New rifle, One and only for Africa

another 30-06 recommendation, I dont think anyone has pointed out that 30-06 ammo is cheaper and more available than 7 mm ammo(7mm seems to be second most popular calibre). Check Safari and Outdoor and you will see that something like Federal Powershok is just about half the price.

Cheap ammo = more practise. And more practise = better shooting.

I have hunted up to a Roan with a .270 and PMP 150gr partition bullet.

One shot kill.

Next gun, .375HH

Need some recommendations on a rifle for South Africa , born and raised here , and soon to buy my first rifle , I’m thinking somewhere in the categories of 308 and 270 , 243 . Anyone having any suggestions if they could only have one rifle for hunting animals such as impala , springbok , kudu , eland , zebra , wildebeest , Hartebeest , waterbuck , bushbuck and perhaps some smaller game like duiker and reedbuck
First hand experience with .270 (150gr NP), and .308 (180NP, and SA mil ball)

.270...warthog, zebra, springbok, kudu, wildebeest, blesbok, leopard, sable, gemsbok, impala, and baboons.

.308...impala, leopard, zebra, tsessebe, kudu, forest hog, bushbuck, baboons.

I have no experience with the .243.

Good luck...

Howsit Carter123 and Fellow Hunters,

The .30-06 is a very fine hunting cartridge.
I’ve used it in two African countries plus, in several of the USA western states, including Alaska, always with excellent results.
Loaded with 200 grain and / or 220 grain bullets, especially the Swift A-Frame or, any similarly extra tough bullets, I suspect it will usually work well enough for hunting eland.
An added feature of 200 gr- 220 gr bullets at .30-06 bullets is that for shooting smaller game, such as impala, warthog, duiker, N. American and European deers, etc. is that, even though indeed very effectivo, they do not ruin much edible meat and skins, compared to lighter / faster bullets.

However in my opinion, ALL, regardless of design .30 caliber bullets, regardless of how much supreme galactic magnum velocity they might be loaded to, all .30 caliber bullets are on the light side for animals weighing 1,500 - 2,000 pounds.
This becomes important for the times when that huge blue bull is quartering toward you, requiring that you smash through the quite thick and tough shoulder bone, in order to reach deep through the heart lung region of such large critters.

If one is planning to very often hunt things like eland, N. American bison, Aisian water buffaloes, Alaska - Yukon Moose, etc. I recommend cartridges beginning at .33 caliber, shooting 250 grain bullets @ 2400 feet per second, minimum.
The 9.3x62 Mauser cartridge comes to mind.

Likewise for this same reason old Velo Dog’s personal favorite hunting cartridge is the .375 H&H, with 300 grain bullets.
It however generates pretty much twice the recoil as the .30-06 with 220 grain bullets and therefore is not the best choice for your “first rifle”.

Having said all that, again I repeat that the .30-06 with 200 gr - 220 gr today’s super tough bullets, such as the A-Frame, Trophy Bonded Bear Claw, etc. will probably work, as long as you have the wherewithal to hold your fire when any huge, heavy animal (1,500 - 2,000 pounds) is quartering toward you.
Nonetheless, in all fairness to the .30-06, myself having personally not shot anything larger than guldang wilderbeests with .30 caliber rifles, I am only guessing.
My opinion results from having examined eland, moose and bison shoulder bones, during the butchering process.
Therefore it is only a theory. to be taken with a pinch of pepper.

Anyway, at the end of the day, keeping tolerable recoil in mind for your first rifle, I cast one more vote for the boring old .30-06 cartridge.
It is not my absolute favorite hunting cartridge but, it it is one of my favorites.
It’s a real peach and I like it a lot.

Best Regards,
Velo Dog.

Can't go wrong with 30-06, but I would recommend 300 winmag to give you more flexibility on bigger stuff like eland. I took my Winchester Model 70 in 300 winmag on two different hunts in South Africa and it performed beautifully on everything from impala to kudu and gemsbok to eland.

So........... let's include the bullet perspective............

The .30-06 is wonderful and made its name pre and post WW II in Africa, shooting 180 gr or even 220 gr bullets that typically fragmented upon impact and generally lost anywhere from 50% to xx% of their weight during penetration. Even using the Nosler Partition as a modern (post 1945) reference, the loss of the front core and about 40% weight was standard.

Modern bullets such as A Frame or TSX / TTSX (or equivalent) that retain 95+% of their weight penetrate a lot deeper. So an "old" 180 gr load is the equivalent to a modern 110 gr load in term of penetration (I proved that one to myself with the .25 100 gr TTSX on a dozen PG species up to and including Roan), and an "old" 220 gr load is the equivalent to a modern 130 gr load.

What this means is that modern .27-06 loads do the same as the old .30-06 loads in terms of penetration. Calling the .27-06 by its commercial name, the .270 Win, with a 130 gr TTSX it will kill any PG on earth, and it will provide an additional safety margin with a 150 gr when going after heavy PG. Conversely, it can go down to 110 gr for MG (mountain game). I am thinking Vaal Rhebok here...

The .270 130 / 150 gr will also shoot significantly flatter than the .30-06 180 gr / 220 gr, still without paying the price in noise and recoil of a magnum.

If the .270 appeals to you Carter123, i will second Cam Moon, this is one of the very best PG calibers there is, between 110 and 150 gr.

If a metric caliber appeals to you Carter123, I will second IvW and say that the 7x64 too is about perfect, between 120 and 160 gr.

In reality, the .270 Win (bullet diameter .277" or 7.03 mm / case length 64.5 mm) and 7x64 (bullet diameter .284" or 7.21 mm / case length 64 mm) are virtual twins and both will match and exceed the performance of grand old 220 gr and 180 gr .30-06 loads.

PS1: there is no flies on the grand old 7x57, of course, but the 7x64 shoots significantly flatter, which is not a bad thing.

PS2: I too believe that the .243, while a great cartridge is a little light to be a true "one and only" rifle for PG. Wildebeest, Hartebeest, etc. can get big...

Last edited:
I have hunted SA in the past, but of course, brought my own rifle and ammo. Have no clue what the current firearm/ammo situation is there today. But I would make sure I could readily purchase the needed ammo. Believe it or not, for the last couple of years, here in good old USA, ammo has been and remains an issue.

I have hunted SA in the past, but of course, brought my own rifle and ammo. Have no clue what the current firearm/ammo situation is there today. But I would make sure I could readily purchase the needed ammo. Believe it or not, for the last couple of years, here in good old USA, ammo has been and remains an issue.
I blame Trump :E Roll Eyes: and global warming.

I would probably shop for a .30-06. Hard to beat for versatility and gets the job done under most conditions. I know many who chose that as a first rifle with lasting satisfaction.

300Win for sure. Reaches our a little further than some other calibers mentioned and can use 150gr for the smaller stuff, 180+ for heavier. A new production Winchester Super Grade and a quality scope is a heavy setup so recoil is NOT an issue. In fact, my .270 kicks harder.

Thanks to everyone for all the help , I do have shooting experience with lighter calibers , just wondering for a good all round rifle to buy for my first in my name . Would a 30-06 or a 7X57 cause a lot of meat damage to a smaller animal if shot within 100 meters , eg a blesbok or impala , or even a pig . Would the meat damage be rather bad ? I’ve never shot with either of those Calibers

Thanks to everyone for all the help , I do have shooting experience with lighter calibers , just wondering for a good all round rifle to buy for my first in my name . Would a 30-06 or a 7X57 cause a lot of meat damage to a smaller animal if shot within 100 meters , eg a blesbok or impala , or even a pig . Would the meat damage be rather bad ? I’ve never shot with either of those Calibers

Hi again Carter123,

With the .30-06 and 180 grain bullets, there will be some but, not much meat damage.
With the .30-06 and 220 grain bullets, barely any meat damage at all.

With the 7x57 and 160 grainers, again there will be some but not much meat damage.
With the 7x57 and 175 grainers, also barely any meat damage at all.

Both are wonderful “biltong cartridges” for sure.

Cheers,
Velo Dog.

Thanks to everyone for all the help , I do have shooting experience with lighter calibers , just wondering for a good all round rifle to buy for my first in my name . Would a 30-06 or a 7X57 cause a lot of meat damage to a smaller animal if shot within 100 meters , eg a blesbok or impala , or even a pig . Would the meat damage be rather bad ? I’ve never shot with either of those Caliber
Have shot a number of blesbok, impala and warthog with 30-06 using 180gr PMP bullets, I can't recall excessive meat damage using heart/lung shots.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kakiri

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

gunslinger1971 wrote on Gray Fox's profile.
Do you still have the Browning 1895 and do you want to sell it? I'm might be interested. If so please let me know and do you have any pictures?

Steve in Missouri
[redacted]
Redfishga1 wrote on gearguywb's profile.
I would be interested in the ruger if the other guy is not.
Bartbux wrote on franzfmdavis's profile.
Btw…this was Kuche….had a great time.
Sorry to see your troubles on pricing.

Happy to call you and talk about experience…I’m also a Minnesota guy.