Regards
Rob

Safariland Ad 1961.jpg
White Hunters Africa Ltd Ad 1959.png
Selby & Homberg Safari Ad 1959.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Amazing time in history for Africa!

Cool, thanks for sharing!

I thought the Selby advertisement very interesting. Didn’t know he had a partner!

I thought the Selby advertisement very interesting. Didn’t know he had a partner!

G'day CAustin,

I am curious about that too, maybe it is not the Selby that we know of ?

Maybe I had better find my copy of Brian Herne's 'White Hunters' book, it's a great reference tool:)

Regards
Rob

G'day CAustin,

I am curious about that too, maybe it is not the Selby that we know of ?

Maybe I had better find my copy of Brian Herne's 'White Hunters' book, it's a great reference tool:)

Regards
Rob
It is him - before he and many others headed south for Botswana with Kenya's closure of hunting. Some great old names in the first one.

I posted this on another thread, but this is an early post-WWI travel poster for India printed in the UK. Note you could arrange your own private coach on the train.

india.jpg

It is him - before he and many others headed south for Botswana with Kenya's closure of hunting. Some great old names in the first one.

I posted this on another thread, but this is an early post-WWI travel poster for India printed in the UK. Note you could arrange your own private coach on the train.

View attachment 349610

Thank you for the confirmation Red leg, and Woww, what a great framed print, I have never seen that one, and thank you for sharing.(y):)

Regards

Rob

From what I've read, Selby went to work for Ker & Downey Safaris in Nairobi, which later became Ker, Downey and Selby.

Selby & Holmberg is Harry Selby & Andrew Holmberg..both can be seen in this 1953 movie guiding Robert Ruark in Kenya.. Holmberg guided Ruark to a 110 pounder.. !

From what I've read, Selby went to work for Ker & Downey Safaris in Nairobi, which later became Ker, Downey and Selby.
See his obit - https://www.nytimes.com/2018/01/20/obituaries/harry-selby-dead.html

Mr. Selby attended local schools, traveling by ox cart, and later the Prince of Wales, a boarding school in Nairobi. After World War II, he worked for Mr. Percival, who recognized his potential as a hunter-guide, and in 1949 he joined East Africa’s foremost safari outfitter, Ker & Downey, based in Nairobi. In 1956, after Mr. Ruark’s book had made him famous, he formed his own safari company, Selby & Holmberg.

See his obit - https://www.nytimes.com/2018/01/20/obituaries/harry-selby-dead.html

Mr. Selby attended local schools, traveling by ox cart, and later the Prince of Wales, a boarding school in Nairobi. After World War II, he worked for Mr. Percival, who recognized his potential as a hunter-guide, and in 1949 he joined East Africa’s foremost safari outfitter, Ker & Downey, based in Nairobi. In 1956, after Mr. Ruark’s book had made him famous, he formed his own safari company, Selby & Holmberg.

Thank you for sharing this.

I have many of these old marketing brochures.
(I plan an article about this also.)

38623432pn.jpg

Attachments

• 38623432pn.jpg
    38623432pn.jpg
    163 KB · Views: 97
38623436gn.jpg

Attachments

• 38623436gn.jpg
    38623436gn.jpg
    204.2 KB · Views: 106
DEC00AE1-F791-4EC3-BA7F-2A0FFB4C3B0E.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ShirleyLaw

Latest profile posts

NYAMAZANA SAFARIS wrote on majorsafari's profile.
Trail cam image is of a cat we never took .. it’s not a great image but I can assure you it’s a very big cat . Other photo is of my client with his cat this year .

IMG_3426.jpeg
IMG_2910.jpeg
thokau wrote on Just a dude in BC's profile.
Hallo, ein Freund von mir lebt auf einer Farm in den Rocky Mountains.
Leider kam es dort in den letzten Wochen zu Bränden.
Hoffe es geht dir gut!?