Old Boar

I will also say that I am starting to believe that TSXs, Hydros and big Woodleigh solids are not the best thing for boars, they carry them too well because they zip through. Sure, they do go down, but there are a few seconds where you think you missed. It’s like killing them with an arrow. For best “bang-flops!” on boars, standard softs are better, and a .30-30 or .308 or .275 Rigby is better than a .458WM or a .500NE or a .500J. However, the .416 Rigby with Woodleigh 410 grain softs was emphatic. Imparting energy to boars seems to work well.

However, in boar country you make do with big bad solids and monos often enough to be on the safe side.
 
I will also say that I am starting to believe that TSXs, Hydros and big Woodleigh solids are not the best thing for boars, they carry them too well because they zip through. Sure, they do go down, but there are a few seconds where you think you missed. It’s like killing them with an arrow. For best “bang-flops!” on boars, standard softs are better, and a .30-30 or .308 or .275 Rigby is better than a .458WM or a .500NE or a .500J. However, the .416 Rigby with Woodleigh 410 grain softs was emphatic. Imparting energy to boars seems to work well.

However, in boar country you make do with big bad solids and monos often enough to be on the safe side.
No experience with pigs or woodleighs but I agree when it comes to the tsx. For a period I used nothing else, on fallow or even some reds out of a magnum 30 cal you really need to hit heavy bone otherwise they zip straight through. I do think TTSX are better for these smaller game.

Never seen a wild pig but I hear some of those big boars get pretty thick fighting pads. Spoken to blokes that have lost them using 223 and similar trying to shoot big boars through the shoulder especially when caked in mud.
 
Congrats, just love shooting pigs !
 
Cheers, Paul! Learn something new everyday! Makes sense, as he appeared almost completely blind. The burn was indeed pretty fresh, from last weekend.

Ben, get one of your oldest T.O's to teach you how to burn properly.

Early season mosaic pattern "cold" burns are best for pasture management, feed for animals, clearing old, dead growth and attracting animals.

Depending on your dew season you can burn for months when the timing and wind is right. Hot and cold burns are an art well worth your learning and benefit the animals and can change the ground-cover and landscape
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Forum statistics

Threads
70,245
Messages
1,569,424
Members
168,701
Latest member
EvieBeaman
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

rdog wrote on Bob Nelson 35Whelen's profile.
Bob i was at Rebel gun works last Friday they had once fired 25/20 brass in their up stairs section , how are the knees going?
hunted So Africa 4 times and more to come
 
Top