistics though. Different class anyhow. My gunsmith had one rifle. Was a production 35 Whelen. He never needed anything else. He was the one that turned me on to them 30 years ago.

Here is a real beauty of a Whelen, fantastic wood. I have this very same rifle and wood is nice but not nearly this nice, but it shoots very well so I dont care.
I tried a new load last week using AA2700 powder and 225 SGK bullets, it was a good combo for the rifle, groups were from just over an inch to just under.
Powder is a bit slow for the Whelen but I wanted to try it in several calibers, this being one.

GB rifle above is the 1-S medium with 24" barrel, same as mine, not common.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-10-30 at 9.13.52 AM Large.jpeg
    Screen Shot 2022-10-30 at 9.13.52 AM Large.jpeg
    151.1 KB · Views: 38
  • Screen Shot 2022-10-30 at 9.13.54 AM Large.jpeg
    Screen Shot 2022-10-30 at 9.13.54 AM Large.jpeg
    170.5 KB · Views: 39
  • Screen Shot 2022-10-30 at 9.13.56 AM Large.jpeg
    Screen Shot 2022-10-30 at 9.13.56 AM Large.jpeg
    152.8 KB · Views: 36

Here is a real beauty of a Whelen, fantastic wood. I have this very same rifle and wood is nice but not nearly this nice, but it shoots very well so I dont care.
I tried a new load last week using AA2700 powder and 225 SGK bullets, it was a good combo for the rifle, groups were from just over an inch to just under.
Powder is a bit slow for the Whelen but I wanted to try it in several calibers, this being one.

GB rifle above is the 1-S medium with 24" barrel, same as mine, not common.
@sestoppelman
I worked up to 69gn on CFE223 with the 225gn game king and got just under 2,900fps and .75 inch groups. Very potent load.
Bob

If you have any thoughts of hunting Africa and buffalo the 9,3 is your choice, hands down. It works and is recognized and allowed most places. Actually, for $50-$100 you could use your '06 most of the time.

If hunting here the 35 gets the nod, IMO. I've used both and like the extra oomph of the 9,3. It can be brewed up to close to the 375 H&H FM or shot at some distance with 232gr and 250gr bullets. There are plenty of great 9,3 bullets offered nowadays, so the 35 doesn't have that advantage cornered.

I can actually find 9,3X62 ammo cheaper and more readily than I can the Whelen.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shakeel

Latest profile posts

Longfeather1 wrote on Cmwkwarrwn's profile.
Hello Clark
Thanks for the interest in my rifle. If you want to discuss it further you can email me direct at [redacted] or call my cell number [redacted].
Look forward to talking with you.
Regards,
Jack Kramer
quacker attacker wrote on JMV375's profile.
Hello, My wife and I hunted with Marius 2 years ago. He fit us into his schedule after a different outfitter "bailed" on us. He was always very good with communications and although we didn't end up meeting him personally, he called us multiple times during our hunt to make sure things were going well. We were very happy with him.
TERMINATOR wrote on Cuthberto's profile.
Reach out to the guys at Epic Outdoors.

They will steer you right for landowner tags and outfitters that have them.

I have held a membership with them for years and they are an invaluable resource.

Way better that asking random people on the internet...WAY better

Raskolnikov743 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
Skydiver386,

Did you ever find your 30-06 CZ550? I own a fairly solid conditioned one, if you wanted to talk.

[redacted]