Optic Overkill?

To me, the more I get aged, the less magnification I like. Usually, my session at the shooting range is from 100 to 300 meters, and the most powerful scope I own is a S&B 2.5/10 x, on my 300wby. I feel at home shooting up to 350 mt with it. In more recent times I like so much shooting my 8x68S with a Swar 1/6, a magnification I find enough up to 300 and perfect to work on the 200/250 distance. You don't need an high x to shot tight groups, nor to do it in real hunting conditions. In fact, you'll have less wobbling and less perception of your breathe and heartbeat with a low power scope. Moreover, you'll have less field and a less immediate eye relief with an high x ratio. As I am also a bowhunter, I use to shot up to 70 mt with by bowhunting setup - so, zero magnification and no reticle (just a pin) at 70 with a non steady device. Let me say : yes, to me anything more than a 10x, maybe max 14x (despite I don't like the latter all that much...), it's an overkill for hunting - and mostly with a 30.06. Maybe it's just me : but I feel that the real challenge (and fun) is to get as close as possible - not as far as possible...
 
I put a 3.5-10X 40 Leupold VX3HD on my 25-'06 Ruger No.1. Perfect.

I love Zeiss optics, but I do not like 30mm tubes and overly large objective lenses... bulk and weight are the problem.
@Nevada Mike
My 3-9x40 Zeiss is a one inch tube.
It is the cheaper Terra but an excellent bit of kit for the price.
Bob
 
I have a pair of Zeiss 10 X 40 rubber armoured binos that I bought in Munich about 20 years ago. God glass and still going strong.
 
I put a Leupold VX3-HD 4.5-14 x 40 CDS onto my .25-06, I wanted that little bit of extra magnification for those longer shots. The first year that I had it on that rifle I took a coues deer buck at 420 yards.
That magnification range and objective size appear to be the practical maximum for hunting unless you have helicopter/aeroplane OR motor vehicle transport to your base camp and/or hunting area. I remember a guy who had a Sako 75 SS chambered to .223 Remington, which he used for NZDA competition shooting and hunting. He was and still is: a responsible hunter who will take clear shots as opposed to desperate shots. One of those people with whom you will always be happy to hunt, shoot and share the bush.
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,427
Messages
1,575,888
Members
170,443
Latest member
meltpeakkde
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

Hornedfrogbbq wrote on Rhoyland4's profile.
Do you mind me asking what auction you are referencing? I'm not in the market for any of those rifles...just curious.

Frosty in Fort Worth
K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is [redacted] in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
 
Top