One gun or two? On safari

I’m thinking about just taking the 375 for everything ( buff , eland, kudos , waterbuck , nyala)
then someone mentioned maybe I should take the .308 also for the smaller stuff just in case
I don’t think there’s a just in case? ( wife definitely doesn’t want to hunt for anything, buddies wife might?)
Get some Swift A frames for the buff though.

This is my one gun solution for our next safari. 375H&H for me & 300WM for her. I have yet to cut the foam and she hasn't completely decided on what she wants to hunt, but we will each have one rifle. All fitting neatly into a Pelican 1700 thanks to the Blaser R8 takedown design. The only adjustment I might make is trading out a Leatherman for the screwdriver.
1714807661581.png

You can certainly get by with a 375 especially for buffalo...but two guns are nice such as an 30-06 or 7x57..For Tanzania I always like a 338 and a 416 as one never knows whats it the high grass;;;

You can certainly get by with a 375 especially for buffalo...but two guns are nice such as an 30-06 or 7x57..For Tanzania I always like a 338 and a 416 as one never knows whats it the high grass;;;
Yea, I decided to take a 416 as well as the 375as I am hunting elephant, buffalo and lion

I did this once on a plains game hunt - took the .30-06 and the .375 H&H. Both were set up the same way - same action type, safety, and trigger weights. Both were stocked the same and used the same glass in the same ring sets. I loaded A-Frames for both rifles so that the POA/POI were equal.

The idea was I'd swap rifles each morning (pretty hard to screw up grabbing the wrong ammo) and see what the day would bring. It was only well into the trip that it dawned on me that the .30-06 was taking the bigger animals and the .375 H&H was taking the small ones. Luck of the draw.

These days I tend to just bring the 9.3mm Mauser for everything.

For the critters on your list, I would likely stick with the .375, only one gun in your case equals more padding for said gun and less weight. Same with ammo, the less ya have to pack and less weight.

Best to ya on your trip.

.375 Holland & Holland will do just fine for everything with the 300Gr bullets. Make sure to zero in your rifle for it's maximum point blank range. Telescopic sight should have quick detachable mounts and not too high magnification.

That said, for aspiring first time hunters who are going on Safari to Africa and are persistent in bringing two rifles...

I always recommend a pair of Winchester Model 70s- One in .375 Holland & Holland Magnum (or .416 Remington Magnum if elephant happens to be on your menu) and one in .30-06 Springfield (or .300 Winchester Magnum, if you prefer taking shots at plains game out to longer ranges). The .308 Winchester is perfectly adequate too and can do almost everything that the .30-06 Springfield can.
That’s the battery that I always take and you can’t go wrong with it. Excellent advice Sir.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JerriDwigh

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

SRS 2024 wrote on kesha's profile.
Hi there
Please contact us on sharisaf@yahoo.com

We have buffalo available at very good prices.

Kind regards
SRS
SRS 2024 wrote on crossone's profile.
Hi there

Shangani River Safaris can offer you a Buffalo hunt.

Please email us on sharisaf@yahoo.com.
Thank you.
matt2H wrote on matt vejar's profile.
Hey there Matt - i would love to understand some more about your bringing trophies home from South Africa in your checked luggage. My PH is holding onto a bushbuck euro and flatskin for me - and i am due back in South Africa in just over a week. He does have the export permit provided by the taxidermist for me. When you have a moment - could we go through the EDC Form and App? Looking forward to hearing from you.
Smo1127 wrote on duckfish's profile.
Neen doing Zelle or Venmo with other members, let me know if good for you and Ill give you my info. Im semding other orders out tomorrow so if paid today ill ship tomorrow
cwpayton wrote on Trogon's profile.
Hey trogon thanks for the shipping trophys info, so this being my first time shipping ,did you hire a firm here in the states to handle the import or was that an African firm, I would be happy with a cost around 3000+.