Oh, Evil Day

Hunter-Habib

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunted
Zambia , Namibia , Kenya , Mozambique , Zimbabwe
I recently learnt that the American double rifle maker, Mr. Butch Searcy has officially retired from his operations.

I know that some of our fellow forum members here have had less than pleasant experiences with Mr. Searcy’s rifles and business practices (the existence of multiple independent accounts from different forum members dispenses with any notion that all of the claims are untrue).

Nevertheless, the man must be respected for what he is/was. As well as what he has accomplished. A Vietnam war veteran who made his base of operations in California, Mr. Searcy was the first (and until very recently ONLY) American gun maker to build big bore double rifles… until recent years where Mr. Bailey Bradshaw is slowly gaining prominence due to his well made wares in bore sizes up to .500 Nitro Express.

Mr. Searcy was notable for building several of his double rifles using the Rigby Bissel Rising Bite locking mechanism (starting from 2010 which was exactly 100 years after John Rigby & Co. ceased building double rifles and shotguns on their proprietary Rising Bite action in 1910). In 2015, the new owners at John Rigby & Co. decided to restart the building of their double rifles on Rising Bite actions (they would begin to build side by side shotguns on Rising Bite actions starting in 2019).

I’ve personally met & spoken to Mr. Searcy quite a few times over the years and I’ve personally always found him to be a true gentleman; a master of his craft. I’ve personally found his wares to be nothing short of magnificent.

Below, is a .600 Nitro Express boxlock ejector which Mr. Searcy built for a friend of mine. One of the last ones ever built. This beautiful double rifle uses a CNC machined boxlock action which outwardly looks quite similar to the famed British Webley & Scott PHV-1 action (last manufactured in Birmingham in 1939). Regulated for 900Gr Cutting Edge Bullets monolithic brass Safari Solids at 2000FPS, this regal looking rifle is a true beast of a tool (in every positive way). It was used in Botswana by the owner to down a large elephant bull at 23 yards with a frontal brain shot. The rifle weighs a solid 15 LB, so roughly a pound heaver (and a little bulkier) than a James Purdey & Sons sidelock ejector in the same caliber. But stock fit and good balance make the rifle an absolute pleasure to shoot. Hopefully, the rifle may end up being mine someday (my friend recently realized that telescopic sighted magazine rifles are his preferred ticket for African dangerous game hunting).

If you own(ed) a Butch Searcy double rifle and/or used one in the past… please share your experiences below. Good or bad, they will be most welcome here.

IMG_1893.jpeg
IMG_1893.jpeg
IMG_1890.jpeg
IMG_1890.jpeg
IMG_1891.jpeg
IMG_1892.jpeg
IMG_1892.jpeg
IMG_1891.jpeg

Last edited:
They are the best for taking dinosaurs...

A SPAS-12 is woefully inadequate.

Last edited:
They are the best for taking dinosaurs...

A SPAS-12 is woefully inadequate.
Beat me to it! That movie is how I found out about Butch S.

I recently learnt that the American double rifle maker, Mr. Butch Searcy has officially retired from his operations.

I know that some of our fellow forum members here have had less than pleasant experiences with Mr. Searcy’s rifles and business practices (the existence of multiple independent accounts from different forum members dispenses with any notion that all of the claims are untrue).

Nevertheless, the man must be respected for what he is/was. As well as what he has accomplished. A Vietnam war veteran who made his base of operations in California, Mr. Searcy was the first (and until very recently ONLY) American gun maker to build big bore double rifles… until recent years where Mr. Bailey Bradshaw is slowly gaining prominence due to his well made wares in bore sizes up to .500 Nitro Express.

Mr. Searcy was notable for building several of his double rifles using the Rigby Bissel Rising Bite locking mechanism (starting from 2010 which was exactly 100 years after John Rigby & Co. ceased building double rifles and shotguns on their proprietary Rising Bite action in 1910). In 2015, the new owners at John Rigby & Co. decided to restart the building of their double rifles on Rising Bite actions (they would begin to build side by side shotguns on Rising Bite actions starting in 2019).

I’ve personally met & spoken to Mr. Searcy quite a few times over the years and I’ve personally always found him to be a true gentleman; a master of his craft. I’ve personally found his wares to be nothing short of magnificent.

Below, is a .600 Nitro Express boxlock ejector which Mr. Searcy built for a friend of mine. One of the last ones ever built. This beautiful double rifle uses a CNC machined boxlock action which outwardly looks quite similar to the famed British Webley & Scott PHV-1 action (last manufactured in Birmingham in 1939). Regulated for 900Gr Cutting Edge Bullets monolithic brass Safari Solids at 2000FPS, this regal looking rifle is a true beast of a tool (in every positive way). It was used in Botswana by the owner to down a large elephant bull at 23 yards with a frontal brain shot. The rifle weighs a solid 15 LB, so roughly a pound heaver (and a little bulkier) than a James Purdey & Sons sidelock ejector in the same caliber. But stock fit and good balance make the rifle an absolute pleasure to shoot. Hopefully, the rifle may end up being mine someday (my friend recently realized that telescopic sighted magazine rifles are his preferred ticket for African dangerous game hunting).

If you own(ed) a Butch Searcy double rifle and/or used one in the past… please share your experiences below. Good or bad, they will be most welcome here.

View attachment 626728View attachment 626729View attachment 626730View attachment 626731View attachment 626732View attachment 626733View attachment 626734View attachment 626735
Hunter-Habib your experience and depth of knowledge never ceases to amaze me! Please keep sharing with us my friend!

Doug

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MarylouBar

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

buckstix wrote on magnum308's profile.
yes ..please send me a copy ... buckstix@aol.com
NYAMAZANA SAFARIS wrote on majorsafari's profile.
Trail cam image is of a cat we never took .. it’s not a great image but I can assure you it’s a very big cat . Other photo is of my client with his cat this year .

IMG_3426.jpeg
IMG_2910.jpeg
thokau wrote on Just a dude in BC's profile.
Hallo, ein Freund von mir lebt auf einer Farm in den Rocky Mountains.
Leider kam es dort in den letzten Wochen zu Bränden.
Hoffe es geht dir gut!?