New to forum

Thanks sestoppelman, I have no doubt!!!

Mike do you remember what form the ATF sent you for 'in transit' through the US? I contacted the ATF and they shuffled me to 5 people who all said I did not need anything as long as I was not taking possesion of the firearms while in the US, They also said that even if I was driving through the US on a 'shortcut' between 2 Canadian destinations no paperwork is neccesary. They would not send an email stating that though and refered me to their firearm import specialist Lana Ramsburg who will be away until monday, Is this who you spoke with?
 
Please excuse the tone of the last post I was rushing and wanted to make sure that you quit wasting your time.
Your guns will be confiscated by Customs and Border Protection.
I regularly hunt in the USA and get the 6NIA from ATF and can enter the USA with it with all 10 of my rifles.
I can not transit with it. Even though I never touch the gun. I had assumed I could with the regular permit. Luckily a friend of mine caught this glitch, I checked it out thoroughly, as the linked post tells the tale.
My rifle is meeting me in South Africa because of this.
I am flying through the USA and friends are going through Amsterdam with my gun. Although it is technically his gun (registered to him for this trip with the Canadian Firearms registry)
 
Welcome to the website and good luck on your safari.
 
Having just returned from my first trip to Africa I can assure you it will be one of the best places you will ever go in your life! Best of luck!
 
BRICKBURN, Thank you for alerting me to the DSP-61 form, things tend to go much easier through customs when you dont look suprised or uninformed about any questions. However after much research, I have found that the DSP-61 form is not applicable to the in-transit of firearms through the US. The problem that can arise in the event of delayed or cancelled flights is taking posession of your firearms while in the US which requires either a DSP-61 or an BATF import permit depending on your intended end use of the firearm. Here is a link to a post with more details and how to aviod becoming a criminal due to the actions of others (airlines).

Later
Derek

http://www.africahunting.com/before-after-hunt/5439-transiting-procedures-through-us-firearms.html
 
Having just returned from my first trip to Africa I can assure you it will be one of the best places you will ever go in your life! Best of luck!

Thanks Rick I cant wait!!!
 
I have found that the DSP-61 form is not applicable to the in-transit of firearms through the US. The problem that can arise in the event of delayed or cancelled flights is taking posession of your firearms while in the US which requires either a DSP-61 or an BATF import permit depending on your intended end use of the firearm. Here is a link to a post with more details and how to aviod becoming a criminal due to the actions of others (airlines).
http://www.africahunting.com/before-after-hunt/5439-transiting-procedures-through-us-firearms.html

Derek,
Well there would be yet another shocker that someone in the State department would misquote the rules.
I"ll look at the link and do some more calling to the guy who told me the rules from the State department and see what he has to say.
My guns are already going the alternate route so it won't effect me this time.
I look forward to hearing that you breezed through without a problem and the gun is posed beside your Kudu Bull.
 
Welcome Derek you and your wife Are about to embark on an adventure that you will never be able to get out of your dreams. Good luck hunting.
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,351
Messages
1,573,791
Members
169,854
Latest member
SunnyGerra
 

 

 

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is [redacted] in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
MHYOUNG 375 wrote on Marley7x57's profile.
If you really are interested I 'll send some pix. I have quiet a few.
 
Top