www.tokoloshesafaris.info
Deals & offers
Media
Articles
Member of
Life Member Safari International, Life Members Dallas Safari Club
Hunted
Zimbabwe, South Africa, Tanzania
What is the proper way to vette a new member? New member, no previous posts. Could be a lot of money involved. Possibility of bad publicity for hunting.

I am very uncomfortable, but want to be fair.

Lon

That’s a tough one Lon. I’d say if you’re uncomfortable it lies with the new member to make you feel better about it. YOU are a known good guy and have nothing to prove. They can’t expect 100% trust as a new member. If you experience what you believe are “red flags”, trust your gut and don’t take the risk.

That’s a tough one Lon. I’d say if you’re uncomfortable it lies with the new member to make you feel better about it. YOU are a known good guy and have nothing to prove. They can’t expect 100% trust as a new member. If you experience what you believe are “red flags”, trust your gut and don’t take the risk.
Bee Ma, thank you for your vaued advice.
Lon

Well said !
It's up to the new member to earn the trust of the active members. I have to talk to you not text. Trust your guts, if it doesn't feel right, walk away.

You can always ask about their hunting experience. I think it totally "normal" for an outfitter to ask about this, particularly depending on the demands of the hunt. "Have you hunted Africa before?" - seems totally fine to me. Then maybe, "If I may ask, which outfitter?", etc... Just my thoughts.

I check references before booking a hunt. Is there a reason it’s unacceptable for an outfitter to ask the same thing? Asking for references of non-zim outfitters or booking agents that can be verified seems reasonable to me. I wouldn’t be offended if I was asked.

When filming takes place for a documentary. It had be edited to present things how ever they want.

Kind of like when 60 minutes show up on your front porch.

Lon

Post production is where the magic happens. An unwanted or unexpected narrative can be easily created. Deep dive on any prior documentaries, FB, YT, IG, etc…would a prudent minimum.

When filming takes place for a documentary. It had be edited to present things how ever they want.

Kind of like when 60 minutes show up on your front porch.

Lon
Years ago, when I was in college, all engineering majors had to take a class called "Ethics and Professionalism." I remember in that class, we watched a video that a large electric utility company had made. Basically, it was a rebuttal to a 60 Minutes hatchet job CBS had done on them. When the utility company agreed to let 60 Minutes do the show, they said under two conditions: First, the utility company would have their own film crew and wherever the CBS cameras went, the utility company would also be there getting the exact same footage. Second, the utility company got to review the final version and comment on it, at least one week before airing it on TV. The utility was building a nuclear power plant and there were delays and cost overruns. The 60 Minutes reporter would question a worker or exec and thought they were onto something. However, the company would explain in great detail what the 60 Minutes people were misunderstanding and calmly move on. 60 Minutes final version omitted many of the explanations and was very unfair and outright lied in many cases.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JanHollar

Latest profile posts

3 Wake Ups and South Africa Bound!
SETH RINGER wrote on Altitude sickness's profile.
I'LL TAKE THE BOOKS IF THEY ARE NOT SOLD. NO ?? ASKED
Hififile324 wrote on Charliehorse's profile.
Hi Charles, thanks for your interest in the .375 Ammo, Components and dies. Feel free to call or text [redacted]. Email [redacted]
Kudu2025 wrote on stk's profile.
I will take that Sako .375 if it is still available