Offhand vs. Sticks

I never even thought about sticks prior to hunting Africa for the first time... There were occasions I used a hasty rest, or shot from the prone off of my pack, etc.. but sticks were never part of the equation..

Now, I carry some sort of stick with me on all hunts.. even when blind hunting... typically just a monopod when headed to a blind... but I figure you never know what you might see on the walk to or from the blind.. and there are times I just want to get out and walk a little bit..

the sticks (even a monopod) just give me a faster and more reliable rest than trying to find a quick tree branch or trying to drop to the ground and shoot off the pack, etc..

I learned to use sticks when hunting turkeys. That was a real game changer for me. Sticks are smart and practical.

Was watching “Tracks Across Africa” this morning, this years episodes 2&3 . Interesting to see what Buzz Charlton was packing and how they used them. Just an example you could watch-appreciated Henry Griffiths response with video. Someday I’ll get there to hunt with you sir!

I took to shooting off sticks (tripod) in the standing position very quickly while in Africa. Probably because I use them here at home in a sitting position while calling coyotes.
They are very handy and I also use them to rest my binoculars on while glassing.
I typically don’t carry them in the field while elk hunting but do have them with me while Antelope hunting when it comes time to make a stalk.
They can also be used as a tripod for your spotting scope or camera. I just think they are handy for a lot of scenarios.
I use the Primos Jim Shockey edition extendable tripod.

I have used the Primos Steady Stix for at least 30 years. I think they were called something else before Primos bought them. They are aluminum so they only weigh a few ounces. They are 36” when extended but they are 3 sections held together by a shock cord so they fold up to 12”s. you just unfold them and give them a shake and the shock cord pulls them together. They fit in an inside pocket of my hunting vest when not in use. I started using them for calling coyotes so you could have the rifle up to minimize movement when calling. They worked well so I started using them for all hunts. You have to sit or kneel to use them so they might not work for thorny area where you want to stand. I spot and stalk hunt in grassland areas where there are not a lot of opportunities to go prone and these put me above the height of the grass. The average shot where I hunt mule deer is about 250 yards but I have taken deer out to 400 yards off these sticks. I wouldn’t even try an offhand shot at 250. I practice offhand, but the older I get the less steady I am. I don‘t want to have to try to chase down a wounded animal so I want to be as steady as I can be.
They also work to help hold the deer up to take pictures but the green section of the sticks doesn’t do much for the picture.

1706802398998.jpeg

There is one style of sticks that, for me at least, has not been very helpful but a lot of guys love them. The trigger stick style has too many moving parts and I have broken 3 of them with regular use (not abuse). I have found that the simple stick designs are what I like the best.

Using sticks and the different methods could fill up a whole chapter in a book. It's a fascinating subject and truly does set the experienced vs novice shooter apart in Africa. Nobody wants to look like an amateur so do yourself a favor and get some sticks to practice with before you go.

I tried a trigger stick monopod… same problem… it got through 1 season and broke… now I just carry a cheap Allen monopod with me everywhere… I think it cost me $18… simple, easy to use, lightweight, etc…

One stick is better than nothing. 2sticks are better than one . 3 sticks are better than 2. Quad sticks are MUCH better than all of them. IMHO . quads add stability and accurate range

I use a bi-pod because it makes me a better shot. I did shoot an antelope off hand this year at about 75 yards. But the majority of shots I take out here are between 100-300 yards some closer and some farther so the bi-pod let's me bring home more meat.

I have used all iterations of sticks for shooting literally hundreds of deer over the last 30 years and I would make the following comments. One stick is quite difficult to use unless you can brace on something else like a tree so it’s main use is as a walking stick rather than an aid to shooting. Two and three legged sticks essentially offer the same level of stability as each other because only the fore end of the rifle is supported. For the deer I shoot this will get me out to 100m or perhaps 150m but no further. Quad sticks have been a revelation to me for the last 15 years as the increase in stability beyond the twin/triple sticks is huge because the front and rear of the rifle is supported. If I need to check zero off quad sticks I can consistently hold inch groups at 100m and in the field I can head shoot to 150m and chest shoot to 300m off the sticks. I have played around with the 5 legged sticks but find them much more fiddly to deploy than the 4 legged versions. I sometimes use them when fox shooting. The following video shows a Chinese Water Deer being shot off quad sticks using a trigger cam and shows the level of stability that is achieved with the 5 legged setup
As with everything the trick is to practice with your sticks until you are familiar.

Edit to add the second video

Last edited:
I bought a set of Rudolph shooting sticks, and practiced with them in preparation for my trip. I took the shooting ticks with me, and they came in super handy. My PH loved them so much that he asked me for the, and I gladly gave it to him. Several members here have used them, and like them as well.

1706809338724.png

BTW, they collapse, and I was able to put them in my gun case. Very handy and lightweight.

The only drawbacks I have found to shooting off sticks is 1) they tend to make me overconfident and 2) overthink the shot. I find my concentration seems better shooting quickly without sticks ... because unconsciously I know how much more difficult those shots are to make. I shot this buck offhand at 80 yards on the fly and the bullet hit it exactly where I expected (entrance underneath my rifle).
16 November 2019.JPG

And the following year this coyote running full tilt at 55 yards. Shot through the heart where expected.
20201129_110147.jpg

And last November this buck taken a stone's throw from both above locations. Shot it after quickly dropping to sitting position, 220 yards. He ran ten yards and fell over.
20231121_112922.jpg

Missed this gemsbuck last August on the sticks at 200 yards. Figured I couldn't miss, but I did. I was on the sticks too long and too cold. The next day I surprised him (and me) and shot him on the fly offhand at 60 yards.
20230817_090946.jpg

Over here I'm a solo stalker. I can't be bothered with dragging along a set of sticks. Often I'm in rough country and typically afield all day. I rarely even pack water. But in Africa it's a whole different game. It would be unethical to NOT have someone carrying sticks for me. Maybe at times I MIGHT shoot better off the sticks, but that's my fault. I should be able to shoot better on them in most situations. Just need to work on the mental aspect. Get on a SPOT on the animal quickly and shoot. The longer I'm on the sticks, the greater the probability I'll screw up.

Last edited:
Don't even think you know before you go. Sticks are a simple. portable type of rest used almost universally in Africa. Think of waist high grass and bush that offers no other rest. Don't think you can thread the needle off hand shooting in a wide variety of sometimes unfavorable conditions all under the pressure of big $ and time on the line all with an audience of strangers. I learned to shoot off simple, short, two legged sticks when calling coyotes. I practiced a lot off common three legged sticks while standing before going to Africa. The first DG animal I shot in Africa was a buffalo. I didn't use the sticks on that animal becasue a wet, slimy termite mound offered a perfect rest. Another time I used simple hardwood sticks spread way out while in sitting position to take an oryx one shot cleanly at 260 yards. Another time I used a tree branch about a foot off the ground to shoot a common reedbuck in a thick woodland area. I killed an eland while in prone position shooting a 416 Rem Mag having to precisely place a bullet into an angling forward shot at junction of neck and shoulder while the eland was laying down. I killed a big old dagga boy shooting off the sticks while he was walking angling toward me at about 45 yards then second shot off hand as he flew past me and going away at about 60 yards. I have shot multiple blue wildebeest and impala off the sticks at ranges from 75 yards out to about 175 yards. We busted one kudu out of thick bush at 50 yards and I shot it off hand through the shoulders while it raced at full speed quartering away. Another kudu I shot off the sticks at about 150 yards having to literally skid the bullet along the very tops of extremely thick grass. I shot my biggest kudu off sticks at 90 yards having to thread the needle through a hookthorn bush the kudu was standing in the middle of. Practice walking up to the sticks and shooting off them. Figure out your best height for the sticks and discuss that with your PH and trackers when you get there. Practice shooting one shot off sticks then pulling rifle off sticks to shoot again. It is not rocket science.

You should know how to use sticks efficiently. However I feel that most shooting practice should be offhand. Buy an SKS with a big magazine and several crates of ammo. Then whenever you can : stand on your hind legs and shoot at random distances. If you practice shooting the most difficult way the rest become easier.

There will be differences of opinion on these topics...that's fine of course. Personally, the very last shot I want to take is offhand. Do I practice it? Of course...but my job as a shooter is to get the very best result from what is available, time permitting (that's a BIG factor). So sometimes offhand is all you get (especially on a follow-up) but if possible, I will do anything else first. A second shot on wounded game should be whatever you can get into it...style points don't count!

I even think of this as we are getting close to a shooting solution...I look around and have an awareness of the natural environment...I have said to the PH, let's slide this way or can we get to that spot to shoot? Many times, we can get there. Bottom line is the shot is MY responsibility and I will also tell the PH that I don't like this shot and won't take it. I will say no...too much brush...need better lane, etc. PH might not like it sometimes but they LOVE you taking ownership of the shot. They don't like cleaning up messes. Never send the shot if it's not right for you. Never.

Last edited:
There will be differences of opinion on these topics...that's fine of course. Personally, the very last shot I want to take is offhand. Do I practice it? Of course...but my job as a shooter is to get the very best result from what is available, time permitting (that's a BIG factor). So sometimes offhand is all you get (especially on a follow-up) but if possible, I will do anything else first.

I even think of this as we are getting close to a shooting solution...I look around and have an awareness of the natural environment...I have said to the PH, let's slide this way or can we get to that spot to shoot? Many times, we can get there. Bottom line is the shot is MY responsibility and I will also tell the PH that I don't like this shot and won't take it. I will say no...too much brush...need better lane, etc. PH might not like it sometimes but they LOVE you taking ownership of the shot. They don't like cleaning up messes. Never send the shot if it's not right for you. Never.

Exactly!!! (y) (y) Also, it's your safari, your money, your decision, you can (should) say no if not comfortable with the shot. Know your limits.

Exactly!!! (y) (y) Also, it's your safari, your money, your decision, you can (should) say no if not comfortable with the shot. Know your limits.
This is very true and can't be said better : Know Your limits!
it's your safari, your money, your decision
Yeah, my words all the way!!

I have shot literally 1000's of rounds off hand in cross course service rifle matches but given the choice of off hand or sticks at a stationary (or slow moving) target I'm taking sticks! Any kind of static rest is better than none IMO. It's like anything shooting though, you really need to practice it!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chrisorden

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Hyde Hunter wrote on Ontario Hunter's profile.
which East Cape Taxidermist are you referring to? I had Lauriston do my work not real happy with them. oh thanks for the advise on the mount hangers a few months ago. Jim
jimbo1972 wrote on Bwaybuilder's profile.
Great to do business with
Grz63 wrote on Cecil Hammonds's profile.
Greetings from Clermont -ferrand !!
We 'll visit Livingstone / Vic Falls for 3 days and 2 nights. Back to Mapcha by car, back to WDH with Airlink (grab my rifles and belongings) and the same day back to Frankfurt.
What do you mind from your own experience ? and your wife .? Did she appreciate ?
We already hunted Namibia in 2022, May for PG near Outjo for 8 days. Great country.
Thank you for your advises.
Philippe
Hello Cecil
I am Philippe from Center of France. I plan to hunt Zambezi with Zana Botes in 2026, Oct after a couple of days for PG in Namibia in his lodge. I will be with my wife. She is not really a huntress and we promised to go visit Vic Falls. I imagine to go to Caprivi by car , hunt there 7 days (for buff) and go by car to Vic falls (PH will bring back my rifle) . sorry I am required to write 2 messages