New Primed 375 H&H Brass

Bush Buck

AH senior member
Reaction score
Hunted
Namibia
I see that Raven Rocks is offering new 375 brass with Barnes head stamp and RWS primers.
Has anyone tried this brass?
Is it ready to reload or does it require prep? How do you prep brass that is already primed?
Has anyone been able to tell the difference between this primer and the ones they were previously using?

Thanks,
Bush Buck

I bought a couple of hundred cases from Raven Rocks with the Barnes headstamp, reportedly of Norma manufacture a couple of months ago. I've used them in both my practice loads (Sierra 200g SP) to get comfortable off sticks, and hunting loads (250g A Frame) as I work up the best bullet/powder combo for my first plains game hunt next year. It is technically ready to reload, but many ( around 30%) of the case mouths are out of round, some significantly so. I take the extra time to run each of them through a Lee collet neck sizing die by hand (die in one hand, case in the other) to prevent the decapping pin from going down too far into the primed case, as all I'm looking to do is uniform the case necks. This process goes very quickly, and I just did 50 rounds earlier today this way and it took maybe 10 minutes. Haven't had any issues with accuracy, fragility, etc., but I've only been through the cases I've fired one time so far. I was honestly thinking earlier today that if they are still on sale I'd like to pick up another couple hundred to keep in storage for the next ammo shortage.

The H&H case is probably long enough that one could probably just adjust the de capping pin and expander ball up enough as to not touch the primer but still expand the case neck.
If just the pin comes out of the expander ball easily, removing it would probably be easiest, but I have some that are fixed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chromeheartsring

Latest profile posts

EC HUNTING SAFARIS wrote on MarcoPani's profile.
Happy Birthday, from Grahamstown, South Africa.
I hope your day is great!
Cheers
Marius
EC HUNTING SAFARIS wrote on Ilkay Taskin's profile.
Happy Birthday from Grahamstown, South Africa! I hope you have a great day!
Cheers, Marius
idjeffp wrote on Jon R15's profile.
Hi Jon,
I saw your post for the .500 NE cases. Are these all brass or are they nickel plated? Hard for me to tell... sorry.
Thanks,
Jeff [redacted]
Boise, ID
[redacted]