NX8 1-8 on big bore

MShort

AH senior member
Reaction score
Had anyone tried to mount the nx8 1-8 on a big bore. Curious if there is enough tube length to make it work

IDK about tube length, but that's a busy scope. Too busy and complicated, IMO, to be used for what we use big bores to do.

Used one in 3gun and was too busy there! Look at the Trijicon 1-8 I’ve used it the last 2 trips to Africa and really like it, it replaced a Swaro 1-6
Yep. Again, JM2C, but at any distance inside MPBR, those kinds of scopes are a hindrance, not an aid.

my main use will be for elk and bears on a 375 H&H so the ability to have some holdover in the reticle and to dial if needed is something I am use to doing.

I have a NX8 1-8 and have hunted Africa with it on a 375. Maybe busy but when it was time to shoot, I centered it on target.

Nightforce scopes are bulletproof. This NX8 is however first focal plane with the reticle increasing in size as the power is increased. I do NOT like this. For 2023 NF offers a reticle with a smaller center dot. That would be better for shooting 100 yard cloverleaf's!

The NX8 has a illuminated dot and surrounding circle. Turn it on and a near blind man could center it in target.

Bottom line is that if this were second focal plane with a simple reticle, it would be golden for a dangerous game rifle.

I also own several NSX 1-4 which have rather simple reticles and are second focal plane. They are out of production and mine are not leaving my rifles!

Additionally, I compared the clarity of the NX8 1-8 to a Leupold VX5 2-10 gazing at a field 350+ yards away. It was the Leupold with it's 42mm objective lens by a mile!

I think the happy middle ground for a DGR would be the Leupold VX6 1-6.

Note: Nightforce scopes feel like they are built to US military specifications, which they are not. The design, build quality, and their version of Military Standard 810 (environment, shake and bake testing) seems to be comparable. They are not only soldier proof, they are US Marine proof! That means even soldiers and Marines would have a difficult time breaking them.

Last edited:
I have a NS8 1-8 and have hunted Africa with it on a 375. Maybe busy but when it was time to shoot, I centered it on target.

Nightforce scopes are bulletproof. This NX8 is however first focal plane with the reticle increasing in size as the power is increased. I do NOT like this. For 2023 NF offers a reticle with a smaller center dot. That would be better for shooting 100 yard cloverleaf's!

The NX8 has a illuminated dot and surrounding circle. Turn it on and a near blind man could center it in target.

Bottom line is that if this were second focal plane with a simple reticle, it would be golden for a dangerous game rifle.

I also own several NSX 1-4 which have rather simple reticles and are second focal plane. They are out of production and mine are not leaving my rifles!

Additionally, I compared the clarity of the NX8 1-8 to a Leupold VX5 2-10 gazing at a field 350+ yards away. It was the Leupold with it's 42mm objective lens by a mile!

I think the happy middle ground for a DGR would be the Leupold VX6 1-6.
I have a VX5 1-5x24 for my 404J. That's enough magnification for as far as I'm willing to shoot it.

Since you are questioning if tube length is long enough I take it you have not already purchased the scope. If you want a 1-8, I would recommend the Schmidt & Bender Exos. I have tried a lot of scopes, and it is by far my favorite. True 1x in “cc” mode.

Swaro Z8i 1-8x24 would be a good option. My wife and I prefer the 4A-IF reticle for both quick target acquisition and accurate shots.
1689970153875.png

I believe S&B is the only manufacturer that has a true 1x parallax free LPVO. Their optic genuinely converts to a true 1x red dot, then becomes a magnified optic if you adjust the power with a traditional reticle. It’s complex, but it is functionally 2 optics built into 1. They have a good video of how it works on their site.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AngelicaMa

Latest profile posts

Longfeather1 wrote on Cmwkwarrwn's profile.
Hello Clark
Thanks for the interest in my rifle. If you want to discuss it further you can email me direct at [redacted] or call my cell number [redacted].
Look forward to talking with you.
Regards,
Jack Kramer
quacker attacker wrote on JMV375's profile.
Hello, My wife and I hunted with Marius 2 years ago. He fit us into his schedule after a different outfitter "bailed" on us. He was always very good with communications and although we didn't end up meeting him personally, he called us multiple times during our hunt to make sure things were going well. We were very happy with him.
TERMINATOR wrote on Cuthberto's profile.
Reach out to the guys at Epic Outdoors.

They will steer you right for landowner tags and outfitters that have them.

I have held a membership with them for years and they are an invaluable resource.

Way better that asking random people on the internet...WAY better

Raskolnikov743 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
Skydiver386,

Did you ever find your 30-06 CZ550? I own a fairly solid conditioned one, if you wanted to talk.

[redacted]