One gun or two? On safari

I'd be using a .223 in that circumstance.
I did consider getting a 223 for the hunt, but the outfitter/PH said a 223 tore the animals up too much. He wasn't all that thrilled when I mentioned bringing my 22 Hornet for these animals either, saying the Hornet's higher velocity also destroyed the smaller cats.

I'll find out when I test the Hornet on squirrels during our upcoming spring squirrel season.

According to the outfitter/PH I contracted with for the night critters he purposed I use their loaner 22 mag to shoot everything. Everything being cevet cat, genet cat, caracal, porcupine, honey badger, and bushpig; and possibly a hyena and jackal. The hunts will be conducted from blinds around 100 yards from and around pre-established bait areas.

Personally, although the 22 mag can be effective, I'm not in favor of using a 22 mag when I have a 22 Hornet or 32-20, 38-55, 30-06 or 458WM (with select loads) for bushpig, hyena and jackal.
Genet are small.
22 Hornet is great.

I would not be shooting honey badger, hyena or bushpig with either just use your normal rifle for those 3.....

I did consider getting a 223 for the hunt, but the outfitter/PH said a 223 tore the animals up too much. He wasn't all that thrilled when I mentioned bringing my 22 Hornet for these animals either, saying the Hornet's higher velocity also destroyed the smaller cats.

I'll find out when I test the Hornet on squirrels during our upcoming spring squirrel season.
Agreed.....genet being the one I would not shoot with the hornet

The right answer to the question is "three"!!!

HWL

Genet are small.
22 Hornet is great.

I would not be shooting honey badger, hyena or bushpig with either just use your normal rifle for those 3.....

My intentions on those 3 is to drop them with the 340 WBY, 30-06, 32-20, or 38-55. I'm still trying to decide which of the 3 calibers to take since the only large PG on my list is nyala.

The 458WM loaded to 45-70 on steroids/maxum/ magnum/ ultra mag/ whatever one wants to call the load. Should do the job out to 250 to 300 yards. I'll be better able to decide once I've completed all my testing of the 458WM using the lighter and shorter 45-70 bullets.

I still need to do some tinker on the 340 WBY before its ready for the field.

Last edited:
I would take the 30-6 and the Hornet you speak of.....use the camp 22 mag for genet....

I always bring the correct rifle for the given hunt. Whatever that rifle is, 22 Mag, 318WR, 7x57, 6.5x55, 30-06, 500 Nitro, 470NE, 458WM...regardless of any of that, I always, always have a 375HH backup plan.

Guns break. Anytime I share a camp there is always some sort of drama. The other guy lost his magazine. The spring follower was overcompressed by topping off a +1 in the magazine and leaving it that way for 2 days, the optics were left on the rifles during air travel and now they're f'd, the type of solid they picked won't feed from their magazine, the safety broke in the bush, the claw extractor got damaged by stuffing one down the pipe and driving it home. Whatever it is that could happen, that's always what happens.

Don't be a statistic, bring a spare 375HH.

My intentions on those 3 is to drop them with the 340 WBY, 30-06, 32-20, or 38-55. I'm still trying to decide which of the 3 calibers to take since the only large PG on my list is nyala.

The 458WM loaded to 45-70 on steroids/maxum/ magnum/ ultra mag/ whatever one wants to call the load. Should do the job out to 250 to 300 yards. I'll be better able to decide once I've completed all my testing of the 458WM using the lighter and shorter 45-70 bullets.

I still need to do some tinker on the 340 WBY before its ready for the field.
Trust me forget the 458WM and 340 Mannaby idea.....Nyala biggest animal......take the 30-06 and your Hornet.....sorted......guns dont just pack up......

Dg I would take 2 one of which should always be a 375 H&H.....

You might want to try one of the SOCOM bullets... I will be testing the 300 NBT prior to the spring bear season and then seeing how the do on bears. The 300 NBT in the .458 WM should easily be a 250 yard load, with good performance at that impact velocity... testing will tell the tale.

Ish...
Screenshot_20240324_134946_Samsung Internet.jpg

II believe that a 375 dies it all. i always likes a M70 Safarigrade in 416 Rem Mag and M700 300 win mag. Just feels right.

What’s the best factory round for a plainsgame hunt with a .375 eland down to springbuck

You might want to try one of the SOCOM bullets... I will be testing the 300 NBT prior to the spring bear season and then seeing how the do on bears. The 300 NBT in the .458 WM should easily be a 250 yard load, with good performance at that impact velocity... testing will tell the tale.

458 for Nyala...as the biggest animal??? Reality check is in order.....
Lose your ammo 30-06 is available in any gunshop in RSA......

Hhmmm.....I'm thinking of taking 2 maybe 3 guns with me in 2025. For sure my 458WM for buff and as sort of a comparison test. The second will be my 30-06 or 340 Weatherby for the bigger PG I plan to hunt. And the third will most likely be 22 Hornet or maybe a 22 mag for the smaller cats, porcupine, and jackal.

Then again I'm planning a 35 day trip, 4 different outfitters, 19 animals of all different sizes.
You are an experienced hunter......
I dont like the 458 wm.......
For such an extended hunt 3 may well work.....
If it has to be the 458 wm then 458 30-06 22 hornet.....
If it was me 375H&H and 22 Hornet for species mentioned.....
458 wm is over rated and 375 H&H is always under rated......
Get proper proper loads 300gr A frames you are sorted.....

458 for Nyala...as the biggest animal??? Reality check is in order.....
Lose your ammo 30-06 is available in any gunshop in RSA......
You don't read well... he was talking about possibly bringing a .458 WM as a sole gun... I am suggesting a ballistic option for that to be possible, if not reasonable. I was not recommending bringing the .458 WM for light PG. Having said that, large, slow moving bullets do remarkably little damage, even on light game. It is more reasonable to use the .458 than the .340 Wby with light & fast bullets, with regard to damage, not trajectory.

You don't read well... he was talking about possibly bringing a .458 WM as a sole gun... I am suggesting a ballistic option for that to be possible, if not reasonable. I was not recommending bringing the .458 WM for light PG.
Bad idea either way.....

Yet you are suggesting ???
Not suggesting anything. There are many ways to skin a cat. Some like light/fast rigs and some like heavy/slow rigs... they both work... Light/fast helps with trajectory and distance, but can be extremely messy, even with premium bonded bullets... Heavy/slow, is challenging as the distance increases, but there is something about the momentum of a heavy projectile that is very effective on heavy game. Light for Light and Heavy for Heavy, is a generally good rule of thumb... but sometimes the opposite can yield the desired result. I know how I would do it, but can appreciate someone else's take on it too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SharonCook

Latest profile posts

idjeffp wrote on Jon R15's profile.
Hi Jon,
I saw your post for the .500 NE cases. Are these all brass or are they nickel plated? Hard for me to tell... sorry.
Thanks,
Jeff [redacted]
Boise, ID
[redacted]
African Scenic Safaris is a Sustainable Tour Operator based in Moshi, Tanzania. Established in 2009 as a family business, the company is owned and operated entirely by locals who share the same passion for showing people the amazing country of Tanzania and providing a fantastic personalized service.
FDP wrote on dailordasailor's profile.
1200 for the 375 barrel and accessories?