new recoil pad

steve71

AH member
Reaction score
Media
Just bought a Ruger Hawkeye African in 375 Ruger from a gentleman here in the classifieds. The rifle is great. I'm looking to replace the ruger pad. Will a pad for the mk77 fit this rifle? I can not find specific listing for this rifle.
Appreciate the help Oh looking at Limb saver

Here's a link for Pachmayer pads. Print out the template for their various size pads and you can use the appropriate one to get measurements for your rifle. With this info. you should be able to purchase the correct size Limbsaver pad. The African Ruger's have walnut stocks so you'll have to get a grind to fit pad.

Lots of complaints about Limbsaver. I find them too soft. In a heavy recoil gun a too soft recoil pad becomes non-productive. Pachmayer is best in my opinion. Just stiff enough. Their "Old English" in red looks very sexy on African guns.

Go with a Kick-ee, IMO best pads out there. I have one on all my rifles, with spacers for correct LOP as well.

Just bought a Ruger Hawkeye African in 375 Ruger from a gentleman here in the classifieds. The rifle is great. I'm looking to replace the ruger pad. Will a pad for the mk77 fit this rifle? I can not find specific listing for this rifle.
Appreciate the help Oh looking at Limb saver
I had a Ruger 1 in 458 Lott which had a brutal kick. I used a Pachmayr slip on pan which fit great and made the recoil doable for multiple shots at the range. Keep that Ruger pad whatever you do for future value.

Take a look at Falcon Strike recoil pad. I just installed on on my Ruger No1 in 375 H&H. Works well, but expensive.

I used to use pachmyer decelerators almost exclusively… but the last several replacements I’ve done have been with either NECG pads or kickeez pads. I find they grind to fit more easily, and they lack the metal plate that pachmyer uses, which I prefer (grind just .001 too deep and you have shiney aluminum showing on a pachmyer)…

"OK probably a dumb question...but how do you grind these pads?"

It's not as easy as it sounds. It's tricky to get the lines to flow from the stock to the pad correctly. If you don't have any experience, get a gunsmith to do it for you.

I put them on the stock and then use a pencil to create a line around the pad that shows me how far to grind… this usually leaves just a slight bit more pad than needed…

I then remove the pad from the stock..

I have a couple of belt grinders in my shop (principally used for making knives and other work)… I start with a fairly aggressive grit that takes off material pretty quickly (something like a 100 grit belt), and then when I get within maybe 1/16” of an inch swap out and go to a finde grit belt like a 240 to make a smooth surface and more polished appearance on the sides of the pad… I take it to where you can just barely see a tiny bit of what’s left of the pencil marks…

Then I reinstall on the rifle…

I wrap the butt of the rifle with 2 layers of painters tape.. and then continue to hand sand with fine sanding blocks (240 grit) until I start removing the first layer of painters tape… at that point I know the pad is flush with the stock and it’s time to quit… :)

"OK probably a dumb question...but how do you grind these pads?"

It's not as easy as it sounds. It's tricky to get the lines to flow from the stock to the pad correctly. If you don't have any experience, get a gunsmith to do it for you.

I actually find it super easy… but I also have the right tools for it… without a good belt grinder and the experience I’ve got working with wood and steel … I’d probably pass the task to a gunsmith…

That said… if you screw up… depending on the pad, it’s a $35-$65 learning mistake… so not super costly… and can be a fun project…

You need a pad grinding fixture for that job. I use a Miles Gilbert one from MidwayUSA that allows you to set the heel and toe angles precisely & produces a nice finished result.

The Silvers red recoil pad is a nice touch on a rifle with a nice piece of timber
IMG_0125.jpeg

Attachments

1" decelerators are excellent for the cost. Will require fitting. My gunsmith friend has a jig that mounts on a disc sander.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarmellaX4

Latest profile posts

Another Wildebees cull shot this morning!
We are doing a cull hunt this week!

Hyde Hunter wrote on Ontario Hunter's profile.
which East Cape Taxidermist are you referring to? I had Lauriston do my work not real happy with them. oh thanks for the advise on the mount hangers a few months ago. Jim
jimbo1972 wrote on Bwaybuilder's profile.
Great to do business with
Grz63 wrote on Cecil Hammonds's profile.
Greetings from Clermont -ferrand !!