One caliber away from contentment... who else?

Honestly, the only other caliber I really want is a 7x57. Plenty of them around, but in LH, they're as rare as hen's teeth.

22LR
22WM
5.56 NATO
6.5x55
280 AI
308 Win
9.3x62
404 Jeffery
45-70

I kinda sorta want a 454 Casull.

I like what CBH Australia has in his battery - a couple of his favs in the .260 Rem or 7mm-08 would both be worthy of consideration for your contentment rifle, as they will do everything the .243 will and then some. They would still be good choices for your wife and kids and you would have lots of options with brass. Good luck in your pursuit of that "last one"!

Further to my post above; projects to be finished: 17Fb in a Ruger No1; 20BR fast-twist + 22.250AI switch- barrel in a 700 rem pattern singly shot bolt action; 416 Rigby in a CRF bolt action D/G rifle. Already have 280AI, 308 Win, + 300 WSM, and a mixed pair of 9.3s... 22LR, of course...

243 Win? I think @Bob Nelson 35Whelen will be along shortly to set you straight. ;)

Haha! I'll actually be hunting with Bob this Saturday so let's see if he brings it up!

You know, we all have cartridges we love and hate - and love to hate.
Obviously the .243 is one that Bob hates - but l really like it. I think it does what it's meant to do perfectly.
Imagine if we all had the same rifles in the same cartridge's... how boring forums like this would that be!

I sometimes wonder if Bob hates the .243 as much as l love the .458 Win Mag... :unsure:

Hey everyone...

I have decided that I am only one caliber away from complete contentment... does anyone else feel the same?

I thought I had the complete armoury but looking again l think l'm missing something... :unsure:
Looking in my safe I have everything from rabbits to long-range deer hunting to close-range elephant hunting covered -but I'm missing one caliber that would be perfect FOR ME.
And l believe that caliber is the .243 Winchester. :love:

I have always owned bigger calibers but my absolute favourite hunting spot in the world (@CBH Australia this is where we hunted ) is where l hunt Fallow deer - and not particularly big Fallow at that. There's no Sambar, just Fallow so a bigger caliber isn't required.

Now, having said that I have hunted this spot with the following calibers... .458 Win Mag, 425 Express, 338 Win Mag and my next trip l was going to bring my 308 Norma Mag.
All have done - or will do the job, but all of the above are expensive, kick hard and are big for Fallow... and l think a .243 Would be perfect for this hunting spot.

Why the .243 over other certain calibers?
Well for one l really like the .243.
I also like the idea of walking into a gun shop and have a selection of readily available ammo off the shelf.
I can choose ammo from 55 to over 100gn.
Recoil is mild so my wife and kids can comfortably shoot it.
Pretty flat trajectory - similar to my 308 Norma.
It's effective on Fallow sized game. I've personally seen with my own eyes a mate drop 2 Fallow with one shot using factory Federal blue-box 100gn ammo.
I think it would be a nice step down from my 308 Norma.

As far as rifles go, l think my perfect .243 would be housed in a Winchester M70 with a 22" barrel with a nice trim 3-9x scope on top.
If l couldn't find a Winchester M70 it would have to be something that is nice light and trim.

Now, all the above is just me dreaming as l have NO budget for a new rifle! (n)
BUT!
If l could afford one more rifle it would be a .243 Winchester.
I know it's not everyone's cup of tea and it's not very exotic or exciting, but l already own enough exciting calibers so a .243 it would be (y)

Is anyone else one caliber or rifle away from complete contentment?
If so, would love to hear what it is! And it can be as exotic or rare as you want.
And l bet it's not a .243! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Russ
Well, the 38 calibers I currently have have been trying to make me content, but haven't. Maybe when I build or buy a 7x64, I'll be content, at least for a day or two. If I found the 450NE#2 I want, then I'll be content for at least a few days. Same would go for a 450NE, and a 7x57, and a 22-250, and an '06, oh wait, already have 5 of those. A 416 Rigby would be good too. And a 375 Flanged DR. A 6.5x55 Swede would be a fun one, especially in a Mannlicher FS. I know Cartridges of the World does list some cartridges I'm not interested in, but I can't think of any at the moment; 38 Long, maybe. No, wait, I already have that one. A 25 Short, that's one! I have no interest in the 25 Short!

Well, the 38 calibers I currently have have been trying to make me content, but haven't. Maybe when I build or buy a 7x64, I'll be content, at least for a day or two. If I found the 450NE#2 I want, then I'll be content for at least a few days. Same would go for a 450NE, and a 7x57, and a 22-250, and an '06, oh wait, already have 5 of those. A 416 Rigby would be good too. And a 375 Flanged DR. A 6.5x55 Swede would be a fun one, especially in a Mannlicher FS. I know Cartridges of the World does list some cartridges I'm not interested in, but I can't think of any at the moment; 38 Long, maybe. No, wait, I already have that one. A 25 Short, that's one! I have no interest in the 25 Short!
Well, for the man who owns firearms in most cartridges, how about one or more of Townsend’s @Bob Nelson 35Whelen proprietary wildcat cartridges based on the 7.7 Japanese necked up or down. .25 Samurai, 6.5 RSE (Rising Sun Express) or perhaps Bob’s favorite, the .35 BNE (Banzai Nelson Express)? Customize a couple of Arisaka 99s and you’d be the first in Colorado or anywhere outside of OZ to own one. Would make a fine addition(s) to your collection for hunting everything from pronghorn to elk? LOL

Haha! I'll actually be hunting with Bob this Saturday so let's see if he brings it up!

You know, we all have cartridges we love and hate - and love to hate.
Obviously the .243 is one that Bob hates - but l really like it. I think it does what it's meant to do perfectly.
Imagine if we all had the same rifles in the same cartridge's... how boring forums like this would that be!

I sometimes wonder if Bob hates the .243 as much as l love the .458 Win Mag... :unsure:

I was laughing so hard when I saw who started this thread. I figured you were taking the piss with the meet up with Bob coming on soon. Get him good and riled up for it all! I hear he's going to shoot the the four two five. I can't wait for the report on that.

As a few other posters have mentioned I'm headed the other direction. Less is more. I've owned many calibers and still have plenty but I'm thinning the herd. I will keep a few I like even though I don't have a specific need for them but I'm seriously moving towards 3-4 primary calibers.

I just got my 300 WSM Winchester Model 70 pre 64 completed with a custom exhibition grade walnut stock. I currently have an identical 22-250 and 375 H&H with a custom exhibition grade walnut stock being built. I am still looking to build a 243, 6.5, 338WM, 458WM with the same stock and 14.25 LOP.

So, I am not content. Cannot decide on scope but probable all will be Swarovski Z3 3x10 or 4x12 BRH except the 458WM.

I like beautiful guns.

Last edited:
A .600 Nitro Express. I briefly owned a clamshell action boxlock ejector in this caliber, which was built by Auguste Schuler for Suhler Waffen Export Haus prior to 1912. But I was forced to sell it, because it had bores which were too undersized for using with modern .620 caliber bullets (without swaging).

Someday, I dream of owning either a Heym Jumbo or a James Purdey & Sons sidelock ejector in this caliber.

I would tend to agree with multiple other posters here and lean towards 25-06, 257 Roberts or possibly a 257 WBY. I recently bought a custom heavy barrel 25-06 and am going to work up a load with a light bullet and use it for Varmint hunting. We do not have wood chucks in the North East like we use to and I will not mind burning a little more powder to take a poke at a coyote or crow. At the same time 25-06 make a very nice little deer round as long as you pick your shots.

I have a buncha' rifles. If I am ever tempted to build a 243, I'll pick up my LH Dakota 76 SA in 257 Roberts and re-think the the idea.
Dakota 76 .257.jpg

Or, I I do decide to get a 6mm, it'll be the 6mm Remington.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
yreywretsw

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

EC HUNTING SAFARIS wrote on MarcoPani's profile.
Happy Birthday, from Grahamstown, South Africa.
I hope your day is great!
Cheers
Marius
EC HUNTING SAFARIS wrote on Ilkay Taskin's profile.
Happy Birthday from Grahamstown, South Africa! I hope you have a great day!
Cheers, Marius
idjeffp wrote on Jon R15's profile.
Hi Jon,
I saw your post for the .500 NE cases. Are these all brass or are they nickel plated? Hard for me to tell... sorry.
Thanks,
Jeff [redacted]
Boise, ID
[redacted]