Of all the African game meat, which is your favourite? How would you rank them?

The first African game I tried was ostrich .... I thought it would be like turkey or chicken and was surprised to find it to be like lean beef in texture and color . We tried everything A to Z (Antelope to Zebra ) The only thing I get a strange look on is when I tell people we ate Dik Dik and liked it ?
Good luck and play safe
Glen

My all time favorite was a Kudu Pot Pie that was tha bomb. I loved the biltong and one night we had Impala Schnitzel with jalapeno cheese sauce that was pretty special. Another was Eland Lasagna. We ate tenderloins from my Nayala that were good. In fact it was ALL delicious. I had asked my PH to serve mostly traditional African cuisine and lots of wild game. I can eat beef, chicken or seafood at home. The only items that I did not care much for were some Kudu breakfast sausages. They tasted OK but were just too dry for my taste. Both me and my PH do like those stinky cigars and a small taste of mothers milk at the end of the day.

Final thought. Given the chance, try it. You can always spit it out if not to your liking. Prior to my Safari, I had been told to avoid eating Waterbuck that it was not good, etc, etc. I asked my PH about this in Africa and he was astounded. He claims that Waterbuck could be the best game meat ever. Now, I know that local tastes are not always the same but he said that as long as the scent glands are removed when processing the meat, that it is delicious. I did not get to try it on my trip, so I cannot support his claim. When I got home, I taught myself how to make Biltong and it is as good as any. I used beef and the recipe from my PH's grandmother. Delish!

View attachment 638524
Hey @JG26Irish_2 maybe we could prevail on you to publish a little primer on making biltong, and perhaps share the recipe?

I would love to learn how if I thought I could come anywhere close to the amazing biltong I had in Namibia...... I might not be the only one either.

As a north American hunter that's never tried African game meat, what's it like?

What tastes the best? the worst?

Are they comparable at all to any North American game meat.

I'm a huge fan of bison meat, how does cape Buffalo compare?
Eland and Zebra are my two favorites. Would never eat Waterbok due to people getting their built in insecticide from skin on the meat and the fat. No thanks just me

As a north American hunter that's never tried African game meat, what's it like?

What tastes the best? the worst?

Are they comparable at all to any North American game meat.

I'm a huge fan of bison meat, how does cape Buffalo compare?
Although I've never actually killed one myself, I've eaten more eland than anything else. It was all really well prepared and excellent. Much like beef. Braised oxtails, made out of one of my buffalo was really good. Strangely, although I'm not normally a fan of liver, the cook had a knack. The cape buffalo liver was one of the best things I've ever eaten.

On my first safari a roast was made from s reedbuck that I shot. It was way over cooked, and like any game, over cooked is really dry and tough. That cook did not have the talent. Most game is really good if it is well prepared and not well done!

Most of the African game reminds me of deer meat, really good when cooked properly.

Hey @JG26Irish_2 maybe we could prevail on you to publish a little primer on making biltong, and perhaps share the recipe?

I would love to learn how if I thought I could come anywhere close to the amazing biltong I had in Namibia...... I might not be the only one either.
I will see what I can do for you all. I will make it a new thread so it is not lost in here.

I've eaten lots of African animals that were raised and shot in Texas, but on my first safari in July I got to try some new favorites......

Hippo- Fried hippo strips for an appetizer was amazing, as was the mountain of biltong that was made for us.

Impala - The Impala schnitzel(chicken fried steak) with mushroom gravel was amazing.

Best bush lunch of my life
g8E4rmN.jpg

Clockwise from the top we start with mealie meal, grilled buffalo steak, Elephant kabob & guinea fowl quiche.

Buffalo steak - Great flavor and texture as long as you do not over cook it.

Elephant - First off I will say that I've heard people bash elephant meat and I don't understand the disdain; I found it to have the texture of beef with the flavor of lamb and the fat crisps up like bacon.

Take a pinch of Mealie meal and grab a piece of elephant meat and add a pinch of Braai seasoning and it's amazing.

FYI the elephant meat we ate was taken from the head and cooked slowly over a fire kabob style.
MlcV9Ip.jpg

Biltong recipe that was requested can now be found in a new thread here:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WaldoRathe

Latest profile posts

TAG SAFARI wrote on mvalden's profile.
Wishing you a Happy Birthday!
TAG SAFARI wrote on K31's profile.
TAG SAFARI wrote on davidg8480's profile.
TAG SAFARI wrote on Daven22s's profile.
TAG SAFARI wrote on bobdahunter84's profile.