www.tokoloshesafaris.info
Deals & offers
Media
Articles
Member of
Life Member Safari International, Life Members Dallas Safari Club
Hunted
Zimbabwe, South Africa, Tanzania
We have sold one of two of our all inclusive $15,000 elephant hunts.

It has been brought to our attention by our last three hunters that due to our low prices that we must be running a scam which they found to not be true.I could really use the extra dollars, so if raising prices will lesson your worries we can easily do so.

We use no agents, but we have had a couple slip in as if they were the hunter. One Russian who paid twice our posted price. When we informed him what had happened he kicked the agent out did the same ele hunt over again and added leopard which he took.

Food for thought.

Lon

full

Last edited by a moderator:
Lon, your posts are intriguing. I'd love to meet you but alas do not aspire to be an elephant hunter. Absolutely no disrespect for those that do. Just not for me. Wish I could have been there when the Russian client "kicked out" his agent. That must have been interesting. I have heard more than a few horror stories from my PHs and lodge owner re Russian hunters. Perhaps a couple of you guys could start a thread about the worst clients. I can only imagine the yarns that must be exchanged at professional hunter association gatherings. Would make for fun reading if someone collected them into a volume or two.

Lon, your posts are intriguing. I'd love to meet you but alas do not aspire to be an elephant hunter. Absolutely no disrespect for those that do. Just not for me. Wish I could have been there when the Russian client "kicked out" his agent. That must have been interesting. I have heard more than a few horror stories from my PHs and lodge owner re Russian hunters. Perhaps a couple of you guys could start a thread about the worst clients. I can only imagine the yarns that must be exchanged at professional hunter association gatherings. Would make for fun reading if someone collected them into a volume or two.
Hi Ontario hunter,

I agree on stories about the really bad ones. Unfortunately I really do not think it is fair to the client who has paid good money for the hunt.

Example what do you do with the one that keeps talking about committing suicide? Fortunately he was using a rental rifle, which stayed in my tent when not in use.

Lon

Hi Ontario hunter,

I agree on stories about the really bad ones. Unfortunately I really do not think it is fair to the client who has paid good money for the hunt.

Example what do you do with the one that keeps talking about committing suicide? Fortunately he was using a rental rifle, which stayed in my tent when not in use.

Lon
Lon, you guys don't have to use names when compiling your stories of dud clients. I suppose it might make you look "bad" for some prospective clients ... but not in the eyes of the clients who you really want. Or for the outfitters who are retired, they're out of the business so time to tell all. :D I admit to doing some stuff over the years that was ... well ... stupid. But I don't hesitate to put those experiences out there for others to learn from. Also helps me appear less superhuman than I really am. There's something to be said about humility. Regrettably, for me it's usually a brief conversation.

Ontaro hunter, I haven’t walked their shoes and some of these people are really damaged goods.

Most are really fun, the drunken attorney was probably one best and worse, you just had to hide his muzzle brake and bottle os scotch. Of course these items materialized by evening. Poor bugged after a few scotch he would have you rolling on the floor in laughter.

Lon

I can assure you if I was able to I would take that last hunt in a heartbeat. Elephant in Zim is 100% my next bucket list hunt. I can guarantee the second I am able to we will be talking!

I would love to go as well but time is not on my side! If it’s available in the future I will definitely go.

On a side note what is your opinion of using a 375 Ruger on Ele? Brain shot only or can a body shot work?

@Tokoloshe Safaris, etc, etc. Lon, if I may call you by first name. That's extremely generous.
I honestly thought an opportunity at Elephant was a $100K hunt.

Yes. @Tokoloshe Safaris, Lon, just omit the outfitters', clients', and PHs' names. PHs do have stories to tell about previous clients. Stories about the unusual (rather odd chap), the PITA first timers comparison challenge, the (nationalities with held) that usually show up as a group, the conscientious hunter comparison challenge, the worst of the worst client of the year award comparison challenge, and many more categories.

Back before the pandemic on my first 2 safaris to Africa the lodge would be host to 4 or 5 "parties" / groups / hunters, which to me as a lone hunter/ client made for a much more "interesting" stay. I would hang around the social area of the lodge with the PHs well after the other clients had retired for the night to get an insight on various things the PHs did.

Things like trade concession hunts; ie. A PH may have permission to hunt a variety of concessions loaded with impala, springbok, blesbok, etc , but no quality warthogs and a client wanting a warthog. Another PH's client has added a second impala but this PH has filled his concessions quotas for impala. They make the necessary arrangements with the concession owners to allow the PHs to exchange.

Phs critique themselves and other PHs. PHs ask for peer assistance when the respective client(s) aren't "measuring up" or "preforming" as expected; ie., spending more time drinking than hunting, and/or the client(s) can't shoot accurately out to a 100 yards, etc..

Perhaps a collaboration of several PHs from several outfitters to write a 3 volume set:

1) The Good, insight on the more humorous stories of PH - Client interactions

2) The Ugly, insight on the worst stories, problem clients PHs have had to deal with

3) The Bad, insight on misadventures:

Successful:

Weather, vegetation, clients physical / health condition(s), terrain, client shoots with multiple misses at same animal before making the kill shot. Regardless the client is successful in getting their animals.

Not So Successful:

Started out normal, then: flat tire on bakkie, client brought wrong ammo, client didn't chamber a cartridge, etc. client kills hunted species, not the specific animal the PH had planned. PH must resort to backing up the client on PG, etc., but client succeeds in getting all of their animals.

Drastic Outcome:

Client is an extremely poor shot. Client fails to listen to PH. Client shoots through one animal and killing a second. Client shoots wrong sex animal, or correct species not intended animal; ie. Shot the male on the left, target animal was on the right. Shoots female or male target animal was male or female of hunted species, etc. Client refuses or limits the PH's effort(s) to follow up on a wounded animal to hunt a second same species animal. Client(s) that prefer to "Party Hearty" rather than hunt or minimize their hunting time with the end result of not getting all of their animals.

As clients this type of book collection of PH tales would, or should, give us a better perspective on how we conduct ourselves as guest and try not to be "one of those" type client.

Last edited:
I would jump on this, but unfortunately my year is booked.

I wish I could, I’ve thought about taking a loan out of my 401K. :(

Can anyone run by me what "All Inclusive" typically means or includes.

Many thanks!

It has been brought to our attention by our last three hunters that due to our low prices that we must be running a scam which they found to not be true.I could really use the extra dollars, so if raising prices will lesson your worries we can easily do so.

We use no agents, but we have had a couple slip in as if they were the hunter. One Russian who paid twice our posted price. When we informed him what had happened he kicked the agent out did the same ele hunt over again and added leopard which he took.

Food for thought.

Lon

full
Hi I have a really good set of tusks ,what is the chance of finding a big old bull with broken tusks as i'm not bothered about another trophy to bring home . a memorable hunt is all i require

Many thanks!
Usually includes PH daily fee, trophy fee, license, transport to and from airport, lodging, meals, drinks (may or may not include hard liquor). Typically does not include rifle rental, taxidermy, and air fare.

Edit: And of course tips are not included.

Last edited:
Usually includes PH daily fee, trophy fee, license, transport to and from airport, lodging, meals, drinks (may or may not include hard liquor). Typically does not include rifle rental, taxidermy, and air fare.
Thank you, very much! simply even "lodging", I was curious. That's pretty good ..

I was in Limpopo in March and if I

Food for thought.

Lon

full
I was in Limpopo in March and if I could get away I would. Some folks equate value with dollars. There are so many factors at play on safari. Thanks for having hunts that are within reach. Sure appreciate it.

@Tokoloshe Safaris, etc, etc. Lon, if I may call you by first name. That's extremely generous.
I honestly thought an opportunity at Elephant was a $100K hunt.
Hi Dan, $100,000.00???

You can call me Lon,

Our price and has been $15,000.00 alll inclusive pick up return vic falls. 100% hunter success.

We hunt from either camp or lodge, depending on where the elephant are. Right now they are at both.

I only know a few past clients by both name & handle but we can provide recent hunters contact details .Our heading is the name of our company.

I really do not know how much a first timers trip to RSA costs but I do see where some members are making 3 or more trips to RSA. Those same people will say they could never afford $15,000.00 for elephant?

Best of hunting

@Daniel Cary, one of our members @Rare Breed had a wonderful report/hunt, and he took advantage of this excellent deal.

Food for thought.

Lon

full
Lon & Liesl, I am so excited for this upcoming adventure with you and I certainly am super grateful that y’all are providing such an incredible hunt at an affordable price! I admittedly was a little skeptical when I first read the advertisement as I have been pricing other Zimbabwe and Botswana elephant hunts extensively and found only a couple close in price but mostly all quite a bit more expensive. But after speaking to you and Liesl and a couple of your past clients I knew you were genuine, experienced professionals who pride themselves on providing a great hunt and experience. I already respect that about y’all immensely and cannot wait until we’re putting in the work together on what is a bucket list adventure for me!

Many thanks!
Hi again Dan,
Our all inclusive means from the time you arrive no other charges. Excludes tip and personal purchases.

It seems like i need to find another word for all inclusive.

Lon

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DominiqueM

Latest profile posts

NYAMAZANA SAFARIS wrote on majorsafari's profile.
Trail cam image is of a cat we never took .. it’s not a great image but I can assure you it’s a very big cat . Other photo is of my client with his cat this year .
thokau wrote on Just a dude in BC's profile.
Hallo, ein Freund von mir lebt auf einer Farm in den Rocky Mountains.
Leider kam es dort in den letzten Wochen zu Bränden.
Hoffe es geht dir gut!?