Officially a .35 Whelen Acolyte

I alluded earlier to adding another.. well I dont have it yet, but should in a couple weeks time. Got it off of Gunbroker today.
I was unaware until a couple days ago that Ruger made the No. 1 .35 Whelen in other than the 1-A Light Sporter, which I didnt want. Turns out they did!
It was made I guess for a distributor, probably limited in number in the 1-S with medium weight barrel at 24" instead of the lightweight 22", so I was intrigued with that idea. Looked around and found one or two others, but this one while used and has a better pad added that looks professional, seemed like a good fit for me.
I snagged one pic from the listing, dont think seller will mind.
pix319057507.jpg

I alluded earlier to adding another.. well I dont have it yet, but should in a couple weeks time. Got it off of Gunbroker today.
I was unaware until a couple days ago that Ruger made the No. 1 .35 Whelen in other than the 1-A Light Sporter, which I didnt want. Turns out they did!
It was made I guess for a distributor, probably limited in number in the 1-S with medium weight barrel at 24" instead of the lightweight 22", so I was intrigued with that idea. Looked around and found one or two others, but this one while used and has a better pad added that looks professional, seemed like a good fit for me.
I snagged one pic from the listing, dont think seller will mind.
View attachment 408899
@sestoppelman
Very nice mate now you can load it how it was designed and use the full potential.
Bob.

Peter, trust me you are going to enjoy the hell out of your new 35 Whelen. I currently own two of them, although my youngest son now claims the 700 Remington. Both of my sons and I to 35 Whelens to Africa in 22016. The farthest any of my animals ran was 40 yds. most dropped on the spot. Reloading really brings the best out of the Whelen. Like Bob says the 250 and the 225 Gr. bullets are the way to go.

But for reasons unclear, it has never caught on with most traveling hunters.

My best guess is that, a large percentage of hunters visiting Africa seem enamored with the .300 Winchester, especially my fellow North Americans.
We like to go fast, LoL.
Indeed the various .300 magnums, including the Winchester version, loaded with 180 - 200 grain spitzers, are about perfect for extremely long shots at thin skinned game, world wide.
I didn't even know that .35 Whelen was a thing until I read posts from various enthusiasts on this forum.

I think reason for it not catching on is that it is neither fish nor fowl. As you said, those looking for a flat shooting cartridge are looking at various .300s (my favorite is .300 RUM), and those looking for a hammer and a rifle capable of taking even DG are looking at 9.3, .375 and above.

Peter, trust me you are going to enjoy the hell out of your new 35 Whelen. I currently own two of them, although my youngest son now claims the 700 Remington. Both of my sons and I to 35 Whelens to Africa in 22016. The farthest any of my animals ran was 40 yds. most dropped on the spot. Reloading really brings the best out of the Whelen. Like Bob says the 250 and the 225 Gr. bullets are the way to go.
Thanks. Now the trick is finding powder and primers. I’m on the “notify me” list at every place I could find

A family of elk hunters that I have hunted with prefer the 35 caliber. If hunting close quarters they use the 358 Win, in the open they use 358 Norma Mag. i suppose they don't mind a reason to own two rifles, but it seems to me they could cover both near and far with a 35 Whelen.

I didn't even know that .35 Whelen was a thing until I read posts from various enthusiasts on this forum.

I think reason for it not catching on is that it is neither fish nor fowl.
That's hilarious! "Neither fish not fowl." I seem to remember a certain Australian gent making that remark about the .243! @Bob Nelson 35Whelen you wouldn't happen to remember who that was would you? :ROFLMAO:

Here is my new to me and NIB Ruger 77 Hawkeye in .35 Whelen. Thanks to @Warpig602 fir the scope. Got some ammo coming but it will be a few weeks before I can get it to the range

View attachment 408648
What are you planning to hunt with it. It is one of the very best for anything that walks in north America. Other than elephant, rhino and buffalo it will serve you well in Africa as well.

Indeed an interesting caliber. Up until I found the Great @Bob Nelson 35Whelen and his disciples here on AH, it was rare to find such consistent enthusiasm for its capabilities. ... after seeing more support here, I did further investigating and analysis into ballistics and loading options. And at a gun show, I found a lightly used Rem 700 (one of my favorites!) in 35 Whelen at a good price, and joined the ownership club. Now I'm Looking forward to finding out for myself what it can do
@Tbitty
Have you found out what it is capable of yet mate?
Bob

That's hilarious! "Neither fish not fowl." I seem to remember a certain Australian gent making that remark about the .243! @Bob Nelson 35Whelen you wouldn't happen to remember who that was would you? :ROFLMAO:
@Forrest Halley
I seem to remember some big ugly bastard saying that. You will find it impossible to get him to say anything good about that horrible little cartridge. Apart from tomato stakes I can't think of a reason anyone needs one. There are far better little 25s out there that do better, even the little 250 Savage is better than it.
Bob

@Tbitty
Have you found out what it is capable of yet mate?
Bob
Haven't yet had the chance to work up loads. But I did find a couple pounds of CFE223 the other day, so I now have the components on hand. Next is make some loads and hit the range to see what mine likes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KlausZylst

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I am game for a meat and eat. My attempt at humor.
rigby 416 wrote on rifletuner's profile.
Come from cz like that.
John A Flaws wrote on Horbs's profile.
500 schuler magazine.jpg
500 schuler bore.jpg
500 and 425 rifles.jpg
500 and 425 magaizne.jpg
cwpayton wrote on Goat416's profile.
Goat416 welcome to the forum ,youve got some great pics and Im sure trophy's
ghay wrote on professor's profile.
Hello,
Would you consider selling just the Barnes 235's and 250g TTSX's?