Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA (Life), RMEF, DU, SCI
Hunted
Botswana
I've been mounting skulls from my Botswana trip and could use your ideas for the warthog. Here are pics of the plaque with and without the skull. Mouth open.or closed?

20240117_205309.jpg
20240117_205437.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
The kudu is at the taxidermist for a shoulder mount.

IMO if you are hanging flat on the wall, you won’t get much by opening the warthog skull. If you did a 3D panel, opening is cool.

A 3D panel? I'm not sure what that would be.

@RichD, what kind of wood are you using. I like it what you are doing. (y)

IMO swine with bigger lower tusk (European boar, bushpig and feral hogs) look ok with the mouth open but warthog with their large upper tusk look best with the mouth closed.

IMO swine with bigger lower tusk (European boar, bushpig and feral hogs) look ok with the mouth open but warthog with their large upper tusk look best with the mouth closed.
Good point noted. Closed it is.

Thank you. Using beetle kill pine aka blue pine. Pine bark beetles are killing millions of pines and a blue/gray tint is left behind.

Looks more exotic than pine. LOL!!! Great work.

Here you go. I sent pics to my wife while I was in Botswana. She said I had to do a shoulder mount on this one. I should have done a shoulder on the gemsbok as well. Next time...

20230614_113605.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Mouth closed
17058745940841273963687910393859.jpg

and mouth open
17058746372655567063974832973082.jpg

Mounting with mouth open is easier said than done. I use long fine wood screws to lock jaws open on bear skulls for clients, and it is tricky. However, jaw structure on warthogs is significantly different. Difficult to find a way to run the screw through to bone strong enough to accept the screw. I used copper wire on this one ... and not very effectively.

Both these skulls need more work. SA taxidermist left too much grease in them ... among a ton of other screwups.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LatiaU5154

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Another Wildebees cull shot this morning!
We are doing a cull hunt this week!

Hyde Hunter wrote on Ontario Hunter's profile.
which East Cape Taxidermist are you referring to? I had Lauriston do my work not real happy with them. oh thanks for the advise on the mount hangers a few months ago. Jim
jimbo1972 wrote on Bwaybuilder's profile.
Great to do business with
Grz63 wrote on Cecil Hammonds's profile.
Greetings from Clermont -ferrand !!