New Von Gruff Heavy Hunter Knife

Not trying to annoy you, mate. I was trying to mildly stir things up, in regard to how many people would know that the kopis is the link between Alexander the Great and the kukri. I wanted to use a couple more emojis to get that point across, in a light hearted way but the internet was playing up and after a long hard week on multiple sites I just used the single emoji.

I get a lot of enjoyment out of studying the cultures and associated accouterments of the art of the blade. First photo is an old, original example of a carved Raksasa demon ceremonial blade holder from Bali that really stirs my imagination. As do the Wayang figures used for some keris handles and the Garuda, Lasara and Bekhu seen on various scabbards along with some the knife and short sword hilts from the region. I wouldn't pretend to understand the cultural meaning of most of these, other than obviously they carry "strong medicine" for their owners.

Raksasa ceremonial knife holder, Bali
Raksasa cermonial knife holder Bali.jpg

A very nice and representative example of a Wayang figure keris hilt, Bali
Wayang  keris hilt Bali.JPG

Klewang kilt, Timor
Klewang hilt, Timor .JPG

Photos courtesy of Albert Van Zonneveld.

As I dont do ornamentation/gilding/jeweling or carving etc Those will certainly not be on my radar to emulate :giggle: :giggle: :giggle:
Much more inclined toward the design elements of the blade and handle with influence of the makers for the everyday user rather than the elite of society.

Of course not looking to commission or influence anything you may make. Only posting some historically based follow up for some of the posts in this thread mentioning the variety of designs out there- including the wavy blade designs. Many of these ethnic/cultural designs are most certainly not based so much around function but tend toward symbolism, costume and tradition. Although many could be dual purpose or even three purpose and used as formidable weapons. Here's a couple in my collection showing examples of the wavy blade types of both keris and kris blades.

top pics- small Buginese/Sulawesi 9 lug keris. Note the finely carved, fullered and laminated blade. Some of the earlier blade smiths used nickel/iron material from excavated meteorites to forge these. More Big Medicine" :)

bottom pics- a larger Moro kris (short sword) late 1800s confiscated during the Moro rebellion in the Philippines following the Spanish-American War. It is an 11 luk blade. Note the temper color difference in this forged blade between the core and edge and the straps that secure the blade to the ganja and handle. No question this weapon was made for serious fighting!

9 luk keris, Buginese S Sulawesi.jpg

Bugis keris.jpg

Moro kris, Philippines.png

Kris Philippines.jpg

"

Last edited:

The handle geometry on this knife would be very appealing for a modern chef's knife. Especially if it was made dishwasher "resistant" with a stabilized wood/resin. I know its heresy, but someone always puts good knives in the dish washer by accident.

Of course not looking to commission or influence anything you may make. Only posting some historically based follow up for some of the posts in this thread mentioning the variety of designs out there- including the wavy blade designs. Many of these ethnic/cultural designs are most certainly not based so much around function but tend toward symbolism, costume and tradition. Although many could be dual purpose or even three purpose and used as formidable weapons. Here's a couple in my collection showing examples of the wavy blade types of both keris and kris blades.
A guy I knew about 30-odd years back had a kris as a pig sticking knife so I know how effective they can be. Some of the design appreciation is the formidable look and its effect on those who may have been facing it.
I just bought in a couple of bars or carbon damascus that may work well with this style although in a less fancy iteration.

The handle geometry on this knife would be very appealing for a modern chef's knife. Especially if it was made dishwasher "resistant" with a stabilized wood/resin. I know its heresy, but someone always puts good knives in the dish washer by accident.
It has intrigued me every time I look at it and its modern angularity has a certain appeal but the blade shapeneeds a bit of a tweak to match the handle I think for kitchen use. The dishwasher is the bane of knifemakers and my guarantee says not to put them in. Have had to rehandle a nice solingen blade recently that had the handle shrunk and cracked through dishwasher use.

New Von Gruff Heavy Hunter Knife

I gave this to myself for Christmas AND a matching one to my son, Craig.

Once again I am very, very pleased with the quality of the workmanship.
The knife is just a great one - feel and balance.

Also feels "sturdy".

Will take this to Tasmania in early April for a fallow deer hunt.
Thanks Garry!

View attachment 440794
Where art and function intersect. Gorgeous and very useful. Perfect! Kudos to you both.

It has intrigued me every time I look at it and its modern angularity has a certain appeal but the blade shapeneeds a bit of a tweak to match the handle I think for kitchen use. The dishwasher is the bane of knifemakers and my guarantee says not to put them in. Have had to rehandle a nice solingen blade recently that had the handle shrunk and cracked through dishwasher use.

No way any of my Von Gruff knives will ever go into a dishwasher.
Temperature alone would blunt the sharpness.
Mine mostly are not for use.
I just like to collect
although I’ll be using the harpoon knife, heavy hunter and another knife -all Von Gruff fir deer and buffalo.

Part of the knife in the dishwasher problem for the handle is the hot and cold expansion/contraction breaking the epoxy bond so there is only the pinstock holding the handle on and very soon that gap etween the handle and the steel causes more problems.
One remedy is the various screw together holding with Corby and Loveless bolts as well as the chinese varieties but I dont like the visually dominating larger size and especially the (to me) "Loveless smile:.

My wife puts knives in the DW. That’s one of several reasons our knives are kept and maintained separately. Basically I hide mine from her. I happily sharpen and steel “her” knives, shaking my head the whole time, but it keeps her happy.

Both of my Von Gruff’s get used in rough conditions, hand washed with warm soapy water when I can, rinsed, dried, and lightly oiled. So far so good. If that’s wrong please correct me. When I get the 5” filet knife, it will get used similarly.

Dr. Ray, I only have one knife for display. It’s not particularly useful or really well finished. But the sheath is unique with a leather wrap and horn tab to hold the knife in the sheath, and the bone handle has a fossil ivory inlay. Got it in a Native settlement in AK, could not walk past it.

My wife puts knives in the DW. That’s one of several reasons our knives are kept and maintained separately. Basically I hide mine from her. I happily sharpen and steel “her” knives, shaking my head the whole time, but it keeps her happy.

Both of my Von Gruff’s get used in rough conditions, hand washed with warm soapy water when I can, rinsed, dried, and lightly oiled. So far so good. If that’s wrong please correct me. When I get the 5” filet knife, it will get used similarly.

Dr. Ray, I only have one knife for display. It’s not particularly useful or really well finished. But the sheath is unique with a leather wrap and horn tab to hold the knife in the sheath, and the bone handle has a fossil ivory inlay. Got it in a Native settlement in AK, could not walk past it.

Could you post the photo please

That knife is going on 40 years old. Not sure of the skill of the builder in terms of metals reacting with the leather, some parts are showing green. But his enthusiasm in wanting to sell it and that unique sheath caught my eye. Who knows what is really inlaid in the handle, but it sold me. Lol. It actually has a nice edge, but doubt it will hold an edge like Garry’s knives do if used. It’s clumsy size is really laid bare next to the elegant and useful Von Gruff design, to my eye anyway. Done hijacking the thread, apologies.

Yes that is the best way to care for your knives.

That knife is going on 40 years old. Not sure of the skill of the builder in terms of metals reacting with the leather, some parts are showing green. But his enthusiasm in wanting to sell it and that unique sheath caught my eye. Who knows what is really inlaid in the handle, but it sold me. Lol. It actually has a nice edge, but doubt it will hold an edge like Garry’s knives do if used. It’s clumsy size is really laid bare next to the elegant and useful Von Gruff design, to my eye anyway. Done hijacking the thread, apologies.
With your sheath with the keeper strap.
Is it a length of leather cord fixed at the sheath near the spine with a loop to go over the handle to hold it secure and the remaining length of the leather through under the back of the sheath to where the toggle end can wrap around the keeper on the sewn edge??

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LeviHyde3

Latest profile posts

Redfishga1 wrote on gearguywb's profile.
I would be interested in the ruger if the other guy is not.
Bartbux wrote on franzfmdavis's profile.
Btw…this was Kuche….had a great time.
Sorry to see your troubles on pricing.

Happy to call you and talk about experience…I’m also a Minnesota guy.
Ready for the next hunt