New Guy from SC

Bull Creek Boy

Reaction score
In reading some of the posts, it looks like scammers are a big concern, so I thought I would introduce myself. I am a builder located on Hilton Head Island, SC. I am 53 years old and a lifelong resident of this area, which is a bit unusual at this point. I grew up hunting the usual southern fare of deer, dove, ducks and squirrels. I have a friend that worked with us on a few projects that is from South Africa and have been with him and a group of friends/relatives a couple of times. I have plans to return next summer to hunt buffalo in either Zambia or Zimbabwe. My intent is to purchase a double gun in the coming months to begin preparing for next year. I am not hard-set on anything, which is part of my reasoning for joining. I look forward to learning all I can and hopefully get a decent deal on a double that I can cherish for a lifetime.

Welcome to AH.

Check out the forum's Classified section for all kinds of firearms, ammunition, and other assorted gear. Also check out the post by @rookhawk, Good Gun Deals this week.

Welcome to AH. Great forum here, you will enjoy it.

Thanks!

I have been given suggestions to look at a Heym or a Chapuis in either .375 H&H or .450-400. I am just starting the double gun journey, so I am open to other opinions and thoughts about how to get started. What should be my realistic budget?

:S Welcome:

Thanks!

I have been given suggestions to look at a Heym or a Chapuis in either .375 H&H or .450-400. I am just starting the double gun journey, so I am open to other opinions and thoughts about how to get started. What should be my realistic budget?

Depends on how much you are willing to spend. Bottom of the barrel production gun per se or Creamest off the top fully ornate custom gun. Somewhere in the middle "Plain Jane" working man's gun $15,000.00 to $40,000.00. O/U's seem to be running a bit less expensive than SxS's. And used guns, with exceptions, are a bit less expensive than new guns.

And then there is the cost of feeding the chosen caliber to consider.

Find the double you will be the most happiest with, set your budget for it, watch this forum, your LGS, and firearm auction houses.

Last edited:
In reading some of the posts, it looks like scammers are a big concern, so I thought I would introduce myself. I am a builder located on Hilton Head Island, SC. I am 53 years old and a lifelong resident of this area, which is a bit unusual at this point. I grew up hunting the usual southern fare of deer, dove, ducks and squirrels. I have a friend that worked with us on a few projects that is from South Africa and have been with him and a group of friends/relatives a couple of times. I have plans to return next summer to hunt buffalo in either Zambia or Zimbabwe. My intent is to purchase a double gun in the coming months to begin preparing for next year. I am not hard-set on anything, which is part of my reasoning for joining. I look forward to learning all I can and hopefully get a decent deal on a double that I can cherish for a lifetime.

Welcome to the forum! Your age and chapter of your life is perfectly timed for an annual safari!

I can already see that this is going to be a great place to gather info! The budget range from Ridge Runner has me adjusting my thoughts a little. In my pea-brain, I was thinking that 8-10K should get me in the running, but that sounds like the bare minimum for a used one and likely not what I want. I have some feelers out to friends and relatives as well. I'm positive that I will find the old widow woman that doesn't know what she has and is willing to give it away cheap. Blahahaha! Holding my breath.

I can already see that this is going to be a great place to gather info! The budget range from Ridge Runner has me adjusting my thoughts a little. In my pea-brain, I was thinking that 8-10K should get me in the running, but that sounds like the bare minimum for a used one and likely not what I want. I have some feelers out to friends and relatives as well. I'm positive that I will find the old widow woman that doesn't know what she has and is willing to give it away cheap. Blahahaha! Holding my breath.

Breathe, Breathe, ....Breathe.....you have just membered into the forum. That little old widow woman hasn't found where, or all of, her former husband's secret firearms storage areas are. You'll have to hope she can find those secret areas before her great great great grandchildren find them, by that time the firearms will have quentupled in value and they will sell them for what a new double cost today.:cry::(:cool:

Welcome aboard. I'm a Builder right up the road from you in Myrtle. Originally grew up in Charleston and grew up hunting down your way in Hampton, Allendale, Jasper and Bamberg Counties.

Welcome!!

This is as good a place as any to be enabled into buying guns.

For doubles I think Krieghoff and Heym are the sweet spot in terms of function and price.

I like krieghoff. I like the combo cocking safety. It really doesn’t take much effort to get used to. Dollar for dollar used krieghoff is the best buy in my opinion. Another good feature about krieghoff is that they have gunsmiths in the US.

.500/.416 is a great caliber for a client. It hits hard, penetrates like crazy, and has manageable recoil.

Welcome to AH

Good day! Welcome from our side too!

Greetings Bull Creek Management,

Khomas Highland Hunting & Fishing Safaris of Namibia, welcomes you to the greatest forum on earth.

For your search toward buying a double rifle, have a look into the GunsInternational.com web site.

Best Regards,
Velo Dog.

Welcome to AH. I would go with the Heym 450-400 as it is a beautiful and well built double.

Welcome aboard!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Timothyshize

Latest profile posts

John A Flaws wrote on Horbs's profile.
500 schuler magazine.jpg
500 schuler bore.jpg
500 and 425 rifles.jpg
500 and 425 magaizne.jpg
cwpayton wrote on Goat416's profile.
Goat416 welcome to the forum ,youve got some great pics and Im sure trophy's
ghay wrote on professor's profile.
Hello,
Would you consider selling just the Barnes 235's and 250g TTSX's?
Hunt27 wrote on Tra3's profile.
Spain, i booked through a consultant, i book almost everything through him now and he's done me right. his contact 724 986 7206 if interested and he will have more info to share,
I hunted elephant with Luke Samaris in 2005. It was my fourth safari and I tell you he is a fine gentleman the best. I got the opportunity to meet Patty Curtis, although never hunted with him but enjoyed our conversation around our tent in the Selous. Very sad for a tough guy to leave this world the way he did. Let’s pray the murderers are caught. I hope to see Luke in Nashville.