Non-Wood stocks?

Ray B

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
USA/Canada
Previously discussed was a Mark X action that had been sloppily machined to the point of uselessness- so now I have a replacement FN action that I'm hoping will work. The barrel to be fitted to it is a medium taper 300 Wby Mag. so if all goes well with that it should be an accurate system- but what I need is a stock that will add to its accuracy. Other than advertisements, which all indicate that this or that stock is best- what information can you provide? I'm interested in a hunting style stock- not overly heavy, but it doesn't have to be light and I'm not interested in tactical aspects. The rifle should resemble what used to be called a hunting rifle. Price range of a few hundred dollars is reasonable.

A Boyd’s laminate properly bedded would work. Sun $300 is a challenging price point. MPI and McMilan are my two favorites and they are $600+.

I guess a better way to phrase the question is: What are the differences between synthetic stocks? I see that some are Kevlar and others are variations of layered and poured materials. Since all the companies claim theirs is best- is there any unbiased testing of stocks made of different materials/methods?

For what your trying to do, McMillan is probably your best bet. Many of the other big name stock manufacturers won’t inlet for that action. You will likely want the fiberglass McMilan. Go spend a bunch of time on their website and look at styles and colors. Call them and discuss pros and cons for your application. They are good to deal with and helpful. You’re probably looking at at least a 6 month build time for a custom inlet and choice of color. I’d guess about $800ish

I’m a fan of Bell and Carlson stocks. They’re fiberglass and have a full length aluminum bedding block. They weigh in at roughly 2lbs. I’ve used them on Tikka, Ruger, and CZ. All tightened up the grouping with the same loads as stock.

I have a B & C medalist on my FN 9.3. Is it best quality? No. It’s it perfectly serviceable? Yes. Does it have good ergonomics? Yes. Would I buy another? Yes.

5559AE69-5D75-4180-9B90-B62CFF053BD2.jpeg

@baxterb - In what ways is it not best quality?
Mostly fit around the action. And there are a few little nicks/voids on the edges It’s slightly bulky at the receiver.

im just saying don’t expect it to look like a hand-inletted McMillan or wood stock. You may need to relieve the aluminum bedding block depending on your trigger and magazine.

And the checkering on the Mauser model is actually quite decent. Neither my other model 70 medalist or HS precisions even have checkering.

For the money, and considering you can buy them for a Mauser off the shelf, they are great. I ordered directly from them, had it made to my LOP and asked them to leave the front sling stud off. No issues at all.

Look at Hogue Stocks, they make them for the Mauser actions. Get the full length aluminum bedded stock. It made a big difference in my old Remington 8mm Rem Mag especially in reducing recoil. The stock has somewhat of a rubbery feel to it which I find very much appreciated when its cold and wet outside. The full bedded stock lists for $269.95

@dchamp : I note that it was for a 8mm Rem Mag, a "long mag" cartridge. Did you have to remove material for the magazine to fit? or could you specify a long mag opening?

My action is a Remington 700. I did not need to remove any material. It would probably be best to call and ask them.
Screen Shot 2022-03-05 at 4.56.49 PM.png
Screen Shot 2022-03-05 at 4.56.00 PM.png

Previously discussed was a Mark X action that had been sloppily machined to the point of uselessness- so now I have a replacement FN action that I'm hoping will work. The barrel to be fitted to it is a medium taper 300 Wby Mag. so if all goes well with that it should be an accurate system- but what I need is a stock that will add to its accuracy. Other than advertisements, which all indicate that this or that stock is best- what information can you provide? I'm interested in a hunting style stock- not overly heavy, but it doesn't have to be light and I'm not interested in tactical aspects. The rifle should resemble what used to be called a hunting rifle. Price range of a few hundred dollars is reasonable.
Bell & Carlson, have 5 all fitted very well & i think they are great products & reasonably priced & have nice sporter styles, much better than the rubber Houge types.

They also make them for the Winchester M70 Long Action, I don't know if that would work or not.

I’ve been very pleased with the Kevlar/Aramid composite B&C stocks. I wish they offered checkering.

IMHO, fiberglass stocks are usually too heavy for anything but big bores or target/varmit type rifles.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
outlookindiatotok

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Ryanelson wrote on Flipper Dude's profile.
I wanted to know if you minded answering a dew questions on 45-70 in africa
Ryanelson wrote on Sturgeondrjb's profile.
I wanted to know if you minded answering a dew questions on 45-70 in africa
HerbJohnson wrote on Triathlete3's profile.
If you have an email, I would love to be able to chat with you about J.P.H. Prohunt. My email address is [redacted]. Thanks.
Another Wildebees cull shot this morning!