On land hippo solids or softs

Mountaineer

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Hunting reports
Africa
I plan to hunt hippo on land. I’ll be using a 458 win mag double rifle. Should I use 500 grain TBBC or a modern Cutting Edge solid?

No experience but gut tells me solids.

My father shot his with a swift a frame to the brain from a 375 h&h. The hippo died so quick that all four feet came off the ground and for a brief moment he flew. I have this on video.

Last edited:
I’ve shot a number of hippies, though not on land - always brain shots.

Barnes TTSX each time, and no issues. My PH was happy with softs, although it might have been different if I were using something like a cup-and-core bullet.

I think a premium soft is the way to go - deep penetration and no exit.

I’ve basically relegated solids to elephant.

I’ve shot a number of hippies, though not on land - always brain shots.

Barnes TTSX each time, and no issues. My PH was happy with softs, although it might have been different if I were using something like a cup-and-core bullet.

I think a premium soft is the way to go - deep penetration and no exit.

I’ve basically relegated solids to elephant.
Wow man, how many hippies have you shot? Lol!

Three for sure . . . but i have a vague recollection of a fourth!

For body shots on hippos on land a solid. They have very thick hides and there needs to be a lot of penetration to reach the vitals. For shooting one in the head then an expanding bullet works well as not nearly the same amount of penetration is needed.

Ask your PH what he prefers. A brain shot is a brain shot. A hippo body shot will have a good chance of making it to water where it will need a brain shot.

Lon

I have only shot one hippo in my life and that was in the water, with a head shot with the cartridge 500 Schüler and a 535gr FMJ bullet. This cannot be given as a general recommendation for hunting hippos, but is certainly also a good option for shooting one on land.

As a general comment on the subject, since the word Solid has to be pronounced nowadays with care, except when hunting elephants, I don't see why one should not use Premium SP bullets for hunting hippos on land. What is recommended for buffaloes should theoretically also work for the hippos, as the differences in size and weight are not that huge.

Hippo skulls are soft, one of the honorary rangers I knows prefer using his 243 as it is very easy to shoot accurately, and slip one in behind the ear. If its a rogue bull, knows that he is watched and take quick breaths then a very accurate rifle is needed to take a quick shot. They bob up and down fairly fast if they are suspicious!
On land - I go with a solid.

I have to say in passing that I did not find my shooting for hippo per se that exciting, but rather what came after. It was at the end of an elephant hunt where I shot two elephants. Since there was still some time left and the Kariba was not that far, we decided to shoot a hippo and then go fishing. Both could be easily combined as we would have to wait over two hours before the hippo appeared on the surface of the Kariba. Afterwards we spent a few more days on a boat on the Kariba, fishing but above all drinking because of the many friends of my two PH's that we met.

I plan to hunt hippo on land. I’ll be using a 458 win mag double rifle. Should I use 500 grain TBBC or a modern Cutting Edge solid?
I shot another hippo on land for cat bait last year. I used 400g TSX first and then 400g solid. The TSX with its deep penetration is the way to go. I hit him in the neck, for the second shot, running with the solid trying to avoid any chance of hitting the rumen and it just penciled through.
Most advice will be to use solids However.

I have only shot one hippo in my life and that was in the water, with a head shot with the cartridge 500 Schüler and a 535gr FMJ bullet. This cannot be given as a general recommendation for hunting hippos, but is certainly also a good option for shooting one on land.

As a general comment on the subject, since the word Solid has to be pronounced nowadays with care, except when hunting elephants, I don't see why one should not use Premium SP bullets for hunting hippos on land. What is recommended for buffaloes should theoretically also work for the hippos, as the differences in size and weight are not that huge.
A big hippo bull weights more than double what a buffalo bull weights.
But yes true premium heavy for caliber bullets will kill them on land.
In water head shot any premium pg caliber will kill it clean with same premium heavy for caliber expanding bullet.
For charge on land the frontal brainshot is an easy target and again premium expander will easily penetrate to the required depth.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fdjhtyrtrj

Latest profile posts

gunslinger1971 wrote on Gray Fox's profile.
Do you still have the Browning 1895 and do you want to sell it? I'm might be interested. If so please let me know and do you have any pictures?

Steve in Missouri
Gunslinger1971@yahoo.com
Redfishga1 wrote on gearguywb's profile.
I would be interested in the ruger if the other guy is not.
Bartbux wrote on franzfmdavis's profile.
Btw…this was Kuche….had a great time.
Sorry to see your troubles on pricing.

Happy to call you and talk about experience…I’m also a Minnesota guy.