New member from Sweden

A question: I read that your moose population is dropping. From a harvest of 100,000 to 70,000. Is this so? And why?
Welcome from Canada

A question: I read that your moose population is dropping. From a harvest of 100,000 to 70,000. Is this so? And why?
Welcome from Canada
Unfortunately this is true. The official numbers for last year were 63,024 (July 1st 2022 - June 30th 2023). This is down by ~10,000 from the previous year.

During the 90's into ~2020, the annual harvest was between 80,000 and 100,000.

Then again, in the 60's it was only 30,000.

Peak number was in the early 80's, with a nice figure uf 174,741.

The major reason for the most recent decline is that the forestry compaines (who own huge amounts of land, and hunting rights come with land ownership) complain that there is too much damage to the growing (young) trees, thereby stipulating higher quotas, and "forcing" those who lease the hunting rights to fill that quota, or run the risk of losing the lease.

Whether the moose alone is to blame I don't really know, but to some extent the 'efficient' forestry practices has also lead to this. If birch, alder, willow, oak, rowan etc are cleared away in order to maximize the growth for the fir and pine, then there is less food for the wildlife.

Unfortunately to some extent the wild game are being seen as pests, not only moose and wild boar, but also fallow and red deer, which locally can form dense populations.

Similar to here also many areas , and the wolf lovers mixed into it.

But there was in one area here where the migratory moose came from Sweden after the regular moose hunt was over , so Forrest firms got licensed hunts to take many dozens of moose each winter .
It was intended to be a free hunt for people to join and help out , but then a local hunt firm mixed in the also .

What came of it in the end was that part of the migratory moose was the ones setting down there to replenish the stock there . Remove that away and you get a severe drop in the population for long time ahead .

Reactions: cmk
Hello!
I'm a new member, located in north part of Sweden.
Haven't been in Africa.
But one day I want to hunt i South Africa, now I'm just planning, saving cash, learning from forums etc.
Got two .375H&H rifles today.. ZKK602 and a Win pre-64 "custom", great on swedish moose and brown bear.
And a couple of other rifles..
Welcome,

this is a great place for nice people and valuable information.

Have the rifles, waiting for cash to travel

Safe shooting

Eddie (have the rifles, waiting for cash)

Welcome to AH!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Anton12345