Opinions please: Pros/Cons of .375 Ruger vs .375 H&H

Gonna rib you a little Bee….

We have a PH in this thread that says he can tell the difference with his client on Buffalo. All I hear here is listen to your PH!
I dont believe that.....and I own 2 x 375 H&H.....

Performance gain????The 375 H&H is already travelling a bit too fast for Buff and elephant.....load heavier bullets and it just shines....it does not need more velocity for DG....we are fortunate to have Rhino bullets at 340gr.....devestatingly effective.....the all American need for speed is the wrong way to go for DG, no matter the caliber.....

Performance gain????The 375 H&H is already travelling a bit too fast for Buff and elephant.....load heavier bullets and it just shines....it does not need more velocity for DG....we are fortunate to have Rhino bullets at 340gr.....devestatingly effective.....the all American need for speed is the wrong way to go for DG, no matter the caliber.....
I’m very curious what powder and load would achieve 2200 - 2300fps in a 375Ruger
66gr H4350 ?
( not that it matters as I can’t get them in the USA)

I dont own or load for a 375 Ruger.....

I’m very curious what powder and load would achieve 2200 - 2300fps in a 375Ruger
66gr H4350 ?
( not that it matters as I can’t get them in the USA)
375Ruger350gr.png
Supposedly Re17 as well

Attachments

I 100% agree bring sh!t that works. But, I've also had four rifles CZ550, Win70, Savage, and Ruger medium-large bores. All under 1K, and all worked every time for hundreds of rounds each. I spent a lot more on glass and taxidermy. I wouldn't bring an untrustworthy rifle no matter the price point.
I guess my comment was a little unclear. What I meant, and probably should have articulated a little better is, buy something that you know to be reliable, and will feed and function well. Not just based on price point. I’ve had good luck with Winchester rifles, which, as you say, are not that expensive. Maybe I’m wrong, but in general, the lower you go down the price spectrum, the lower quality you will receive and expect to receive. I’ve owned several Ruger rifles over the years as well. And am not knocking any particular brand. But by having owned so many different brands and types of rifles, I feel like I have a pretty good idea of what has worked well for me.
As for the Ruger vs H&H debate, I feel like the rifle itself is the more important deciding factor. I just happen to think there are more tried and true rifles available in the H&H cartridge. Nothing wrong at all with the Ruger offering, if the rifle itself is reliable. But the notion that an extra 100 fps somehow makes the 375 Ruger superior, is somewhat misguided. As @IvW has stated, the extra velocity is not needed nor wanted when hunting Buffalo. But at the end of the day, I think people should shoot whatever they have confidence in. And if people are willing to trust their life on a Mossberg, so be it….

I guess my comment was a little unclear. What I meant, and probably should have articulated a little better is, buy something that you know to be reliable, and will feed and function well. Not just based on price point. I’ve had good luck with Winchester rifles, which, as you say, are not that expensive. Maybe I’m wrong, but in general, the lower you go down the price spectrum, the lower quality you will receive and expect to receive. I’ve owned several Ruger rifles over the years as well. And am not knocking any particular brand. But by having owned so many different brands and types of rifles, I feel like I have a pretty good idea of what has worked well for me.
As for the Ruger vs H&H debate, I feel like the rifle itself is the more important deciding factor. I just happen to think there are more tried and true rifles available in the H&H cartridge. Nothing wrong at all with the Ruger offering, if the rifle itself is reliable. But the notion that an extra 100 fps somehow makes the 375 Ruger superior, is somewhat misguided. As @IvW has stated, the extra velocity is not needed nor wanted when hunting Buffalo. But at the end of the day, I think people should shoot whatever they have confidence in. And if people are willing to trust their life on a Mossberg, so be it….

Yup, I understand. I do think modern CNC & Wire EDM has closed the gap, but then again... the cheap rifles I bought a few years ago are starting to not be. I personally never saw the fps "advantage" because my 375 Ruger's were always short barrels compared to my H&Hs. Desirable for trying to get through some of this Alaskan alder thicket. I like all my 375s and all my rifles (both the cheap and expensive ones). If I don't love the rifle (fit, reliability, accuracy) they don't stay.

Back to my original point, I think the availability of some relatively inexpensive mainstream offerings in .375 Ruger that are available most of the time is a plus for the Ruger caliber. I will admit what a couple of others have alluded too, the Mossbergs probably are not a good choice.
Now why would you say such negative things about Mossberg and their owners? You with your expensive Ruger African looking down your nose at lesser rifles and their owners. That sounds like snobbery sir! LOL!
If you stick around awhile, you’ll see that the mood is usually pretty light around here. You’ll also see that I do A LOT of horse trading with guns. Mostly to my own detriment, some would say. That’s how I’ve been able to own and shoot so many different rifles. And I’ve also been able to find out what works best for me by doing so. I’ve owned many budget friendly rifles over the years, and have found some of them perfectly reliable and some not so much. For instance, my current go to deer rifle is a Tikka T3 30/06. It’s around $900 if bought new, and is ultra reliable and very accurate. In today’s world, I would consider that relatively inexpensive for a rifle that offers that kind of performance. But it still falls in the budget rifle category. Albeit on the high end of that category. Heck, some of the current rifles in the $450 range are plenty accurate and dependable enough for deer hunting. But I wouldn’t rely on these rifles to hunt DG, no matter which 375 caliber they were chambered in.

I own a 375 Ruger.
Pro for me, it came in a left-handed M77 action rifle at a pretty reasonable price compared to the H&H's in Lefty I could find in 2011.
In 2011 through around 2020 brass was readily available and I hand loaded up mine for giraffe in 2013 and buffalo and some plains game in '21.

But, Cons
Brass since 2020 to now is tough to find if not downright impossible. Maybe something changed without me knowing it, but I'm glad I have mine. I don't know what's up.
Yeah, somebody on here mentioned awhile ago that Hornady hasn't manufactured reloading brass for 3 years. I have a .375 Ruger too.

Don’t fall prey to the sales hype, aka: smoke & mirrors of the manufacturers.
Get yourself the original H&H.
Then go your way and sin no more.

I don't think of myself as a snob, I hang out in blue collar, working class circles, but I do look down my nose at Mossberg rifles, so maybe I am. I would rather Indian leg wrestle a buffalo than hunt one with a Mossberg.
How about a Savage 110 Brush Hunter 20" barrel (with sights) or Bear Hunter 23" barrel in .375 Ruger? I'd like to see a hunting video and hunt report of buffalo hunters using both the Mossberg and Savages. Hey, if Razor Dobbs can hunt buffalo with his 10mm pistol (there was a video on here of his hunt), you too can hunt one with your Mossberg or Savage. Just stirring the cauldron! LOL

Now why would you say such negative things about Mossberg and their owners? You with your expensive Ruger African looking down your nose at lesser rifles and their owners. That sounds like snobbery sir! LOL!
If you stick around awhile, you’ll see that the mood is usually pretty light around here. You’ll also see that I do A LOT of horse trading with guns. Mostly to my own detriment, some would say. That’s how I’ve been able to own and shoot so many different rifles. And I’ve also been able to find out what works best for me by doing so. I’ve owned many budget friendly rifles over the years, and have found some of them perfectly reliable and some not so much. For instance, my current go to deer rifle is a Tikka T3 30/06. It’s around $900 if bought new, and is ultra reliable and very accurate. In today’s world, I would consider that relatively inexpensive for a rifle that offers that kind of performance. But it still falls in the budget rifle category. Albeit on the high end of that category. Heck, some of the current rifles in the $450 range are plenty accurate and dependable enough for deer hunting. But I wouldn’t rely on these rifles to hunt DG, no matter which 375 caliber they were chambered in.
Hey, wait a minute, that Tikka is a PUSH FEED! What's the matter with you! Ha! Ha! Ha!

I KNOW! I like to live dangerously! Those whitetail deer are vicious adversaries for sure…
And remember, more hunters in NA have been injured by "undead" whitetail bucks than any other game animal. Just saying? LOL

My answer is yes to the Ruger African, no experience with the Howa. My African in .375 Ruger topped with a Leupold VX-6HD and QD mounts will fly with me to SA in 2025.
That was not a serious question LOL! But the Howa 1500 aka Weatherby Vanguard aka S&W 1500 is a really good platform, especially for the money!

How about a Savage 110 Brush Hunter 20" barrel (with sights) or Bear Hunter 23" barrel in .375 Ruger? I'd like to see a hunting video and hunt report of buffalo hunters using both the Mossberg and Savages. Hey, if Razor Dobbs can hunt buffalo with his 10mm pistol (there was a video on here of his hunt), you too can hunt one with your Mossberg or Savage. Just stirring the cauldron! LOL
Savage is Mossberg's older brother... he brews moonshine too... his trailer is four feet longer, but he is still in the same trailer park...

You are completely missing the point and are crossing the line of decent behavior.

I could care less what rifle you use as long as it’s reliable. I own a push feed rifle and fully intend on taking it to Africa for buffalo next year. This particular rifle has been fired by me several hundred times with no failures to feed, fire, extract and pick up a new cartridge.

Push feed actions get a lot of flack for not being ideal for a DG rifle but I could care less. If the rifle has a proven track record…use it.

If your rifle is a Savage, Mossberg, Rigby, Mauser or anything else…I really don’t care. It’s YOUR rifle and the only one it needs to please is you.

Do your best to refrain from the snobbery comments. It’s only highlighting your malice.

Can we just get back to 375H&H vs 375RUGER please?
To totally dismiss the the appearance of snobbery in some of the earlier comments in this thread is.......snobbery! And besides that you have accused me of a much higher offense than snobbery. MALICE!! And if I may continue taking yourself too seriously is also snobbery!

If you don't find this post humorous you are guilty of...yes snobbery!

Seriously though, the reason why on the Mossberg. I have owned one Mossberg rifle, it would not group, ever. And sometimes it would not go boom.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
djshfsdf

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

DEAR SIR/MADAM,
DO YOU NEED FINANCE?
ARE YOU LOOKING FOR FINANCE?
ARE YOU LOOKING FOR FINANCE TO ENLARGE YOUR BUSINESS?
WE HELP INDIVIDUALS AND COMPANIES TO OBTAIN FINANCE FOR BUSINESS
EXPANDING AND TO SETUP A NEW BUSINESS RANGING ANY AMOUNT. GET FINANCE AT AFFORDABLE INTEREST RATE OF 3% contact us Pacific landing Whatsapp +91, Seven, Three, 0, Three, Three, Eight, Two, Six, Three, One
NYAMAZANA SAFARIS wrote on majorsafari's profile.
Trail cam image is of a cat we never took .. it’s not a great image but I can assure you it’s a very big cat . Other photo is of my client with his cat this year .
thokau wrote on Just a dude in BC's profile.
Hallo, ein Freund von mir lebt auf einer Farm in den Rocky Mountains.
Leider kam es dort in den letzten Wochen zu Bränden.
Hoffe es geht dir gut!?