One rifle for North American big game?

Dr. JY Jones did the North American 48 with a 30-06. I’ve got a wide range of calibers because I can, that being said I grab a Winchester 70 30-06 99 times out of a 100 for my hunting. About the only thing I might consider stepping up for would be grizzly/brown or polar bear if they were on the menu.

Dr. JY Jones did the North American 48 with a 30-06. I’ve got a wide range of calibers because I can, that being said I grab a Winchester 70 30-06 99 times out of a 100 for my hunting. About the only thing I might consider stepping up for would be grizzly/brown or polar bear if they were on the menu.

I would add moose and elk, depending on location and terrain, because I can: choice 45-70, 375H&H, or 458WM.

Hello,

Wondering if any North American hunters can help me out.
I am wondering if anyone could suggest a rifle to sort of "do it all" for North American big game.

The main things I will hunt with it are Whitetail Deer and Wild Hogs in Florida.
However, there are other hunts I plan to do with this ride - out in the west for pronghorn, elk, and mule deer - as well as black bear somewhere further north.

First of all, what caliber would be suggested to take all these species? On average they will be 100-200 pound animals, so it needs to b comfortable to us for that - while still having the power to handle a 500+ pound elk.

As far as rifle action, weight, barrel length, and scope variation - what would you suggest? It's got to be comfortable in denser cover for hunting Florida, but still able to take game to 250+ yards for pronghorn and mule deer.

Can't wait to hear your suggestions.
Drew
While I'm still curious about what the OP chose six years ago when he asked the question, I'll add.my.opinion: .300 Win. Mag. It has both the horse power and the reach to neatly handle any animal on North America.

For the lower 48, given the various game and hunting conditions, not to mention the possibility of bumping into a grizzly bear in the northern west, I’d opt for the .338 Win Mag as my one and done for the lower 48.

Being that I have lived in Alaska, currently in New Mexico, my one and done is a .375 Ruger. The .338 Win Mag would handle Alaska but I got tired of the 26” barrel and trying to walk through the alders. The Ruger Guide Gun with it’s 20” barrel is a pure joy to pack around.

In fact I’d probably just get the .375 Ruger and call it good.

I cannot disagree with your choices. I am a fan of both the 338 Winchester and 375 Ruger cartridges. For anything whitetail size and above, at 300 yards and under, I would not hesitate to use my 20" 375 Ruger. The 270 grain Barnes LRX at 2700 plus a few fps, is my current favorite for a single do all load.

I have a favorite 338 Winchester, so far it has maintained its 24" barrel. But, I have cut a couple of 26" ones to ~ 22-5/8 and 23-1/4". I like both much better now. My son has a 20" stainless Ruger, mostly intended for snow machine use. I also have a 22" Ruger in 300 WSM which is a handy 30 caliber rifle.

20240516_230017.jpg

I wanted to be different so I shot this grizzly with a .308 Ruger Scout Rifle. The ammo was 168 ELDM at about 2420 fps at the muzzle. Entrance and exit wounds were about as good as anything I've seen with bigger calibers. So I guess I can hunt anything with my .308.

Anything NA is going to be a 30 cal. Take your pick, but those are the most effective. If you go after a brown fuzzy, you may need a 375.
Just to clarify, I am not a traveled hunter like many of the members on the forum. I have just read a lot and take notes. Personally, I’m going to end up with a 6.5 PRC, 300 Win Mag, and 375 H&H. I can’t hunt with typical centerfire rifles in IL. I am building my points in western states though, so rifles will be needed.

The 375 is definitely for Africa. You all have corrupted me with the hunt reports.

Another vote for the 30-06. Get a stainless version with 24” barrel if you can and shoot lighter weight Barnes for deer and pronghorn to a well built 180 for anything in North America. Recoil is tolerable to all with the exception of recoil sensitive hunters. Get a good trigger and a 3-9 scope. Ammo is in every Walmart or hardware store and most exceed the accuracy requirement for any hunt. I load 125 bt for a coworker and it’s lights out on whitetail deer. We shoot behind the shoulder and don’t try breaking them down. Good luck and have fun!

Just to clarify, I am not a traveled hunter like many of the members on the forum. I have just read a lot and take notes. Personally, I’m going to end up with a 6.5 PRC, 300 Win Mag, and 375 H&H. I can’t hunt with typical centerfire rifles in IL. I am building my points in western states though, so rifles will be needed.

The 375 is definitely for Africa. You all have corrupted me with the hunt reports.
If you’re building points out west you might as well just skip the 6.5PRC, save that money and use the 300WM for everything. Take that money you’d save between gun and optic and go book a hunt for pronghorn or black bear.

The 6.5PRC would be great for Coues Deer, Pronghorn, Sheep, and Goats since it’s smaller, faster, and flatter in a lighter rifle, BUT it’s not like the 300WM won’t do the job. Depending on how long you’ve been applying for the last two you’re likely WAY behind the curve so you can cross the bridge of needing a mountain gun if/when you draw the tag.

Ever since I discovered the joy of finding "the next gun", I've lost all appetite for any forms of "one rifle" talk. ;-)
Exactly! The original question was one rifle for everything in North America, but I keep buying "one more rifle" to handle a specific "need." First I had my .30-06 about 50 years ago. Then I wanted something that would reach across canyons better, a 7mm RM, 43 years ago. Then I moved to Washington and needed one in SS and synthetic, so a 7-08, 20 years ago. For years I planned a .300 WM on a Mauser action and when a BC moose hunt came up I finished that 14 years ago.

Along with NA I've also taken PG with both the .30-06 and the .300 WM. So I guess I could make any of those rifles work for anything in NA, but where's the fun in.that?

Actually I think an 8x68S would be perfect!
Great. Now go into any American sporting goods store and get a box of ammo. I even went into a big Bass Pro store and asked about 9.3x62. The clerk told me he had never heard of that caliber.
To be a useful "one gun for all of North America" cartridge it needs to have ammo available. I'm guessing that anyone shopping for one gun to do it all probably doesn't reload.

Agree and even though I purchased a custom .375 H&H for my Griz hunt —my Alaskan Guide was a Big fan of the .30-06…he said “bullet placement is everything, and most clients can handle an ‘06”…. My only other custom rifle is an ‘06 and it does “everything”.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlenaDorri

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

John A Flaws wrote on Horbs's profile.
500 schuler magazine.jpg
500 schuler bore.jpg
500 and 425 rifles.jpg
500 and 425 magaizne.jpg
cwpayton wrote on Goat416's profile.
Goat416 welcome to the forum ,youve got some great pics and Im sure trophy's
ghay wrote on professor's profile.
Hello,
Would you consider selling just the Barnes 235's and 250g TTSX's?
Hunt27 wrote on Tra3's profile.
Spain, i booked through a consultant, i book almost everything through him now and he's done me right. his contact 724 986 7206 if interested and he will have more info to share,
I hunted elephant with Luke Samaris in 2005. It was my fourth safari and I tell you he is a fine gentleman the best. I got the opportunity to meet Patty Curtis, although never hunted with him but enjoyed our conversation around our tent in the Selous. Very sad for a tough guy to leave this world the way he did. Let’s pray the murderers are caught. I hope to see Luke in Nashville.