quesne

AH senior member
Reaction score
Member of
Zimbabwe Hunters Association
Hunted
Zimbabwe, Zambia, South Africa, Mauritius, Australia, U.S., Canada
Hello All:

Just thought I would introduce myself. It's a pleasure to find a friendly (and serious) place to share experiences about hunting in Africa. I look forward to (eventually) meeting everyone through discussion and the forums :)

Relevant background: As part of my grad studies, I did sustainable conservation and wildlife management research with the CAMPFIRE and ADMADE programs in Zimbabwe and Zambia between 1992 and 2000. As part of that research, I also travelled quite a bit in Malawi, Botswana, Namibia, Mozambique and ZA to document nascent wildlife conservation programs. I didn't spend all of that time in Africa, but probably a total of about 2 1/2 years on the ground.

My hunting experiences were primarily in Zimbabwe, where I knew a lot of people with private land. In and along the Great Dyke: Banket, Muzarabani, Muturoshanga, Mvurwi. I also hunted on a (very few) CAMPFIRE concession areas: The Save Valley, Omay TTL, Rifa, and Zvishavane. My first "Africa" rifle was a Winchester Model 95 that I bought new. I put a Williams peep site on it and had it chambered in 375 Hawk/Scovill. The ammo proved a little hard to source, of course, except when I came back to the states! (if I had known better at the time, I would have done it in 9.3x62) Soon after, I bought a sporterized Lee-Enfield 303, and eventually a CZ550 in 416 Rigby.

Anyway, my hunting experience is as old as dirt and NOT typical of what most people are looking for today. But it was very interesting for me, and I made a lot of friends and wonderful memories. I look forward to reading everyone else's stories and sharing vicariously in their experiences!

Sincerely,

Ken

Welcome.
Start sharing some of those hunts. You have certainly been in some interesting places.

:S Welcome:

Welcome to AH quesne! Great to have you join the conversation and looking forward to your participation.

Good day, we welcome you to AH!

Welcome to AH!

Welcome to AH!!

Welcome aboard!

Hello quesne,

Khomas Highland Huntijg Safaris of Namibia, welcomes you to the greatest forum on earth.

You certainly have enjoyed some great hunting areas.
I am looking forward to your posts and pictures.

Cheers,
Velo Dog.

Thank you very much everyone for the warm welcome! It will be a pleasure to post some stories about hunting (and Africa in general). Sound's like I need to dig out and scan some old photos :-)

Welcome! What experiences you have had! I am from Johnstown, Pennsylvania myself.
I was just out your way this past summer, Captain! The whole family camped out for a week in Ohiopyle State Park. Lots of canoeing, fishing and kayaking in the Youghiogheny river. Beautiful area :-)

I was just out your way this past summer, Captain! The whole family camped out for a week in Ohiopyle State Park. Lots of canoeing, fishing and kayaking in the Youghiogheny river. Beautiful area :)
Awesome! I love Ohiopyle, it exemplifies some of the best of PA. White water rated there and rode the bike trails a few times.

Welcome to the forum, you are in the right place!

Hello All:

Just thought I would introduce myself. It's a pleasure to find a friendly (and serious) place to share experiences about hunting in Africa. I look forward to (eventually) meeting everyone through discussion and the forums :)

Relevant background: As part of my grad studies, I did sustainable conservation and wildlife management research with the CAMPFIRE and ADMADE programs in Zimbabwe and Zambia between 1992 and 2000. As part of that research, I also travelled quite a bit in Malawi, Botswana, Namibia, Mozambique and ZA to document nascent wildlife conservation programs. I didn't spend all of that time in Africa, but probably a total of about 2 1/2 years on the ground.

My hunting experiences were primarily in Zimbabwe, where I knew a lot of people with private land. In and along the Great Dyke: Banket, Muzarabani, Muturoshanga, Mvurwi. I also hunted on a (very few) CAMPFIRE concession areas: The Save Valley, Omay TTL, Rifa, and Zvishavane. My first "Africa" rifle was a Winchester Model 95 that I bought new. I put a Williams peep site on it and had it chambered in 375 Hawk/Scovill. The ammo proved a little hard to source, of course, except when I came back to the states! (if I had known better at the time, I would have done it in 9.3x62) Soon after, I bought a sporterized Lee-Enfield 303, and eventually a CZ550 in 416 Rigby.

Anyway, my hunting experience is as old as dirt and NOT typical of what most people are looking for today. But it was very interesting for me, and I made a lot of friends and wonderful memories. I look forward to reading everyone else's stories and sharing vicariously in their experiences!

Sincerely,

Ken

Dear quesne

Welcome to this great Forum. We are eager to hear your stories.

Happy hunting!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BeulahLomb

Latest profile posts

NYAMAZANA SAFARIS wrote on majorsafari's profile.
Trail cam image is of a cat we never took .. it’s not a great image but I can assure you it’s a very big cat . Other photo is of my client with his cat this year .
thokau wrote on Just a dude in BC's profile.
Hallo, ein Freund von mir lebt auf einer Farm in den Rocky Mountains.
Leider kam es dort in den letzten Wochen zu Bränden.
Hoffe es geht dir gut!?