Old vs new scopes

Here is a modern Meopta 1,5-6 and an old B.Nickel 1-4. On a Merkel SLII combi gun 7x65r / 20 gauge.

All that bulky "tactical" look makes me sell the Meopta. It also has a huge "black ring" compared to Nickel which has hardly any "ring" in vision. And Meopta had problems tracking clicks when new. POI adjustment changes only after shooting a few rounds. Meopta picture is very good to my eye.

IMG-20230824-200426-257-4.jpg
@petander
Not tracking properly or holding zero is very unusual for a meopta. Both mine trak beautifully and hold zero. Once set they have both held zero for years and 100s of shots. I even dropped my rifle and it held zero.
I would send it back and ask for a new one.
The old Gold standard for a DG scope was the old weaver K2 steel tube or the fixed 3 power Leupold. Both slim trim attractive scopes. Both still command premium prices in Australia.
Bob

I completely agree about a scope not having a large black ring! Lack of black ring has always been something I have admired about a Nickel Surpa scope.
Here is a modern Meopta 1,5-6 and an old B.Nickel 1-4. On a Merkel SLII combi gun 7x65r / 20 gauge.

All that bulky "tactical" look makes me sell the Meopta. It also has a huge "black ring" compared to Nickel which has hardly any "ring" in vision. And Meopta had problems tracking clicks when new. POI adjustment changes only after shooting a few rounds. Meopta picture is very good to my eye.

I agree- a marginal improvement in glass and coating has improved things - only meaurable with expensive equipment. What has changed hugely is cheaper optics have closed the gap and you get a decent scope on the cheap end- much closer to the top end scopes than in times gone by. Vortex, riton,hawke do very useable scopes i think consistent clicks and holding zero are more important than glass anyway. If your shots wander randomly, the glass is irrelevant. Those older scopes probably just need a good clean. Sadly labour costs probably rule out making new internals but maybe someone like riton could make a retro scope- old school look and modern internals.
Light gathering that is predicated on modern glass to some extent, and modern coatings to a huge extent is what is lacking. That, and vintage optics are usually filthy and need a nitrogen purge and new gaskets.

I'm actually surprised someone hasn't come up with a cottage industry of gutting all the internals from high grade vintage glass so you can enjoy an "original" gun with the trappings of good optics inside the tube

I don't think the K-4 Weaver is junk, in its day it was a top of the line scope, but that day has long pasted. For the money you spent on that used K-4 and the needed repairs or recital replacement you could buy a
new 3 x 9 Leupold that comes with a lifetime warranty. The K-4 is a good hunting scope and its a lot better than iron sites but other than nostalgia there is no good reason to use one today.
How are the new freedom line of leupold rimfire line vs vortex daimondback rimfire.

I have a box full of pre 1970 scopes for a reason and it’s not because they don’t hold zero or track true. There is nothing wrong with, ‘good enough’ or ‘esthetically pleasing‘. There is also nothing wrong with wanting to use the newer technology and advancements.

To each their own. I guess I need to sell my box of old scopes.

I have a box full of pre 1970 scopes for a reason and it’s not because they don’t hold zero or track true. There is nothing wrong with, ‘good enough’ or ‘esthetically pleasing‘. There is also nothing wrong with wanting to use the newer technology and advancements.

To each their own. I guess I need to sell my box of old scopes.

Don't sell them if they make you happy be happy.

My Swarovski is my only Swarovski is an old one but it suits the rifle.

I've sold off a lot as I've outgrown it or updated but it's so I can update. Each to their own but I'm coming to terms with what I want and need is not valued by my kids so I'm keeping both what I want and need but happy to clear out/sell anything I'm not attached to because I have plenty of tools etc to clutter my shed and I may as well get my stuff in order but that's me we all do it differently.

How are the new freedom line of leupold rimfire line vs vortex daimondback rimfire.
I had a Vortex Diamondback rimfire 2-7 and found the eye box too finicky for my taste so I sold it. I now have a VX-Freedom rimfire 2-7 for my 10/22 and it's much easier to get a nice site picture. Not just for me but my wife (much smaller than me) uses it as well. Yes, a 22 plinker isn't as demanding for precise fit but I think this is a good indicator that the eye box is generous on the Freedom.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PeteSchnel

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

idjeffp wrote on Jon R15's profile.
Hi Jon,
I saw your post for the .500 NE cases. Are these all brass or are they nickel plated? Hard for me to tell... sorry.
Thanks,
Jeff [redacted]
Boise, ID
[redacted]
African Scenic Safaris is a Sustainable Tour Operator based in Moshi, Tanzania. Established in 2009 as a family business, the company is owned and operated entirely by locals who share the same passion for showing people the amazing country of Tanzania and providing a fantastic personalized service.
FDP wrote on dailordasailor's profile.
1200 for the 375 barrel and accessories?