OEM stocks cracking and or breaking

Thanks!!! i thought that would make a big difference

All my Heavy calibers have double cross bolts. When I had my Jeffery built my GS bedded the stock and also added another recoil lug to the barrel

All of above :) :) Lead sleds will break stocks. Usually good glass bedding with relief around action screws and tang will prevent most cracks. Cracks usually are result of driving of action screws and tang rearward during recoil... a wedging effect. Proper bedding of recoil lug (s) is important as the flattened surface is what takes and distributes the recoil force. Cross bolts also help but should not be the primary mechanical that helps prevent cracking from recoil. I do my own bedding and stock prep and all my heavy recoilers have two recoil lugs, two cross bolts and are glass bedded with pillars. Of course a rugged synthetic stock like an HS Precision won't crack no matter how it's treated, whether shot in a 50+# lead sled or not. :)

Last edited:
Never ever use lead sleds, will certainly ruin a nice wood stock.

I’ve had plenty of 375’s without lugs, there isn’t enough recoil imo on a properly bedded 375 to worry about it. Get to the 40’s maybe, 50’s probably best to have some reinforcement in there. The only guns I’ve heard having consistent splitting and cracking problems are cz’s, and rugers. I’ve used mostly dakotas, and other full custom makers over the years and never worried about it at all. I’m not sure the “lugs” on dakotas are even functional, more decoration than anything. Proper stock design, inletting, pillar bedding possibly and or glass, etc imo eliminates these worries, and also action bolt uniform tension.——-that’s a whole other debate, but if your crunching wood over tightening, you’re going to break something.

question please…i have two sleds for sight in only. the first is a caldwell with a solid butt end…I NEVER USE this due to fear of cracking a stock on my large bores. My second one which i use does not have a solid butt end…just a fork so that while rock steady i feel all the recoil in my shoulder which is fine yet i get the steadiness I need for sight in only…my question is doesn’t this prevent the stock from cracking due to the open end sled?

I think when they refer to sleds they are referring to the Caldwell "Lead Sled" or something like it where a heavy based rest with a solid butt stop is not allowing the shooter or other means to absorb some of the recoil.

When I build a 4 bore rifle I have to make it to deal with a ridiculous amount of recoil. I always bed from the tang to the front of the fore end. I put a 5/8 inch or 3/4 inch steel rod through the stock from the breech to the butt plate. For a 4 bore I use a metal butt plate instead of a recoil pad and also bed the butt plate. Never had any trouble with it when done that way.

I have repaired and replaced many CZ stocks for CAMPFIRE most we broken again do to neglegence. The exception has been the ones that I replaced with Bell & Carlson stocks.

My most recent acquisition was a CZ 550 in 458 Lott built in 2007 that I suspect is most likely unfired or at most fired very little meaning a box or less. This rifle doesn't have any crossbolts in the stock and that worries me. Some of you suggested that I have them installed, others have suggested that I purchase a synthetic stock. Being a relatively Nubie to larger bore rifles a.k.a 375 and above (probably less than 200 rounds fired in total) I'm curious about what other larger bore owners have experienced with OEM wood stocks cracking and or breaking. Does "bedding" prevent stock breakage? I've read about stock breakage on bolt action rifles but don't recall ever seeing a post about stock breakage on a double rifle even when/where really big bores are being used. Is there a reason for that?

What have your experiences been?

The stock on my 9.3x62 cracked right in front of the trigger. Who'd have guessed that might be an issue with that cartridge?

Anyway, I did buy a new (1/2" longer LOP) stock for it. The smith at Gordy & Sons here in Houston said he could repair it, but I opted for a new stock anyway, which he's bedding.

My 404J has a synthetic stock. Given my experience with my 9.3, if the 404 had had a wooden stock and no cross-bolts, I'd have had a pair of them added.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Odessa55A5

Latest profile posts

TERMINATOR wrote on Cuthberto's profile.
Reach out to the guys at Epic Outdoors.

They will steer you right for landowner tags and outfitters that have them.

I have held a membership with them for years and they are an invaluable resource.

Way better that asking random people on the internet...WAY better

Raskolnikov743 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
Skydiver386,

Did you ever find your 30-06 CZ550? I own a fairly solid conditioned one, if you wanted to talk.

[redacted]
Ryanelson wrote on Flipper Dude's profile.
I wanted to know if you minded answering a dew questions on 45-70 in africa
Ryanelson wrote on Sturgeondrjb's profile.
I wanted to know if you minded answering a dew questions on 45-70 in africa