Options for 35 Whelen-9.3x62

Jamie D Van Roekel

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
I’m doing research for a local radio show that I’m doing. Is there any commercially available rifles built for the 35 Whelen and or 9.3x62. Looking for something of value if there is anything. Thanks.

Zastava makes a 9.3x62 M70 bolt action, ruger built a hawkeye in 9.3x62, several other companies make them. The .35 Whelen was produced by several American companies but not sure if they are still building them at present.

i feel hurt with all the 35 whelen hate, here many good .35 cal bullets and 3006 cases are every where and factory ammo is not hard to find. but 9.3x62 is mostly a special order(hens teeth) item, i own a custom 9.3x62 that cost me twice the cost of a 35 whelan to shoot.

.35 Whelen is a dead horse....

:A Crutches:
HWL
Ha ha Not So. 35 Whelen is Very popular in the single shot world of primitive arms hunting here in Louisiana and Mississippi. Also where states minimum diameter for big game hunting is .358. Also capable of taking any animal on the planet except that many African countries limit the diameter of dangerous game cartridges. It’s easy to convert 3006 brass to 35 Whelen and commercial ammo is available because of the single shot popularity. 9.3x63 rifles are readily available. The SAKO 100 is a good example and not too expensive. Ammo for it might be a challenge here in the US though, or brass for that matter.

Ha ha Not So. 35 Whelen is Very popular in the single shot world of primitive arms hunting here in Louisiana and Mississippi. Also where states minimum diameter for big game hunting is .358. Also capable of taking any animal on the planet except that many African countries limit the diameter of dangerous game cartridges. It’s easy to convert 3006 brass to 35 Whelen and commercial ammo is available because of the single shot popularity. 9.3x63 rifles are readily available. The SAKO 100 is a good example and not too expensive. Ammo for it might be a challenge here in the US though, or brass for that matter.
Good information, yes .35 Whelen ammo is readily available here in South Louisiana, even at some Walmart in the rural towns. When I had my Mauser 98 built in .35 Whelen, 20 years ago. I thought it would be a handloading proposition, or order online only.
Now it is available, and the old school deer hunters, that hunt Primitive Weapons season, are new believers in the .35 Whelen.

It's just 20 years behind the 9.3x62 and an American thing, as the 9.3 is a Continental Europe and Africa thing.

Even with overlap, I still want a 9.3x62, just because it's classic.
I handled a Zastava model 70, that my gunsmith is working on for another client; the Mauser action cleans up really well.

.35 Whelen is a dead horse....

:A Crutches:
HWL
@HWL
The 35 Whelen is alive and doing well. Just because no one makes a commercial Whelen anymore don't mean it's dead. There's plenty of barrel makers out there that do a Whelen barrel. Shaw make a barrel that can be screwed straight into a Savage in 5 minutes by anyone with just basic knowledge and you tube.
Those that have Whelens know how well it works.
Those that hang shit on the Whelen are either envious or want one.
Bob

What makes the 35 Whelan "primitive"? Calibre?
Only when it is loaded into a rifle that is a single shot break open and has an exposed hammer. Any caliber over 35 can be used for this if the rifle type was made before 1900 and satisfies the criteria above. I have such a single shot and have taken my biggest deer with it in primitive arms season. I also have a custom built 35 Whelen on a VZ24 Mauser receiver. I have taken some big deer with it. All one shot DRT. I use Remington Core Lokt ammo. 200g at 2680 fps. It can do 250g at 2700 fps. By chronograph. Overkill for deer.

i feel hurt with all the 35 whelen hate, here many good .35 cal bullets and 3006 cases are every where and factory ammo is not hard to find. but 9.3x62 is mostly a special order(hens teeth) item, i own a custom 9.3x62 that cost me twice the cost of a 35 whelan to shoot.
Not hate from what I read. The 35 Whelen is "American" and the 9.3 "European". Until recently the 9.3 was not in the lime-light as the 35. From Boddington... consider the 9.3 an upgraded 35. I have both CZ and Steyr 9.3s and they are tack drivers. With CFE and CCI 200, I've gotten the 286 gr Barnes TSX up to 2400 fps (your mileage may vary and be careful). The 9.3 hasn't gotten the attention it has in the rest of the world. A lot more bullet styles for the 35. However, as a thumper, the 9.3 has better sectional density. The 250 gr 358 is 0.279, The 286 9.3 is 0.305 and the 300 is 0.320. Nice to be above 0.300 when hunting bigger stuff.

The 35 Whelen is ,358x61. The 9.3 is .366x62. They are closer than a comparison of 3006 bs 308 so the arguments are endless. I don’t think the animal hit can tell the difference!. Much easier to find brass, ammo or bullets in the USA with the Whelen. In Africa the opposite is true. The 9.3 (.366) is approved for dangerous game in SA. The .358 is not. Fair no, but the line is drawn.

Only when it is loaded into a rifle that is a single shot break open and has an exposed hammer. Any caliber over 35 can be used for this if the rifle type was made before 1900 and satisfies the criteria above. I have such a single shot and have taken my biggest deer with it in primitive arms season. I also have a custom built 35 Whelen on a VZ24 Mauser receiver. I have taken some big deer with it. All one shot DRT. I use Remington Core Lokt ammo. 200g at 2680 fps. It can do 250g at 2700 fps. By chronograph. Overkill for deer.
@frhunter13
No such thing as overkill. The 250 would do lees meat damage than the 200s.
More power more fun up to a point.
My mate Greg had a CVA in 35Whelen, sold it before I had a chance to buy it. Very accurate and sweet shooting.
Bob

Not hate from what I read. The 35 Whelen is "American" and the 9.3 "European". Until recently the 9.3 was not in the lime-light as the 35. From Boddington... consider the 9.3 an upgraded 35. I have both CZ and Steyr 9.3s and they are tack drivers. With CFE and CCI 200, I've gotten the 286 gr Barnes TSX up to 2400 fps (your mileage may vary and be careful). The 9.3 hasn't gotten the attention it has in the rest of the world. A lot more bullet styles for the 35. However, as a thumper, the 9.3 has better sectional density. The 250 gr 358 is 0.279, The 286 9.3 is 0.305 and the 300 is 0.320. Nice to be above 0.300 when hunting bigger stuff.
@DrBob How bout a 275g Woodleigh PPSP out of the Whelen at close to 2,600fps, same sd as the 286.
Or the 310 Woodleigh RN in the Whelen with higher sd than the 9.3 and 300gn 375. Sd of the 310 is around .307
2,455fps out of the Whelen with a healthy dose of H4350. Chronoed.
Bob
20220618_081949.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shakeel

Latest profile posts

Longfeather1 wrote on Cmwkwarrwn's profile.
Hello Clark
Thanks for the interest in my rifle. If you want to discuss it further you can email me direct at [redacted] or call my cell number [redacted].
Look forward to talking with you.
Regards,
Jack Kramer
quacker attacker wrote on JMV375's profile.
Hello, My wife and I hunted with Marius 2 years ago. He fit us into his schedule after a different outfitter "bailed" on us. He was always very good with communications and although we didn't end up meeting him personally, he called us multiple times during our hunt to make sure things were going well. We were very happy with him.
TERMINATOR wrote on Cuthberto's profile.
Reach out to the guys at Epic Outdoors.

They will steer you right for landowner tags and outfitters that have them.

I have held a membership with them for years and they are an invaluable resource.

Way better that asking random people on the internet...WAY better

Raskolnikov743 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
Skydiver386,

Did you ever find your 30-06 CZ550? I own a fairly solid conditioned one, if you wanted to talk.

[redacted]