Not The Best South African Tourist Advert

In Portland, Oregon in 2016 a Black FedEx driver stopped his truck, got out, and punched an elderly White male to death. The woke DA in Portland refused to detain or prosecute the driver. The reason: The White victim had (allegedly) yelled a racial slur. He was therefore a racist. Thus, the FedEx driver was entitled to be judge, jury, and executioner. And it became defacto legal to kill people. As long as they are not woke. (there are two sides to this as to all crimes). The point: ...there is unlikely to be any political will in the USA, UK or the rest of Europe to stop a genocide in South Africa. Things are not getting better, here or there; crime is rampant in the cities. Minimizing the problem will not help. It has NOT always been this way. Be safety conscious, hunt often but take care...........FWB

Agree about the Country versus the city. Think about any big city in the US! I mean any. They may not be quite as bad as Joberg but your splitting hairs. Leave the cities here and things get demonstrably better.I’ve lived in Zimbabwe. Much safer than the US. There will be changes in South Africa. Nobody knows exactly where Rock bottom is. My guess the whites that are there now are staying.

Agree about the Country versus the city. Think about any big city in the US! I mean any. They may not be quite as bad as Joberg but your splitting hairs. Leave the cities here and things get demonstrably better.I’ve lived in Zimbabwe. Much safer than the US. There will be changes in South Africa. Nobody knows exactly where Rock bottom is. My guess the whites that are there now are staying.
Spilliting hairs? Have you ever spent time in SA recently?
Show me any US city where all the people who can afford it are living behind electric fences with 24/7 armed security patrols? and where there's load shedding 6-8 hours everyday? On top of that when you go shopping for luxury goods in a mall instead of handing out the goods to you, they'll ship it to your home because you'll be %100 robbed at the mall's parking lot.

Spilliting hairs? Have you ever spent time in SA recently?
Show me any US city where all the people who can afford it are living behind electric fences with 24/7 armed security patrols? and where there's load shedding 6-8 hours everyday? On top of that when you go shopping for luxury goods in a mall instead of handing out the goods to you, they'll ship it to your home because you'll be %100 robbed at the mall's parking lot.
Last time I was in Minneapolis I drove by two Target stores and a bunch of others that were looted and torched during the "black lives matter" rampage. Doesn't look like they're being replaced.

Gated communities were pretty much the norm in New Orleans when I lived there in the eighties.

Ive spent time in SA recently..

It really depends on where in SA you are talking about and where in the US you are talking about..

I shopped in VERY nice shops in Cape Town.. bought a couple of very nice luxury items.. and then WALKED 1.8 KM back to my hotel with those items in hand (a fairly large tube containing high end art work, and a bag clearly marked with the store logo containing very nice clothing items).. with my wife and my daughter.. and we all felt perfectly safe..

We self drove all over WC province while we were there.. from Cape Town down to Cape Point.. from Cape Town out to Stellenbosh, all around the city itself, etc.. never a problem.. and felt perfectly safe.. Also experienced ZERO load shedding.. we ate at fine dining establishments.. stayed in a 4 star western hotel (the westin).. etc... Frankly it was far nicer, and far safer than if we had attempted to do the same thing in Paris or London...

Johannesburg.. that is a completely different story..

But so are Dallas and Detroit.. There are parts of Detroit I wouldnt go to at 10PM on a Tuesday, any week of the year.. ESPECIALLY not with my wife and one of my children in tow..

I was a cop in the Memphis metro area for a bit more than a decade.. There are parts of that city I would not go to at 10PM on a Tuesday, any week of the year, even when I was a cop, with a badge in my pocket and a pistol on my hip at times I was off duty.. ESPECIALLY not with my wife and one of my children in tow..

Load shedding is just another word for "rolling brown outs".. something California residents deal with as a matter of routine these days (not to the extent of SA.. but we have them here as well unfortunately)..

New Orleans is the #8 city in the world for highest homicide rate.. The first South Africa city doesnt show up on the list until #12... Baltimore, Detroit, and Memphis come in at 17, 23, 25 respectively..

For overall violent crime proportional to population.. St. Louis and Detroit were ranked #1 and #2 in the world (for what its worth, Baghdad Iraq was #3, Kabul Afghanistan #4, Chicago #5, and Tijuana #6..

Im not claiming SA doesnt have real problems.. and that people traveling there shouldnt be careful and/or aware of whats going on around them..

But if folks believe shopping in Highland Park in Dallas or Bel Air in LA is indicative of the safety and security and stability of the US.. they need to open their eyes..

There are plenty of places, both rural and urban in SA that are FAR safer than parts of the US.. and there are plenty of places, both rural and urban in the US that are FAR safer than parts of SA..

Its all about where you specifically are, and what you are specifically doing, and how you are specifically behaving...

Last edited:
I watch Malema spouting his vitriol and think back to Jo’burg in the early 1980’s. We would stay at the Landrost Hotel, which was quite a nice hotel back then, and walk over a kilometer to Carlton Center to browse and shop, then walk back with a few things, enjoying the city. Or, we’d stay at the Carlton Hotel, enjoy the mall and Three Ships restaurant in the hotel.

Nowadays, Jo’burg is a shithole, not safe to stay in, let alone go walking through town alone. I wonder how many who live there would go back to what it used to be, if they could?

Ive spent time in SA recently..

It really depends on where in SA you are talking about and where in the US you are talking about..

I shopped in VERY nice shops in Cape Town.. bought a couple of very nice luxury items.. and then WALKED 1.8 KM back to my hotel with those items in hand (a fairly large tube containing high end art work, and a bag clearly marked with the store logo containing very nice clothing items).. with my wife and my daughter.. and we all felt perfectly safe..

We self drove all over WC province while we were there.. from Cape Town down to Cape Point.. from Cape Town out to Stellenbosh, all around the city itself, etc.. never a problem.. and felt perfectly safe.. Also experienced ZERO load shedding.. we ate at fine dining establishments.. stayed in a 4 star western hotel (the westin).. etc... Frankly it was far nicer, and far safer than if we had attempted to do the same thing in Paris or London...

Johannesburg.. that is a completely different story..

But so are Dallas and Detroit.. There are parts of Detroit I wouldnt go to at 10PM on a Tuesday, any week of the year.. ESPECIALLY not with my wife and one of my children in tow..

I was a cop in the Memphis metro area for a bit more than a decade.. There are parts of that city I would not go to at 10PM on a Tuesday, any week of the year, even when I was a cop, with a badge in my pocket and a pistol on my hip at times I was off duty.. ESPECIALLY not with my wife and one of my children in tow..

Load shedding is just another word for "rolling brown outs".. something California residents deal with as a matter of routine these days (not to the extent of SA.. but we have them here as well unfortunately)..

New Orleans is the #8 city in the world for highest homicide rate.. The first South Africa city doesnt show up on the list until #12... Baltimore, Detroit, and Memphis come in at 17, 23, 25 respectively..

For overall violent crime proportional to population.. St. Louis and Detroit were ranked #1 and #2 in the world (for what its worth, Baghdad Iraq was #3, Kabul Afghanistan #4, Chicago #5, and Tijuana #6..

Im not claiming SA doesnt have real problems.. and that people traveling there shouldnt be careful and/or aware of whats going on around them..

But if folks believe shopping in Highland Park in Dallas or Bel Air in LA is indicative of the safety and security and stability of the US.. they need to open their eyes..

There are plenty of places, both rural and urban in SA that are FAR safer than parts of the US.. and there are plenty of places, both rural and urban in the US that are FAR safer than parts of SA..

Its all about where you specifically are, and what you are specifically doing, and how you are specifically behaving...
No need to take this conversation any further... However let me drop this here to show how absurd to compare US with SA:

I was in South Africa when that happened...

want absurdity? the US has plenty of it to go around.. all you have to do is open your eyes to see it..

Want to focus on corruption? No doubt South Africa is corrupt to its core.. but it doesnt even come close to being in the top 25 (nor does the US)... guess who doesnt make the bottom 25.. (neither the US or South Africa).. both countries have corruption issues... been to Chicago lately?

Comparing media articles isn’t a good comparison. This is the clear sign of where South Africa is heading year after year under their current government since 1994. Pretty sad to see considering what they were handed and the potential that exists.
IMG_1908.png

There are some serious problems in South Africa but anyone can see the Boer farmers are not the source. Getting rid of them will fix nothing, only make a difficult situation worse ... per the example of Zimbabwe.
Mistake you are making is thinking they did it in Zimbabwe to fix something in their economy or was forward thinking. White farmers supported opposition party. Taking the land took away funding for opposition party. Same situation exists in South Africa. The example of Zimbabwe will mean nothing if ruling party starts to lose in future.

dont get me wrong.. Im not arguing that SA isnt in a tail spin.. and I also fear that at some point it will all collapse if substantial measures arent taken to change things (and Im not convinced that will happen in our lifetimes)..

Im simply saying that the belief that everything is gloom, doom, unsafe, that infrastructure is completely falling apart, etc RIGHT NOW is incorrect.. and the belief that the US is without many of the same problems is also incorrect..

Frankly the highway that takes you out of Jo-berg toward the NW province is in significantly better condition that the stretch of I20 that goes through the heart of Dallas right now..

This is definitely not the best South African tourist advertisement but was a pretty cool souvenir to bring home
IMG_1911.jpeg

This is definitely not the best South African tourist advertisement but was a pretty cool souvenir to bring home
View attachment 550210
If you ever decide you want to part with that, let me know..

I've got the perfect place to hang it in my house (in the upstairs bathroom... just over the shitter... :D )...

If you ever decide you want to part with that, let me know..

I've got the perfect place to hang it in my house (in the upstairs bathroom... just over the shitter... :D )...
Just go hunt South Africa right after their elections. You’ll find more political signs than plastic bottles on side of road. EFF doesn’t take their signs down. ANC does. They actually gave me a new one while they were taking down their signs.

Just go hunt South Africa right after their elections. You’ll find more political signs than plastic bottles on side of road. EFF doesn’t take their signs down. ANC does. They actually gave me a new one while they were taking down their signs.
The corrugated plastic cardboard posters every candidate uses here make great backing for targets. My rifle club gets a truckload after every election. That Son of Soil poster would be economical. No need to staple a bullseye on it. Ready to go as is.

The issue is NOT how you enjoyed tourism in RSA. How safe you felt. The issue is what it is like to be a White Farmer.....living there 24/7/365.....when you can't retreat nightly into the 4 Seasons. .......FWB

Farm murders are a reality in SA , very often brutal and violent attacks take place . Many farmers are old and vulnerable and they are not spared the torture and trauma of savage attacks . Here is another recent attack .

Attachments

• 78574db8-9696-4382-b658-c441af0f7e68.jpeg
    78574db8-9696-4382-b658-c441af0f7e68.jpeg
    111.8 KB · Views: 83
Whistling through a graveyard won't change reality. Then there's BRICS. I know of some RSA ex-pats who left several years ago. Cost members of a family a couple hundred thou dollars each to enter Australia under some form of immigrant visa.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MarcellaGa

Latest profile posts

EC HUNTING SAFARIS wrote on MarcoPani's profile.
Happy Birthday, from Grahamstown, South Africa.
I hope your day is great!
Cheers
Marius
EC HUNTING SAFARIS wrote on Ilkay Taskin's profile.
Happy Birthday from Grahamstown, South Africa! I hope you have a great day!
Cheers, Marius
idjeffp wrote on Jon R15's profile.
Hi Jon,
I saw your post for the .500 NE cases. Are these all brass or are they nickel plated? Hard for me to tell... sorry.
Thanks,
Jeff [redacted]
Boise, ID
[redacted]