Norma PH Safari 470 powder

soumya sarkar

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Hunting reports
Africa
Does anyone know what powder Norma uses in their PH Safari line and an equivalent substitute if available.

Last edited:
I don't know what Norma uses. But H4831 seems to be the go to powder for factory loads. I know it has worked well in both of the 470s I've owned. It worked well in a .416 Rigby I once had too. It just seems to work well with the larger cartridges.

I use RL 15.5 achieving 2150 FPS at 84 grains with little felt recoil

H4831 will achieve the same FPS but at 106 grains with much more recoil

Does anyone know what powder Norma uses in their PH Safari line and an equivalent substitute if available.
I have reloaded with 88gr Norma 203-B ( as per their reloading data) with same point of impact and perceived recoil as factory loads

I have reloaded with 88gr Norma 203-B ( as per their reloading data) with same point of impact and perceived recoil as factory loads
Unfortunately Norma 203B is not available in the US, any substitute?

Unfortunately Norma 203B is not available in the US, any substitute?
If I'm not totally mistaken you could try with Alliant Reloder-15. Unless things have changed, it is made by Eurenco Bofors, and sold to both Norma and Alliant.

Norma brands it as 203-B, and Alliant as Reloder-15.

If I'm not totally mistaken you could try with Alliant Reloder-15. Unless things have changed, it is made by Eurenco Bofors, and sold to both Norma and Alliant.

From my research, this is correct, and Norma 203-B, regulated the same as Reloder-15, in a 450/400 Nitro double.
Hope this helps.

+1

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HoracioSpi

Latest profile posts

idjeffp wrote on Jon R15's profile.
Hi Jon,
I saw your post for the .500 NE cases. Are these all brass or are they nickel plated? Hard for me to tell... sorry.
Thanks,
Jeff [redacted]
Boise, ID
[redacted]
African Scenic Safaris is a Sustainable Tour Operator based in Moshi, Tanzania. Established in 2009 as a family business, the company is owned and operated entirely by locals who share the same passion for showing people the amazing country of Tanzania and providing a fantastic personalized service.
FDP wrote on dailordasailor's profile.
1200 for the 375 barrel and accessories?